terry miller

mole crabs

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I always just keep them cool and damp.   

Ice pack &/or shady spot. Rag soaked in the sea. 

yeah , me too but I wasn't planning to use them till several hours later. would be bringing them home till the gals were ready ( yikes !). wondered if I should put them in some wet sand or what.

9 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

I want to cook some this year. Saw some decent sized ones last time at the beach.

was up on a first bar yesterday and was walking back thru the 4-5 inches of water to the sand. there was like this migration of literally hundreds of them going dead east. as I approached the front wave of them would burrow. never saw anything like it. they were probably moving before low tide stranded them but it was only 1/2 hour or so till low and why would so many all decide to move at once. really cool sight. theres some good recipes online. 

1 hour ago, terry miller said:

yeah , me too but I wasn't planning to use them till several hours later. would be bringing them home till the gals were ready ( yikes !). wondered if I should put them in some wet sand or what.

Don't see why not.   

Is the preference for soft-shelled crabs a thing on the East Coast?
If you freeze them, use salt with them. I have heard of some vacuum sealing them also.

6 hours ago, terry miller said:

was up on a first bar yesterday and was walking back thru the 4-5 inches of water to the sand. there was like this migration of literally hundreds of them going dead east. as I approached the front wave of them would burrow. never saw anything like it. they were probably moving before low tide stranded them but it was only 1/2 hour or so till low and why would so many all decide to move at once. really cool sight. theres some good recipes online. 

Funny you should say that. Yesterday I saw hundreds of them coming out of the sand around the tide line in pools of water from waves washing up the beach then burrow when the water would recede. Outgoing. They would come out in these pools and start swimming around then disappear as the water receded.. It was pretty cool.

6 hours ago, terry miller said:

Store them in damp sand in a cool spot

11 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

In a plastic container in the fridge - they last for days

You can freeze them as well, they will still catch 

They dont lose integrity / get mushy if you freeze them?   They are really thick right now.  May squirrel some away. 

15 mins ago, 55555s said:

They dont lose integrity / get mushy if you freeze them?   They are really thick right now.  May squirrel some away. 

Blanching them before freezing will help their integrity.