Justinj

Fluke jig heads

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Justinj said:

10lb braid and light rod

I use 8-10lb braid and 1/2oz jig heads when fluking from shore, but with a fairly long rod for casting distance. Especially when there are bonito/albies that could pop up suddenly it's nice to have a setup that also bombs 30g hardtail jigs very far

10 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

I use 8-10lb braid and 1/2oz jig heads when fluking from shore, but with a fairly long rod for casting distance. Especially when there are bonito/albies that could pop up suddenly it's nice to have a setup that also bombs 30g hardtail jigs very far

I cannot wait for albies to move in. I missed every “blitz” last year. They will put my little rod and my new penn to the test 

I'd suggest starting at this link.  It's here on SOL.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/716286-ball-bullet-and-shad-jig-heads-for-soft-plastic/

Here's pictures that go with the link.  If you want them painted that can be done.

fullsizeoutput_c.jpeg.746154294edcee10ad0070ece022aad4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_36.jpeg.0fcb5ebbd95fc8e7a437d6dcec165a13.jpeg

Here's my personal favorite.  Wobble jigs.  I've taken more fluke in the surf on these than anything else.

Link to them.  https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/760381-jigs-and-bucktails-for-fluke/

fullsizeoutput_14b.jpeg.796aedc7914965846ebabd7f355962b0.jpeg

There's several other jigs and bucktails for fluke in the Commercial B/S/T section

Link:  https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/58-jigs-bucktails-sinkers-metal/

13 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Agreed!

JD

22 hours ago, Jim H said:

This is what I use with that size Gulp or other plastics. I pour these myself and only in 3/8 & 1/2 oz. If I need to go to 1/4 oz I use a different head.

100_6794.JPG

^ Those look great!   

I think I would like Dan's Wobble heads quite a bit as well.  I need to put in an order.

21 hours ago, Justinj said:

10lb braid and light rod

6lb fireline and a lighter rod!  

:-)

22 hours ago, Jim H said:

This is what I use with that size Gulp or other plastics. I pour these myself and only in 3/8 & 1/2 oz. If I need to go to 1/4 oz I use a different head.

100_6794.JPG

Interesting jig head.  Any idea where I can find the mold?

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

^ Those look great!   

I think I would like Dan's Wobble heads quite a bit as well.  I need to put in an order.

6lb fireline and a lighter rod!  

:-)

Yup,

me two.

jd

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

Interesting jig head.  Any idea where I can find the mold?

Thank's for the comments!

Dan, Not unless you have it made. I made the mold for those jigs.  Used a Do It blank, lots & lots of time & patience, and cut it using a Dremel tool, drill & small files. 

It didn't turn our perfect, but has been a good addition to my mold collection & a very good type of jig for the fishing I do. 

I sent some of the jigs to friends of mine who all bass fish, and one fellow who fishes the Texas coast and they all said they worked as well as any jig they've used, so I think I accomplished what I wanted with it.  I've used regular type plastics, Gulp & the Zman plastics on them, and been happy with them. The Zman baits are tough to get on, but they last a long time once they're on. 

I was frustrated with some of the other jigs I had been using with how the plastic baits came off too easily, particularly when I had caught something. My thought was I wanted the plastics not to move, which is why there's 3 barbs, and they were intended to be at different angles. I also wanted the weight distributed a bit better on the hook, and I think I accomplished that too. 

The jig doesn't work well on thin plastics, as it tears them too much, but has been good for fatter, and some bigger baits. I like tossing the Zoom Fat Albert grubs on this head, and some of the bigger 4" to 6" swimbaits. 

I think now, that I should have added a weed guard, so perhaps at some later time I'll have a new  mold made in the same or a refined design, and with weed guards. To have molds made is costly as I'm sure you already know. 

As I mentioned, the mold only pours 3/8 & 1/2 once, and I would like some heavier and at least 1/4 oz too. I pour them with 4/0 or 5/0 heavy wire hooks. The jigs in the photo have some Mustad Ultra Points with the red finish because that's what I had at the time. Mustad has offered the same hooks with a tinned finish now, so that's what I've been using, or with a black nickel finish. :D

Edited by Jim H

20 mins ago, Jim H said:

Thank's for the comments!

Dan, Not unless you have it made. I made the mold for those jigs.  Used a Do It blank, lots & lots of time & patience, and cut it using a Dremel tool, drill & small files. 

It didn't turn our perfect, but has been a good addition to my mold collection & a very good type of jig for the fishing I do. 

