Rob greenpond

Canal rods for plugging and jigging or a hybrid that does both?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I was at Red Top yesterday and decided my current canal beginner rod is just not strong enough (Diawa Coastal SP 11’, 3-8 oz——max jig weight is 3.5 oz and lobbing maybe 4 tops!).  

Option #1: I started out looking at a new jig rod thinking I’d use the SP rod for just plugs, so with minimal choices in shop liked the Tsumani Elite 10’ 3-6 ($199) and was told it can jig the whole range...I believe it too.

Option#2:  Next looked at a Shimano Speedmaster 11’ 2-6 MH ($150)....was told this rod is the best value in the shop and can cast the whole range too.  This rod seems like a hybrid plugging and jigging—-be nice to carry only one rod for both jigging ...2 to 6 oz (mostly 3–4 oz).  Then just retire the SP coastal to beach fishing as it’s a nice rod.

What do you guys think between the above options #1 and #2?  Is there a better way to go ?  Are there better plugging or better jigging rods for a reasonable price ....under $300 unless super fantastic.....for the canal?  Thanks for any opinions or guidance 

Rob

What’s your price range . The Tfo rods are great rods .... if you have a higher price range look at the odm jigster in my opinion that is the beat canal rod hands down

Thanks so far—

Wilgabeast the SP 3-8 is grossly over estimated and the guys at red top totally agree it’s a 3.5 oz max maybe 4.  That’s why looking for another stronger rod.

Fishtheeast—Totally be nice to have one do all rod...plugging and jigging (jigs on ave. 3-4 oz, but sometimes 5 or 6oz max).  Do you actually have or use the Tsunami Elite 3-6 10’?   Is this a better do all rod?  So much easier to carry one rod but not sure if possible to get one rod for jigging and plugging.

Reference—my plugs are from 1.5 oz Yo Zuri Hydros to 4 oz stick shads, magic swimmers, pencil poppers....all typical canal lures.

How much is that DNA jigster $ and which model??  I keep hearing its the best all around do all canal rod?  Worth the $ and hype for the canal?

thanks,

Rob

19 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Thanks so far—

Wilgabeast the SP 3-8 is grossly over estimated and the guys at red top totally agree it’s a 3.5 oz max maybe 4.  That’s why looking for another stronger rod.

Fishtheeast—Totally be nice to have one do all rod...plugging and jigging (jigs on ave. 3-4 oz, but sometimes 5 or 6oz max).  Do you actually have or use the Tsunami Elite 3-6 10’?   Is this a better do all rod?  So much easier to carry one rod but not sure if possible to get one rod for jigging and plugging.

Reference—my plugs are from 1.5 oz Yo Zuri Hydros to 4 oz stick shads, magic swimmers, pencil poppers....all typical canal lures.

How much is that DNA jigster $ and which model??  I keep hearing its the best all around do all canal rod?  Worth the $ and hype for the canal?

thanks,

Rob

Yes I have this rod and use it a lot. It’s light and powerful. Does everything well. Casts all the typical canal lures well. It casts 2.5-4.5 the best but will cast a 1.5 fine and Iv casted 7 oz with it, wasn’t a bomb of a cast but never felt like it was going to explode. All you really need is a pencil popper, magic swimmer and a savage and it does all of those very well. 

For the canal it’s better to have gear that may be a little heavy so I would stay away from rods that are over rated. 

Never fished a jigster but everyone loves them. I believe they are around $450-$500. Nice rods. 

33 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Thanks so far—

thanks,

Rob

i would check

11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 1 oz - 6 oz

he has few models rods.

Hey Fishtheeast— thanks for the tremendously helpful first hand experience with the Tsunami Elite.  Based on what you said— this is now my front runner for an all around canal rod for both jigging savages and al gags and for throwing pencils, Magic swimmers and Yo Zuri Hydros....etc.  I also like the idea of a 10’ rod instead of the 11’ as my sense is it will less tiring.  

Also thinking my current reel would match up good too, which is a Diawa BG 4500.

I almost just impulse bought the 11’ Shimano Speed Master 2-6 at Red top yesterday as an all arounder but glad I dragged my feet to think between the Speed Master and the Tsunami Elite.

Will also look at the Jigster and Black Hole as others have mentioned here.  Right now the Tsunami is the front runner.

Anyone else agree or disagree on the Tsunami for $200?   Again thanks to all of you guys!

Rob

Hard to give advice since it’s so subjective, but after owning the 10’6” TFO 2-6 and the airwave elite 10’ 3-6, I’d take the TFO 10/10 times if fishing solely the canal. Airwave elite is definitely a solid rod and very capable of fishing chunks on the beach as well. Just not my cup of tea. Lot of great options, another is the Star VPR and Star Paraflex. Great value with the paraflex and a very capable rod. Star VPR is a totally different rod but casts very far and with very little effort and is a solid multipurpose rod. Have not fished ODM/Century so can’t comment there, and BH is a solid option, haven’t fished their SB special, but CC Heavy Surf 2 is my go to jigging rod. Without getting to try rods, buy something that fits your budget and go into it expecting that you will likely find that you eventually will want multiple rods for different situations/places and early/late season or plus/minus tides vs weaker tides. You are spot on that the 10’ or 10’6” rods are much more enjoyable and have better feel/control to jig for 6-8 hours compared to an 11’, not to mention 11’ cane be a big pita to cast with the rip rap at times.

2 hours ago, Rob greenpond said:

Hey Fishtheeast— thanks for the tremendously helpful first hand experience with the Tsunami Elite.  Based on what you said— this is now my front runner for an all around canal rod for both jigging savages and al gags and for throwing pencils, Magic swimmers and Yo Zuri Hydros....etc.  I also like the idea of a 10’ rod instead of the 11’ as my sense is it will less tiring.  

Also thinking my current reel would match up good too, which is a Diawa BG 4500.

I almost just impulse bought the 11’ Shimano Speed Master 2-6 at Red top yesterday as an all arounder but glad I dragged my feet to think between the Speed Master and the Tsunami Elite.

Will also look at the Jigster and Black Hole as others have mentioned here.  Right now the Tsunami is the front runner.

Anyone else agree or disagree on the Tsunami for $200?   Again thanks to all of you guys!

Rob

I also prefer the 10 footer because some spots at the canal prevent a full cast. 

Hey Rob..your thread interests me as I'm planning to buy a Canal rod to throw the same lures/weights as you mention. (My 10' Tsunami Airwave is fine for 2-3 oz pencils and bottle plugs.) I wonder if 10-6" would be sufficient. I assume 11' could get more distance, but I worry about the fatigue factor. I was looking at Tsunami 11', but reconsidering after seeing comments about casting difficulty at the Canal. Do any local retailers carry Black Hole and DNA rods? Thanks

5 hours ago, snag777 said:

i would check

11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 1 oz - 6 oz

he has few models rods.

I fished the Canal using the 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special rod recently.  I can cast far with 1.5 oz pencil popper as well as 5 oz jigs.

If you need a little beefer rod, you can choose 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 2 oz - 8 oz. 

Price ranges are $345 - $355.

20200624_052531.jpg

1 hour ago, fishtheeast said:

I also prefer the 10 footer because some spots at the canal prevent a full cast. 

I have fished 10, 10.5 and an 11' rod at the canal. 
For whatever reason, the 11' feels like it's twice as long where I don't feel a diff between the 10 and 10.5.   It's like they made the canal for 10.5 foot rods.