Matty123

Outback on a civic help.

15 posts in this topic

Depends on which model Civic. 4 door sedan would be the easiest because of the roof lines. The front and rear roof racks can be spaced far enough apart to carry it safely. If you have a 2 door or hatchback or some other small model with a short sloped roof it can still be done with a trailer hitch and a goal post support. With a little ingenuity anything is possible.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:56 AM, Flip n Dip said:

Depends on which model Civic. 4 door sedan would be the easiest because of the roof lines. The front and rear roof racks can be spaced far enough apart to carry it safely. If you have a 2 door or hatchback or some other small model with a short sloped roof it can still be done with a trailer hitch and a goal post support. With a little ingenuity anything is possible.

Yes it’s a four door sedan. There are a few options out there I have to see which im

Gonna nab  

I had a 2008 Honda Civic that I put a used Thule Rack system on ... worked fine for carrying a kayak. Wasn't an Outback but wasn't a small light SIT kayak either ... 75 lbs Angler 160. Carried it right on the cross bars.

54 mins ago, Matty123 said:

Cool. Struggling to find a rail system that fits. That’s not 500 bucks 

Look used in CL or FB Marketplace. 

Try calling some auto salvage yards. Sometimes people junk cars with the roof racks on them. You might get lucky and find one that fits your car for a lot less than buying it new.

11 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

I used toys foam blocks on the Accord and run the straps through the doors. Never once had any problems. 

Can you explain what you mean by toy foam blocks? Like how big etc..? 

5 hours ago, Matty123 said:

Can you explain what you mean by toy foam blocks? Like how big etc..? 

Whoops. Typo. I don’t know how I typed “toys” lol. I used to use the Malone kayak blocks. 

F4CB5A25-7B32-4E51-8AA5-743A699D07D1.jpeg

On 7/5/2020 at 2:35 AM, Matt7082 said:

Whoops. Typo. I don’t know how I typed “toys” lol. I used to use the Malone kayak blocks. 

F4CB5A25-7B32-4E51-8AA5-743A699D07D1.jpeg

Don’t use this for carrying a heavy kayak like an Outback. This may work ok for something light but you will definitely dent your roof pretty good with this. Ask me how I know!