Surfcaster809

Jigging World Nexus

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi All

I'm thinking of getting the spinning version in 7' but having trouble finding one. I can get the 7'6" version rated 30-50 as opposed to 20-40 for the 7' version. I will be mostly using it for fluke but who knows what else, maybe black fish jigging. Any opinions on which one would be appreciated. I've seen a few on the BST forum. Why are you guys selling them? Likes and dislikes?

Thanks

Bob

I don't have the spinning version but I do use the spiral wrap with a conventional for fluking. The rod is strong, and can handle some big fish, but the tip is softer than you would expect for a fluke rod. I actually prefer my Tsunami classic 7' heavy spinning rod with a small-ish spinning reel for fluking. I bring both along when I make a fluke trip, with slightly different rigging, but the spinning setup gets most of the use.

Bonus is it's half the price

I have the medium heavy conventional, good for light bucktailing up to 2oz although I’d say 1 oz is the money spot. If your planning to use heavier I’d suggest the heavy.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:00 PM, Surfcaster809 said:

Hi All

I'm thinking of getting the spinning version in 7' but having trouble finding one. I can get the 7'6" version rated 30-50 as opposed to 20-40 for the 7' version. I will be mostly using it for fluke but who knows what else, maybe black fish jigging. Any opinions on which one would be appreciated. I've seen a few on the BST forum. Why are you guys selling them? Likes and dislikes?

Thanks

Bob

Hey Bob

I actually own the 7ft MH Nexus rod in a spinning configuration and my father uses the 7'6ft rod. We both have used it for pretty much a year now and I have a pretty good opinion on the rods and how differently they perform. For the most part, the guys saying the tip of the Nexus rods as being soft are not wrong. It is a soft tip indeed. Its totally not ugly stik level of soft but compared to other fast action rods such as a St croix mojo or the loomis rods they are noticeably soft. We mainly use these rods as our go-to inshore rod for fishing jetties, piers, or for back bay for fluke, small bass, and anything that comes along. My father hooked into a 30lb cownose my accident last week and the rod handled it very well. We've jigged bucktails up to 4oz in Montauk and caught 8lb fluke flawlessly. There is a noticeable difference between the 7ft and the 7'6ft rod. The 7'6ft rod is heavier in weight and in handling. it is stiffer than the 7ft rod and can handle heavier gear. All in all, both rods are excellent choice for fluke, bass, and even tog jigging on wrecks out front. I used this rod for tog jigging off the jetties although its not the ideal thing to do but I like doing things in an unorthodox way. I hope this helps you have a better understanding of the rod and help you find the rod that you want!

Thanks for the comparison. I will mostly be using it for fluke in the bay with 1 oz bucktails. I usually like a little stiffer rod and have handled the 7'6" version in the store and like it. Unfortunately no one has the 7' around here so I cant actually compare them. If no one gets them in soon I may go for the heavier one since it may be a little better for black fish jigging if I decide to try that. Also I can get it now before summers over.

Thanks

Bob