petergulickjr

What kind of ray was it?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My apologies for asking about something that happened 20 years ago.........but I just saw a post on cow nosed rays that jogged my memory. I was pretty new to surf fishing, lunking a northern Monmouth beach midday (lazily chunking - I had my Penn 705Z and nice Lamiglas rod spiked and was about 10' away digging a hole in the sand for my then 2 young daughters). Out of the corner of my eye I see my rod slam down hard in the sand and quickly, really quickly, being pulled into the water. I sprinted into the wash and half jumped-dove in and pulled it up out of the water, not in the wash, in the water. I walked back up onto the beach and after a long fight with a big crowd gathered around I pulled in and released a ray that was the size of a car hood - 4' +, closer to 5' across, no idea how heavy, and, snapped my rod in 1/2 (user error). So....what type of ray do we get around here that is that big?, sorry no pics, I don't think it had a protruding nose like a cownose or bull nosed ray.

 

Yes - I now have a slightly more appropriate, conventional chunking setup(s).

 

Thanks

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Petesweetmeat said:

My apologies for asking about something that happened 20 years ago.........but I just saw a post on cow nosed rays that jogged my memory. I was pretty new to surf fishing, lunking a northern Monmouth beach midday (lazily chunking - I had my Penn 705Z and nice Lamiglas rod spiked and was about 10' away digging a hole in the sand for my then 2 young daughters). Out of the corner of my eye I see my rod slam down hard in the sand and quickly, really quickly, being pulled into the water. I sprinted into the wash and half jumped-dove in and pulled it up out of the water, not in the wash, in the water. I walked back up onto the beach and after a long fight with a big crowd gathered around I pulled in and released a ray that was the size of a car hood - 4' +, closer to 5' across, no idea how heavy, and, snapped my rod in 1/2 (user error). So....what type of ray do we get around here that is that big?, sorry no pics, I don't think it had a protruding nose like a cownose or bull nosed ray.

 

Yes - I now have a slightly more appropriate, conventional chunking setup(s).

 

Thanks

 

Peter

Butterfly ray possibly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SIC

 

Hmmm....looked pretty similar to a Butterfly ray. I have never caught anything since that was much bigger than "normal" skates.  I catch a lot of skates and dogfish chunking at night - on clams and bunker.

 

Thanks

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, Petesweetmeat said:

SIC

 

Hmmm....looked pretty similar to a Butterfly ray. I have never caught anything since that was much bigger than "normal" skates.  I catch a lot of skates and dogfish chunking at night - on clams and bunker.

 

Thanks

 

Peter

I dont think they are that common but they are around. I was wading a SJ inlet last weekend at sun up and nearly stepped on one that was at least 5 feet wide. I don't know if they are dangerous,  the tail is really short, but in 2 feet of water it almost gave me a heart attack. :scared:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Hooked into a giant cow nose or an even bigger ray. It took my bg 5000’s 50lb braid down to less than a quarter of the spool. Then just stopped. I couldn’t even reel it in. I had to hold the line and drag it in for over 35 mins. Got it to about 20 feet in front of me then it snapped off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could've been a stingray (bluntnose or roughtail).  I caught some last year off the beach after I cast out spearing on a fishfinder rig.  Catching a stingray is like reeling in a garbage bag.  You basically need them to "lift" off of the bottom to be able to reel in.  Done it once for each species -- don't care to do it again.  The bluntnose ray was the more angst-inducing of the two because it has a whip-like tail.  The roughtail has a chubby tail.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, Sevendust111 said:

Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Hooked into a giant cow nose or an even bigger ray. It took my bg 5000’s 50lb braid down to less than a quarter of the spool. Then just stopped. I couldn’t even reel it in. I had to hold the line and drag it in for over 35 mins. Got it to about 20 feet in front of me then it snapped off. 

Big Rays will sometimes just dig in during a fight.  They are tough to move when that happens.    I have found that if you give the line some slack, they will think that the hook pulled and then swim off the bottom.   Then it is much easier to fight them.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Big Rays will sometimes just dig in during a fight.  They are tough to move when that happens.    I have found that if you give the line some slack, they will think that the hook pulled and then swim off the bottom.   Then it is much easier to fight them.....  

Thanks for the tip. Wish I knew that the other day haha. I did the exact opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hooked a huge ray last year that drew a crowd. after snapping it, a fellow fisherman said strumming the line when they suck bottom shakes them loose. tried it a few times after and seemed to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.