scoobydoo

Do I need an outfit to target giants.

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I'm more or less 'retired' as a boat fisherman at this point, but everything Kil said above is true. I used to go up to PEI for a week every fall...Have literally fought dozens of giants from 400-1200lbs, 100% on stand-up gear, and 90% on 80s. It can be done on a 50 for sure...like a 2 speed T-RX that has tons of drag, but it's hard. That's the beauty of PEI...since it's 99% catch and release, there's no stress...so stand up is fun...it's hard as hell on the body, and you need good form, a great harness, and you need to use a lot of drag (which hurts), but it's super fun and rewarding....and it's a true test of will. I've never killed a fish up there, so have never actually weighed one, but I'm confident I've caught at least 1 that was 1200lbs (was over 125"), two that were over 1000, a half dozen that were 900+, and I've literally caught dozens between 400-900lbs. Key is to use your legs, not your arms or back, and keep as much pressure as possible on them at all times...

IMG_2532.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

IMG_4967.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

Get in shape.

Cardio and deadlifts.

I’ve tangled with smaller tuna and larger 400 lb sharks.  Even the smaller fish are incredibly strong.

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Two schools of thought... What you say and low drag = less lactic build up... 

We have a mp 3000 spooled with a mile of 130 hollow.... That'll handle a giant via flip of a switch... Lol

We fought small giant for 12 hours in NC as the guy used light line (60 lb) and we couldn't use right drag. When we finally landed it, it was green and very wild.

18 hours ago, TimS said:

All the biologists in Canada disagree with you :) Then again, they have a one hour limit - if you don't land the fish in one hour you gotta cut it off. They actually have guys in boats that cruise through the fleet and let you know you are on the clock :)

There is someone named William Goldsmith (he's now the Executive Director of the American Saltwater Guides Association) who did some research--it may have been his PhD thesis, although I could be wrong about that--putting data-logging tags into big released bluefin and studying their survival.  Turned out that survival rates were high, so high that they surprised everyone.  The fish just dove beneath the thermocline and hung out until they were ready to go about their normal business.