Slowwwride

Porgies/Scup in the RB from the bank

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Fishing in my neck of the woods has been abysmal compared to last year. I'm just not seeing the blues and fluke we had last year after the stripers left the bay in 2019, compared to 2020. Wondering if anybody has had any luck fishing for scup or porgies from the bank. The tried and true bunker chunks haven't been getting much done in recent weeks. Plugging has been no better. I don't want to drive to Sandy Hook if I don't have to as I make that trip all fall long. I'm just not seeing bait at all, it's like the dead sea

I would figure your only chance would be a rocky embankment, not typical shore. I've seen them taken at Liberty State Park from the rocky bulkhead, but mostly shorts. Consider a kayak, drifting for fluke works pretty well if you have the tide and wind right. Still a lot of work to reset, but...fish.  I go up to the Western Sound for porgy, sucked a few weeks ago, totally skunked, but in the past has been awesome.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have never seen my part of the RB so utterly fishless. No bait, no fish at all, no signs of life at all. Very worrisome

Edited by Slowwwride
typos

On 6/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, Slowwwride said:

I have never seen my part of the RB so utterly fishless. No bait, no fish at all, no signs of life at all. Very worrisome

Southern Ocean County is awash in bunker.   More so than I can recall at this time of year.  Not finding the stripers or blues feeding though.  

My kid and I went “bluking” as he aptly named it yesterday. Did most of the spots ;)

on the western half of the Bayshore. Saw one guy hook into something big then lost it. We were getting that hard shunk and I was ready to throw in the towel, then my kid was like “one more place pleaaasseee daddy”.  We bought some poppers and he put one on. I just started learning to fish with them so everything he knows about them he learned from YouTube. These guys on kayaks  come in so I am talking to them, they got shunked. All the sudden my kid is like “I got one” and brought this little cocktail in. Cast, retrieve, landed 100% on his own. Both yakers broke out poppers and tried to get one too, no luck for them. Kid saved the day...

FCBC3FDF-3F4C-467A-AB1D-339D006B52FB.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

My kid and I went “bluking” as he aptly named it yesterday. Did most of the spots ;)

on the western half of the Bayshore. Saw one guy hook into something big then lost it. We were getting that hard shunk and I was ready to throw in the towel, then my kid was like “one more place pleaaasseee daddy”.  We bought some poppers and he put one on. I just started learning to fish with them so everything he knows about them he learned from YouTube. These guys on kayaks  come in so I am talking to them, they got shunked. All the sudden my kid is like “I got one” and brought this little cocktail in. Cast, retrieve, landed 100% on his own. Both yakers broke out poppers and tried to get one too, no luck for them. Kid saved the day...

FCBC3FDF-3F4C-467A-AB1D-339D006B52FB.jpeg

He’s going to be a fishing maniac- showing early signs. Nice job little man!!

Do porgies congregate at bridge pilings this side of the Hudson? The Marine Parkway Bridge across the mouth of JB is well known for them, but I've never heard of that here. 

15 hours ago, gellfex said:

Do porgies congregate at bridge pilings this side of the Hudson? The Marine Parkway Bridge across the mouth of JB is well known for them, but I've never heard of that here. 

I did catch about a half dozen around a small inlet with rock piling jetties on either side last year in the RB.

13 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

I did catch about a half dozen around a small inlet with rock piling jetties on either side last year in the RB.

Is that the one we live near

14 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

Is that the one we live near

Yes sir, up from the bridge right in the middle of the inlet. Hopefully the snappers come in there soon too. It was a good spot for them last year.

I haven't seen anyone catch porgies or kingfish in Raritan Bay/ River in about 4 years. When i 1st started my striper pursuit, back then, i would run into total noobs catching dozens of both species. I'm talking people with 4ft spincaster Barbie rods, bobbers, and nightcrawlers. They outcaught people with "legit" set-ups. So much has changed in 4 years

1 hour ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

I haven't seen anyone catch porgies or kingfish in Raritan Bay/ River in about 4 years. When i 1st started my striper pursuit, back then, i would run into total noobs catching dozens of both species. I'm talking people with 4ft spincaster Barbie rods, bobbers, and nightcrawlers. They outcaught people with "legit" set-ups. So much has changed in 4 years

I caught one small king on bloodworms in the RB last year. Definitely not worth targeting.