scoobydoo

Do I need an outfit to target giants.

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Cool.

Lemme ask...I remember that video from awhile ago.....what happened....Did they dart it in the lower jaw and then release it? 

Dennis Braid, inventor of standup for giant, used to work with research personnel to land gaint and release them after getting data.  Dennis Braid used the boat in PEI and Capt thought it would be OK to bring giant on the boat and release them after measurement.  Capt got penalty after this video and they release giant in the water now. 

Mel was 72 years old and still could land giant.

Edited by ksong

On 6/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, CWitek said:

Funny, but the all-tackle record is something like 1,496 pounds, and as far as I know, it was taken in a fair fight.  One angler, fishing from a chair, without a harpoon.

How bout one guy, no chair and 120 inches? My "little" brother :th:  Captain said 1,000-1,100 pounds.  It's no 1,496 pounds, but a ten foot long tuna on standup gear is bad ass :)

Reel was a 70SVX with a ton of 200# Spiderwire Stealth....rod was an unlimited class custom job.

shadow1.jpg

shadow2.jpg

09-07-12 1159.JPG

shadow.jpg

23 mins ago, TimS said:

How bout one guy, no chair and 120 inches? My "little" brother :th:  Captain said 1,000-1,100 pounds.  It's no 1,496 pounds, but a ten foot long tuna on standup gear is bad ass :)

Reel was a 70SVX with a ton of 200# Spiderwire Stealth....rod was an unlimited class custom job.

shadow1.jpg

shadow2.jpg

09-07-12 1159.JPG

shadow.jpg

All held in by that lil hook

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Cool.

Lemme ask...I remember that video from awhile ago.....what happened....Did they dart it in the lower jaw and then release it? 

Video said 773 pounds...I'm guessing that it was weighed...or somebody thinks really highly of their weight estimations ;)

**didn't watch the video

TimS

9 mins ago, TimS said:

Video said 773 pounds...I'm guessing that it was weighed...or somebody thinks really highly of their weight estimations ;)

**didn't watch the video

TimS

They measured and it is estimated based on the book. 

9 mins ago, ksong said:

They measured and it is estimated based on the book. 

773 is pretty specific...775 or just under 800 would be more accurate ;) Saying 773 is crazy specific...but that's just my inner math nerd showing through :)

My brother's fish at 120"...what's the book say on that one? I never checked the book, just took captain's word for it. Hope all is well Kil, it's been too long...I'd love to fish with you again one of these days :)

TimS

23 mins ago, emptyhook said:

All held in by that lil hook

I'm telling you, I've never seen anything pulled on so hard by a hook in my life :eek: Props to @C-Fish for tying all the knots on that trip - zero knot failures...and there was pulling on those fish like I've never seen in my life :clap:

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

shadow1.jpg

shadow2.jpg

09-07-12 1159.JPG

shadow.jpg

1,000 will do in a one-on-one fight.  I'll admit I haven't come close to that yet.

Congrats to your brother.  Looks like it was a great fight.

29 mins ago, TimS said:

I'm telling you, I've never seen anything pulled on so hard by a hook in my life :eek: Props to @C-Fish for tying all the knots on that trip - zero knot failures...and there was pulling on those fish like I've never seen in my life :clap:

TimS

Yes there was some serious pulling going on. If you look at the drag lever it's pinned in the second picture of Brett. Full drag was measured on the scale at 80-pounds. Strike was a mere 56-pounds---ouch! The rod was custom made by Paul Bouchard in Jersey using a Calstar unlimited blank with a total rod length of 4' 10". It was one badass whammer jammer. That was a great trip. I still remember the PEI mussels the captain steamed in beer on the way back from the grounds each day. An awesome experience with good friends. I want to return to yesteryear. 

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Long battles on light tackle destroys the meat and if you have to let it go because of rec restrictions?   Its crab food.  

I have to invest in an 80 myself. Let me know if you find a deal on one. 

All the biologists in Canada disagree with you :) Then again, they have a one hour limit - if you don't land the fish in one hour you gotta cut it off. They actually have guys in boats that cruise through the fleet and let you know you are on the clock :)

34 mins ago, C-Fish said:

That was a great trip. I still remember the PEI mussels the captain steamed in beer on the way back from the grounds each day. An awesome experience with good friends. I want to return to yesteryear. 

Those mussels on the way home every day :drool:  That was a great trip :clap:

TimS

7 hours ago, ksong said:

Dennis Braid, inventor of standup for giant, used to work with research personnel to land gaint and release them after getting data.  Dennis Braid used the boat in PEI and Capt thought it would be OK to bring giant on the boat and release them after measurement.  Capt got penalty after this video and they release giant in the water now. 

Mel was 72 years old and still could land giant.

My question was regarding the long pole in the mouth as the mate pulls it in. 

7 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Long battles on light tackle destroys the meat and if you have to let it go because of rec restrictions?   Its crab food.  

I have to invest in an 80 myself. Let me know if you find a deal on one. 

Two schools of thought... What you say and low drag = less lactic build up... 

We have a mp 3000 spooled with a mile of 130 hollow.... That'll handle a giant via flip of a switch... Lol

On 6/27/2020 at 10:15 PM, c7272 said:

If you can chase them down a 50w can work.  An 80 or 130 is a chore to fish standup especially at high drag loads.

Never heard of anyone fishing a 130 standup.. Have caught dozens of fish between 500-1200lbs on 80s...all stand up...and with tons of drag. It hurts, but it works.