I sent some of the jigs to friends of mine who all bass fish, and one fellow who fishes the Texas coast and they all said they worked as well as any jig they've used, so I think I accomplished what I wanted with it.  I've used regular type plastics, Gulp & the Zman plastics on them, and been happy with them. The Zman baits are tough to get on, but they last a long time once they're on. 

I was frustrated with some of the other jigs I had been using with how the plastic baits came off too easily, particularly when I had caught something. My thought was I wanted the plastics not to move, which is why there's 3 barbs, and they were intended to be at different angles. I also wanted the weight distributed a bit better on the hook, and I think I accomplished that too. 

The jig doesn't work well on thin plastics, as it tears them too much, but has been good for fatter, and some bigger baits. I like tossing the Zoom Fat Albert grubs on this head, and some of the bigger 4" to 6" swimbaits. 

I think now, that I should have added a weed guard, so perhaps at some later time I'll have a new  mold made in the same or a refined design, and with weed guards. To have molds made is costly as I'm sure you already know. 

As I mentioned, the mold only pours 3/8 & 1/2 once, and I would like some heavier and at least 1/4 oz too. I pour them with 4/0 or 5/0 heavy wire hooks. The jigs in the photo have some Mustad Ultra Points with the red finish because that's what I had at the time. Mustad has offered the same hooks with a tinned finish now, so that's what I've been using, or with a black nickel finish. :D

Re-working molds to make something new isn't always easy.  We both know that.  The good part is they don't have to be perfect to work.  If it's reasonably close the fish don't notice, don't know it and don't care.  

If I'm not mistaken that looks like the "Sparkie" jig.  Do-It makes the mold for those both with and without the weed guard feature.

As far as hooks go I use Mustad almost exclusively.  They make the most extensive line for my purposes but they're beginning to give me trouble.  Some of their short shank 60° jig hooks are being discontinued and inventories are drying up.  The next alternative costs 2 to 4 times as much.  There's always something.

16 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Re-working molds to make something new isn't always easy.  We both know that.  The good part is they don't have to be perfect to work.  If it's reasonably close the fish don't notice, don't know it and don't care.  

If I'm not mistaken that looks like the "Sparkie" jig.  Do-It makes the mold for those both with and without the weed guard feature.

As far as hooks go I use Mustad almost exclusively.  They make the most extensive line for my purposes but they're beginning to give me trouble.  Some of their short shank 60° jig hooks are being discontinued and inventories are drying up.  The next alternative costs 2 to 4 times as much.  There's always something.

I have both of the Do It Sparkie molds, with & without weed guards. It's a good design, and I use them a good bit. Not a lot different than the Arky style. The fact is there's a limited number of ways to get a similar result, but seems that everyone tries to reinvent the wheel. 

The head on my jigs is closer to an egg shape, but I guess they could look like the Sparkie shape too. I never intended that to be the case. In my effort of making them, and getting the weight close, I had to pour, weigh, then grind, then pour & so forth, to get them how I wanted, so the head took shape from that process. There's a difference in the shape between the two sizes, but as you say, the fish don't care. 

I agree with you 100% about the jig heads not needing to be perfect, or for the most part anything special. Many of the designs on the market now, particularly with bass jigs, is for the angler. I was looking for a better function, in my effort, and I think that I achieved it. At least I'm satisfied with the results. Would I like them to look "better", yes, but that has nothing to do with catching fish. 

I have most of the Do It Molds different designs. ( Over 360 molds now in my collection). I've modified many of them for additional purposes, but really have not reworked many to change them to something different. It was certainly a lot more work & effort to start with a blank mold, and go from there with a hand held grinder than I anticipated.  However, I'm glad I did it, as the experience was good and I think I learned a few things. For one, it's not an overnight job, which has given me a greater appreciation for CNC machines and those who can do that type of mold making. 

I have other ideas in mind for new molds, but the cost is the limiting factor. The next molds, may be CNC cut, and I'll just have to save up for it. I also have two more Do It blanks, so maybe I'll give another one a try with my Dremel, but if I do, it's going to have to be in cooler weather. It's been hot here lately, and has limited my desire to pour. :laugh:

I've been working on some spinnerbaits, Bonefish/Redfish jigs & some Crappie jigs lately, and the heat has hindered my progress. I've only been pouring early in the morning, or later in the evening. 

I too use a lot of Mustad hooks and am aware of the problems with them discontinuing hooks. I know that's been addressed in other discussion here on SOL. I also have been using the other brands, which do cost a good bit more. A lot of what I pour has been for the lakes here & bass fishing, not the bigger hooks for Stripers, although I do make some for our lake Stripers, they're generally not the same as what you make. I've been using more VMC hooks in place of some of the discontinued Mustads, but there's not exact replacements for all of them unfortunately, but you know that already. .