scoobydoo

Do I need an outfit to target giants.

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have Tiargra 50 WLRSA's on bent butt crowders that have served well...

Never tangled with a giant.

Will be fishing an island off of Maine in the next month.

I'm overhauling a pair of Torsa 30's as well.

I'm experienced with fish up to 250lbs.....easy peezy.....Never tangled with anything 500 Plus.

Do I need an 80?

Will be fishing standup in about 250' of water in a center console.

Edited by scoobydoo

Make sure you have a rod holder or something similar in the bow. Then you can just let them tow you around until they get tired enough to bring in.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Have Tiargra 50 WLRSA's on bent butt crowders that have served well...

Never tangled with a giant.

Will be fishing an island off of Maine in the next month.

I'm overhauling a pair of Torsa 30's as well.

I'm experienced with fish up to 250lbs.....easy peezy.....Never tangled with anything 500 Plus.

Do I need an 80?

Will be fishing standup in about 250' of water in a center console.

Yes I would use an 80

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Tuxedo 

Does Pelagic make a tuxedo? 

If you can chase them down a 50w can work.  An 80 or 130 is a chore to fish standup especially at high drag loads.

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Make sure you have a rod holder or something similar in the bow. Then you can just let them tow you around until they get tired enough to bring in.

Not exactly sport fishing.  The idea is man vs. fish, not man vs. boat.  If you want to get towed, put some sort of seat in the bow (assuming you don't have a bow-mounted chair), strap into a harness and hang on.

Friends don't let friends fish 80s in stand up. I had an 80 on a bent but Crowder, it's now been repurposed by a friend with a dolphin electric kit and is used for snowys and swords. 50 is all you want for standup, 80s are for rod holders fishing. 

5 hours ago, CWitek said:

Not exactly sport fishing.  The idea is man vs. fish, not man vs. boat.  If you want to get towed, put some sort of seat in the bow (assuming you don't have a bow-mounted chair), strap into a harness and hang on.

When it comes to giants it’s crew and boat vs the fish. Mano a mani will kill both the fish and the angler.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Grayson said:

Friends don't let friends fish 80s in stand up. I had an 80 on a bent but Crowder, it's now been repurposed by a friend with a dolphin electric kit and is used for snowys and swords. 50 is all you want for standup, 80s are for rod holders fishing. 

You should have said 80 bent butts. On my boat we fish 80Ws stand up all the time, on 6 foot stand up rods. Even my daughter-in-law does it with no problem.

Edited by MakoMike

21 mins ago, MakoMike said:

When it comes to giants it’s crew and boat vs the fish. Mano a mani will kill both the fish and the angler.

Funny, but the all-tackle record is something like 1,496 pounds, and as far as I know, it was taken in a fair fight.  One angler, fishing from a chair, without a harpoon.

I find it somewhat pathetic that while old-time anglers were sportsmen, who fished under a code of one man, one fish, and prohibited equipment and techniques that gave the angler unfair advantage, today's fishermen are relative wimps, who care nothing for sportsmanship and are willing to tag-team a fish, keep the rod in a holder and are quick to use a dart.  In that, they represent commercial fishermen more than any sort of sportsman, and perhaps that's the clue:  The old-timers fished for sport and the honors that went with a memorable catch, while the new generation of tuna fishermen are fishing for dollars, and don't give a damn about anything else but what the market is like in Japan.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone isn't man enouigh to take on a fish on his own, stay out of the chair and leave it to someone who is.  My longest fight was 5 hours 35 minutes, and I went 4 1l.2 two years ago.  I;ve never quit on a fish.  When the day comes that I have to, I'll stop fishing offshore.