Surfcast23

Advice on a new setup

28 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am pretty new to fresh water bass and would like advice on a good setup.  I'll be kayak and canoe fishing in a lake with a lot of lily pads. I'd like a bait casing rig that will be decent at most methods. Looking to spend around $300. 

For fishing around lily pads u probably want a 7-7.5' med/heavy or heavy action rod. The heavy action is well suited for the pads but not for all purpose use. The med/heavy MIGHT get u through pads but will be better suited for all around use. The problem is some m/h are softer action  than others and will not be good for the pads. It's never simple. 50-65# braid is good for fishing pads but to heavy for most other applications. Again not simple

What is the lake you are planning on fishing like? 5 acres? 20 acres? 100?  It’s nice to have a frog rod and all, but you won’t have much fun if the fish are all 11- 14 inches. 

Will you be fishing year round? Water clarity and weed cover in the winter are very different than summer conditions. 

The main lake that I will be fishing has an area of 800 acres. I would like a rod that is more of an all around rod with frogging being just one technique with the understanding that no rod will do it all well.  As far as season all but winter it gets pretty cold here is Mass.

My next question would be, “what bass techniques are most interesting to you?”  You are more likely to be successful if you are doing something that feels right to you. 

I will never own a spinnerbait rod. I just don’t see the point. I do poorly with spinnerbaits because I just don’t think they are believable. My personality works better with topwater and minnow-style lures, so my rods are chosen to cast and work those kinds of lures. 

What kind of lures “feel” like they would work as you look at the water?

Well seeing how I am coming from a saltwater background I'd say every thing that is analogous to surf fishing. Top water,  lures, bouncing jigs etc. 

I don’t have a convenient answer for you. I just think that as you learn the lake, you will find that you are fishing different areas at different times of the year. 

That said, not matter the outfit, your reel will remain pretty much the same. You can start with a cheaper reel and spend the balance of your money trying different rods or get a better reel with a more generalist rod.

Lo-pro reels for bass are more similar than different. Most are built on the same platform and gear train with differences in materials and design adding value. Better reels have nicer backlash controls, but an educated thumb will manage a Black Max or Pro Max just fine. 

The other significant variable in lo-pro reels is gear ratio. None will really impede you for anything; they do satisfy preferences. 

Thinking about rods, they break into 3 ranges: 1/8-1/2, 1/2-1 and over 1. Within these ranges are technique-specific actions. In general, a fast action rod will serve as a good representative of each group. 7’ is a good overall length. My guess is that you will rarely want to throw more than 1/2 oz. 

Line is up to you. I think the best way to deal with it is get a main line that handles well and change leaders for your purpose. There is no law that says you can’t use an 8# leader on 30# braid. I am not a fan of rope, so I try to keep my main line as thin as possible. 

For $300 you could get 2 nice set ups. 

MH braid rod for senkos and a medium mono rod for crankbaits and topwater

6 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

I don’t have a convenient answer for you. I just think that as you learn the lake, you will find that you are fishing different areas at different times of the year. 

That said, not matter the outfit, your reel will remain pretty much the same. You can start with a cheaper reel and spend the balance of your money trying different rods or get a better reel with a more generalist rod.

Lo-pro reels for bass are more similar than different. Most are built on the same platform and gear train with differences in materials and design adding value. Better reels have nicer backlash controls, but an educated thumb will manage a Black Max or Pro Max just fine. 

The other significant variable in lo-pro reels is gear ratio. None will really impede you for anything; they do satisfy preferences. 

Thinking about rods, they break into 3 ranges: 1/8-1/2, 1/2-1 and over 1. Within these ranges are technique-specific actions. In general, a fast action rod will serve as a good representative of each group. 7’ is a good overall length. My guess is that you will rarely want to throw more than 1/2 oz. 

Line is up to you. I think the best way to deal with it is get a main line that handles well and change leaders for your purpose. There is no law that says you can’t use an 8# leader on 30# braid. I am not a fan of rope, so I try to keep my main line as thin as possible. 

^^ Great info here!

10 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

Thanks for so much for the information. I think I will start checking out clearance and closeout gear. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

What do y'all think of these combos?

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links here - you can describe the rods/reels and folks will help...posting links to them won't work :-)