Justinj

Fluke jig heads

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend me jig heads in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2oz  that fit 4” gulp? I was using some homemade bullet heads that were perfect but am unable to get them anymore. Most hooks I’ve found on most jigheads are too large for the 4” swimming mullet. 

I use4” mullet on my teaser and 5” grub on my jug heads or 6” grub cut down a little so it locks on the barb. Had 15 fluke today 4 keepers and 3 keeper weaks all from shore. The spro style bucktail is the only jig head I use 4” mullet on...

8 hours ago, Justinj said:

Can anyone recommend me jig heads in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2oz  that fit 4” gulp? I was using some homemade bullet heads that were perfect but am unable to get them anymore. Most hooks I’ve found on most jigheads are too large for the 4” swimming mullet. 

In my opinion it depends on your situation. If from land, e.g. surf, I prefer eye closer to front so nose doesn’t dig into sand. If from boat I like eye on top so it presents horizontally. Shape depends on current speed. Do yourself a favor & look up Dan Tinman here on BST. He’ll help you find perfect jig for your situation. He’ll also make them custom w/ great quality & attention to detail & sell then to you for very reasonable price.

8 hours ago, JBay718 said:

I use4” mullet on my teaser and 5” grub on my jug heads or 6” grub cut down a little so it locks on the barb. Had 15 fluke today 4 keepers and 3 keeper weaks all from shore. The spro style bucktail is the only jig head I use 4” mullet on...

I like Spro style but not from surf. While they will work ok, other styles work better.

JD

44 mins ago, jjdbike said:

In my opinion it depends on your situation. If from land, e.g. surf, I prefer eye closer to front so nose doesn’t dig into sand. If from boat I like eye on top so it presents horizontally. Shape depends on current speed. Do yourself a favor & look up Dan Tinman here on BST. He’ll help you find perfect jig for your situation. He’ll also make them custom w/ great quality & attention to detail & sell then to you for very reasonable price.

I like Spro style but not from surf. While they will work ok, other styles work better.

JD

What do you use from surf?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I just got into fluking from the surf. How are you guys getting any casting distance with such small bucktails? I am finding that anything less than 1/2 and a gulp I  barely get out. And 3/4 gets me out way farther than 1/2.

Edited by Sevendust111

25 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I just got into fluking from the surf. How are you guys getting any casting distance with such small bucktails? I am finding that anything less than 1/2 and a gulp I  barely get out. And 3/4 gets me out way farther than 1/2.

Me personally I don’t go as light as the above poster but in my experience I never needed much distance fluking from shore they are usually right at my feet.

Dan the tinman makes a spro style head with the eye in front.  

Ordered some along with a bunch of other stuff. Haven't tried them yet. 

He makes quite a few different styles.  Check out his webpage. 

Another thing I've got comming is pompano jigs. Curious on how they'll work with a Gulp shrimp and sand eel.   I'm hopin it'll be a good sub for that tri fin whip tail.  Just fluke size

This is what I use with that size Gulp or other plastics. I pour these myself and only in 3/8 & 1/2 oz. If I need to go to 1/4 oz I use a different head.

100_6794.JPG

2 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

I only use 3/4 and 1oz. I find the extra distance helps especially for larger apecimens

3 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

10lb braid and light rod

3 hours ago, JBay718 said:

What do you use from surf?

Depends, I use a variety, from wobble head to sparkie to ball head. I like noticeable eyes, but that’s just me.

3 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

See below 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Dan the tinman makes a spro style head with the eye in front.  

Ordered some along with a bunch of other stuff. Haven't tried them yet. 

He makes quite a few different styles.  Check out his webpage. 

Another thing I've got comming is pompano jigs. Curious on how they'll work with a Gulp shrimp and sand eel.   I'm hopin it'll be a good sub for that tri fin whip tail.  Just fluke size

Yup Tinman

15 mins ago, Justinj said:

10lb braid and light rod

Absolutely, 

6 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

I don’t think you need to cast very far for shore fluke. I use a 7’ fast action medium rod that loads a 1/2oz bucktail with a 5” mullet perfectly. Same with 3/4. The line is 15lb to a 12lb mono leader and an end loop knot. I try to limit hardware for fluke- no clips, I never use a teaser. Light as possible works for me 

6 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

Lighter equipment and line...

1 hour ago, BobBass said:

I don’t think you need to cast very far for shore fluke. I use a 7’ fast action medium rod that loads a 1/2oz bucktail with a 5” mullet perfectly. Same with 3/4. The line is 15lb to a 12lb mono leader and an end loop knot. I try to limit hardware for fluke- no clips, I never use a teaser. Light as possible works for me 

no teaseat is also key. I never use one from shore. Only boat