terry miller

mole crabs

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Something I been wanting to mess with . I know you jersey guys it’s common tactic . But up here in Long Island in my 25 plus years on the beaches fishing I never once seen anyone messing with drifting bugs for bass ..  anyone care to give a crash course .. 

im thinking like 4/0 gami Octopus hook like 36” leader and eggs sinker or the like maybe 1-2oz ?  And ya actively casting and swinging them down beach and real in and repeat . Or you trying to pin them in spot on bottom ? 

23 hours ago, Grayson said:

Play sand. Dry play sand, wet sand they pee and it kills them. I've kept them for over 2 weeks in dry sand, a wash and sand change every few days in cold weather or in a cooler.

Yup, dry sand in a 5 gallon bucket.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:46 AM, Grayson said:

Play sand. Dry play sand, wet sand they pee and it kills them. I've kept them for over 2 weeks in dry sand, a wash and sand change every few days in cold weather or in a cooler.

Wonder how that would do with green crabs

On 6/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, Wire For Fire said:

Something I been wanting to mess with . I know you jersey guys it’s common tactic . But up here in Long Island in my 25 plus years on the beaches fishing I never once seen anyone messing with drifting bugs for bass ..  anyone care to give a crash course .. 

im thinking like 4/0 gami Octopus hook like 36” leader and eggs sinker or the like maybe 1-2oz ?  And ya actively casting and swinging them down beach and real in and repeat . Or you trying to pin them in spot on bottom ? 

Gold #1 kahle hook for flea fishing.

18 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Wonder how that would do with green crabs

Not sure, I keep fiddler's alive in a bucket in the cooler, no sand. Can't have them to thick, so sometimes I'll layer and space with card board and elaborate things I rig up to throw away.

Thanks all.. 

Great info here as always.. I was on y tube looking as well.. Not familiar with the kahle style hook but will educate myself a bit. 

I like live / fresh bait if possible for most applications. (That's just me ).. 

I hate jerking around when I get wherever to fish , unless I have to. 

Haven't fish these baits in 25 plus years but , gonna give it a go . 

Thanks to everyone again for posting.

Much appreciated ...

Tommy

Edited by GoodWood69
Forgot to add something

2 hours ago, Grayson said:

Not sure, I keep fiddler's alive in a bucket in the cooler, no sand. Can't have them to thick, so sometimes I'll layer and space with card board and elaborate things I rig up to throw away.

Thats what I've always done.  Cold and moist.   I just copied what the fishhouses did from my foodservice/grocery days. Live shellfish. Cold & moist.  

On June 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM, Wire For Fire said:

start at 20 seconds in