Pierce

Superstitious in fishing?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Back when I would take fish for the table I'd never kill the first legal fish of the trip.

As far as turtles, spots I fish it's not uncommon to see a terrapin or pelagic turtle on the end of a jetty. Kinda freaky seeing a head the size of a grapefruit looking at you but, I always considered them good luck.

Shooting stars and meteor showers always seemed to bring me luck.

Never really considered myself superstitious more like observing good omens. If that makes sense to anyone.

Uncommon duck species/ birds of prey/ shore birds too.

Porpoises on the other hand always seem to shut down a bite. But, I feel that's more fact than superstition 

5 hours ago, ASrod said:

All I know is that you can’t lose unless you choose. And I’ll be creeping while you’re sleeping, and scoring while you’re snoring because night time is the right time if you want to catch the big girls. And by the way, this plug is KILLAH!!!

Thanks for the reminder, that one had me close to deleting FB.

There are a couple of really big pointers I can give you regarding superstitions to be mindful of. 

The first real issue is the Chupacabra. When you pull up to a little island you have to be very careful not to bring any innocent looking little critters aboard. Look. I don't care if anybody reading this thinks it's okay to do that. 

Most of you have no idea what I'm talking about. But let me just tell you this. What I've seen would send shivers down your spine.

Chupacabravillainswiki.png.f0b3b691380d36dbbdddec3822f3dff0.png

2 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Cobia are known to hang with turtles, in the right waters obviously.

I fish last Sunday, saw couples of sea turtles in the area. No bait fish (small mullet) play around the water. The whole stretch of anglers on the rock never score any fish at all.

I will try for Cobia next time when turtle is around.

My buddy and I would count rabbits along the Northern State Pky on the way to our fishing spot.

The more rabbits we saw, the better the day would be. Well, that's what we believed.

Now my BIL and his two grown sons, you weren't even allowed to mention a fur bearing animal on the way to the boat ramp.

For the 80s and 90's I refused to bring a camera fishing cuz it would be bad luck.

When mobil phones came out, of course I had it with me.

After a  season, I realized I had a camera with me all that time and I didn't catch less.

But I'm not superstitious cuz I don't comb or brush my hair before I go fishing. I just tend to forget.

I'm even OK with catching a fish on the first cast now.... I keep fishing.

6 hours ago, foxfai said:

What's the story of the no banana in the boat again?

I think it has to do with back in the day , ships loaded with banana would bring poisonous spiders along for the ride in the banana stashes .. 

Have a group text with my fishing buddies. When ever I make the plans we seemed to get skunked. They haven’t caught on, so I just wait for the invite. 

it’s been 6 years, 4 months, 1 day.........

(just kidding !)