Do I need an outfit to target giants.

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

4 hours ago, Grayson said:

Friends don't let friends fish 80s in stand up. I had an 80 on a bent but Crowder, it's now been repurposed by a friend with a dolphin electric kit and is used for snowys and swords. 50 is all you want for standup, 80s are for rod holders fishing. 

I have 3 standup 80s on the boat.  27 pounds of drag isn't for everyone, but they do kill fish well.  And yes, we fish them from harness.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

36 mins ago, CWitek said:

I have 3 standup 80s on the boat.  27 pounds of drag isn't for everyone, but they do kill fish well.  And yes, we fish them from harness.

My idea of stand up is a bit different then, my 50s are set to 30-35. When I think of an 80, I think bent butt and holder fishing. Straight butt helps of course, just different areas.

Edited by Grayson

1 hour ago, Grayson said:

My idea of stand up is a bit different then, my 50s are set to 30-35. When I think of an 80, I think bent butt and holder fishing. Straight butt helps of course, just different areas.

I’m one of those rare souls who actually fishes 50 on my 50s and 80 on my 80s, and set the drag accordingly.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Lordy.

I had a friend hook me up to 30lb of drag on stand-up on dry land and he dragged me across his drive way kicking

How they hell do you lot do this?

Just sit back in the harness and let the fish do the hard work.  If you let the fish get your center of gravity too far forward, you could have some serious issues.

I was always intrigued by offshore big game fishing.

Never had the funds to do it.

I also  don’t think I’m enough of a risk taker in that I wouldn’t want to be in a harness that was  connected to a rod which was hooked to a giant fish which could easily drag me overboard.

Striped bass are more my speed.

2 hours ago, valentine said:

I also  don’t think I’m enough of a risk taker in that I wouldn’t want to be in a harness that was  connected to a rod which was hooked to a giant fish which could easily drag me overboard.

You could be like me and for your first jigged tooner.. Not scale test your drag and battle a 120lb bluefin for an hour and a half at 10lbs of drag... Lmao 

Or like last week after rebuilding a torsa 30 not test the drag and spend 20 mins on a pup abie... Lmao... Made for some good goofing that's for sure.. 

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

On 6/28/2020 at 8:37 PM, valentine said:

You'd be amazed at how little it can cost, relatively speaking.

I hooked up with a lot of fish, including tuna and quality sharks, from a 20-foot Sea Ox and a 115 hp Johnson, fishing out of Fire Island Inlet (and one weekend out of Montauk).  

My first yellowfih weighed 67 pounds.  I caught it on an Ugly Stick bluefish rod, a Penn 112H, and 30 pound Stren.

I was a few years out of school, a couple years married, and that's what I could afford.  Yes, a bigger boat and more sophisticated tackle make things easier, but don't let a lack of the perfect deprive you of the fun.

Okay, I see your point and, in that regard, I probably already have some old gear which could be pressed into service.

Gonna read up on the offshore game a bit more and see if I want to dip my toes in a bit. You’ve piqued my interest.

10 mins ago, valentine said:

Okay, I see your point and, in that regard, I probably already have some old gear which could be pressed into service.

Gonna read up on the offshore game a bit more and see if I want to dip my toes in a bit. You’ve piqued my interest.

This month, there were 40 pound bluefin in 120 feet of water, 20 miles off the beach.  Those are easily reachable, and you can catch them on heavy striped bass gear.  Just pick your days with respect to weather (never trust an approaching cold front), make sure your radio works, and make sure that you get a Highly Migratory Species Permit from NMFS.

You'll also have plenty of dolphin within range.

And if you can find some heavier gear, big thresher sharks--some over 400 pounds--are often under the bunker and chub mackerel schools (so get a shark endorsement for your HMS permit while you're at it).

Good luck.  Offshore is a wonderful world.

On June 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM, Grayson said:

Friends don't let friends fish 80s in stand up. I had an 80 on a bent but Crowder, it's now been repurposed by a friend with a dolphin electric kit and is used for snowys and swords. 50 is all you want for standup, 80s are for rod holders fishing. 

70 is the biggest id want on standup 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

21 mins ago, ksong said:

You can use 50W on standup for giant in 400 lb - 600 lb.

They seldom use heavy drag locally, but we used to use 50 lb - 60 lb drag for giant in PEI and land giant upto 900 lb within one hour.

Cool.

Lemme ask...I remember that video from awhile ago.....what happened....Did they dart it in the lower jaw and then release it? 

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

47 mins ago, ksong said:

You can use 50W on standup for giant in 400 lb - 600 lb.

They seldom use heavy drag locally, but we used to use 50 lb - 60 lb drag for giant in PEI and land giant upto 900 lb within one hour.

Crazy. 

Edited by The Riddler