jjdbike

Pelagics in OC surf, moon phases?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey folks,

I’m trying to look forward to some surf fun.

last year we got lucky w/ a shot of bonito in the OC surf. So cool & fun!

last year many scored on Spanish & Bones in OC surf. I got this little guy (See below), watched a couple blitzes and missed a couple others the 3rd week of August.
I assume that bait, water temp and wind all have an impact on if and when they make an appearance.

I’m wondering if moon phase has any impact on the appearance of bones, Spanish or albies in our surf.

your thoughts?

JD

91926309-5E23-4EF5-8BC2-A2177474C073.jpeg

Edited by jjdbike

I wonder if no one is replying because they do not know? I've not encountered (at least that I was aware of), or fished for them enough to know. I do know that moon / tides can certainly have an impact on fishing for other species. 

I was hoping those who have experience and or target these species might visit their memories or even fishing logs and chime in.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Was  fishing from a river mouth when they started pushing the bait back into the river .when you did catch one you had to walk off the rocks back to the beach and land the fish.great fishing experience ,over 30 inches released .You could only fit 4 guys on the rocks to get a clean cast to get to them .Every one was more than polite as one of us hooked up his place was promptly taken went on for  about an hour .1st week September no storms perfect weather.moco.Never seen anglers that polite since but it was surf fishing as good as it gets for n.j.

7 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Was  fishing from a river mouth when they started pushing the bait back into the river .when you did catch one you had to walk off the rocks back to the beach and land the fish.great fishing experience ,over 30 inches released .You could only fit 4 guys on the rocks to get a clean cast to get to them .Every one was more than polite as one of us hooked up his place was promptly taken went on for  about an hour .1st week September no storms perfect weather.moco.Never seen anglers that polite since but it was surf fishing as good as it gets for n.j.

Very cool,

Thanks!

JD

If I recall my first 2019 spanish in OC was after July 4th. But I think a few schools moved through the surf earlier than that. They are already “around” (off shore a bit)  as I’ve seen a few party boats report them lately 

10 mins ago, BobBass said:

If I recall my first 2019 spanish in OC was after July 4th. But I think a few schools moved through the surf earlier than that. They are already “around” (off shore a bit)  as I’ve seen a few party boats report them lately 

Excellent!

Thanks.

JD

9 hours ago, cheech said:

The Gulf Stream brings those southern species to our shores.

Thanks, 

Thant makes sense. In that case, it wouldn't be impacted by moon / tide phases. Are there generally seasonal fluctuations of the Gulf Stream? Is it impacted by weather patterns? I'm thinking the Gulf Stream impacts weather patterns, not the other way around. 

Does it come, or bring warmer & potentially clearer water closer to shore generally at a certain time of the year, i.e. late summer? That would also explain the appearance mahi and tuna closer to sure in late summer.

JD

When I was into them the last 2 seasons, I think it has more to do with water being clear. They are sight feeders and need clean water to hunt. When they were thick it would turn off if water was dirty! Just my observation..

1 hour ago, libertyminded said:

When I was into them the last 2 seasons, I think it has more to do with water being clear. They are sight feeders and need clean water to hunt. When they were thick it would turn off if water was dirty! Just my observation..

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks!

This is from old marine biology class. North and northeast winds push eddies of warm water off gulf stream towards our coast those tropicalS often come in with those pockets of warmer water 

1 min ago, Potato Caboose said:

This is from old marine biology class. North and northeast winds push eddies of warm water off gulf stream towards our coast those tropicalS often come in with those pockets of warmer water 

Thanks, I wouldn’t have know that.

I wonder if there are some types of resources that can track those pockets of warm clear Gulf Stream water? 
if so, that would be important info to have when trying to hunt pelagics from the surf, or even from a boat (not that I have one or do that).
JD

1 hour ago, kurazy kracka said:

Spanish showed up in the DE surf last week, FYI. 

Good to know. I hope that's a good sign for NJ.

Thanks for sharing that.

44 mins ago, libertyminded said:

Best fight of last year! Fought harder than an albie of the same size. And much better eating! Can’t wait

6B942050-D40C-41D5-90FB-03A706A40048.jpeg

Wow, impressive fish. 

How formidable are those teeth? Are they a threat to light florocarbon?

JD