LIfishingGuy

If Price wasn’t a factor what’s your setup?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

Fishing gear is DESIGNED to catch fishermen.  Some of you are retarded. 

And your point is?

10 hours ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

Well yeah - fly fishing to begin with isn't the most sensible way to catch fish; some of us just may be closer to the asylum than others

3 hours ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

fly fishing to begin with isn't the most sensible way to catch fish

I'm going to disagree. It seems ever since I started fly fishing, I've been catching more fish. I have to believe that feathers look more natural than plastic.

It's situational - clear, fairly shallow water you can (and should) outfish the hardware guys but the deeper and dirtier the water gets, the harder it is. And on any given day, a kid with a snoopy rod and a piece of hot dog for bait will catch the biggest fish.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:16 PM, bhorsley said:

bonefish/ albies --Sage Igniter 8wt and Seigler SF

10 wt set up. Sage Salt HD Seigler BF

Billfish  Sage Salt HD 16 wt --Mako 9600/9700  soon the Seigler XBF

I've looked at the Siegler...let me know what you think of it, always respected your opinon.

26 mins ago, formula1 said:

I've looked at the Siegler...let me know what you think of it, always respected your opinon.

I have been fishing them for a few years.  They are pretty spectacular. The preset is a game changer  for billfish.  I was lucky enough to get to fish Bahia Solono Columbia for yellowfin tuna. We caught close to 30 on the BF. 
the SF is my go to albie reel. 
Sarah and my reels are all snowflakes/proto

the final products are just right 

3 hours ago, bhorsley said:

I have been fishing them for a few years.  They are pretty spectacular. The preset is a game changer  for billfish.  I was lucky enough to get to fish Bahia Solono Columbia for yellowfin tuna. We caught close to 30 on the BF. 
the SF is my go to albie reel. 
Sarah and my reels are all snowflakes/proto

the final products are just right 

That's a solid endorsement in my eyes - how do you compare the Sieglers to the Makos?

I have way too many combos out there but this is what I like right now as my ultimate setup:

9 wt Hardy Sintrix ProAxis or Zephrus with a Mako 9550 or Tibor Riptide.

11 wt Hardy Zephrus with Mako 9600.  

12 wt Hardy Sintrix ProAxis with Mako 9600.

13-17 wt TFO Bluewater with Mako 9600 or 9700.   May have to try some Cam Sigler or Torrent Leviathan rods one day...my son is getting older now and allowing me more time to go after bluewater species again.

I do have multiples of every rod I really like...but...There are a number of rods out there that deserve honorable mention and travel with me as well but this was a question about ultimate setup.  Alternate rods each have something about them I like (like the new TFO A2s).  Also going to take a harder look at the Siegler reels based on bhorsley's posts.  

5 hours ago, formula1 said:

That's a solid endorsement in my eyes - how do you compare the Sieglers to the Makos?

Makos are super reels or at least the ones I have.   I just sold my 9550 because i did not use it after I got the Seigler BF and I have. Charlton 8550. We have  9500 that has hardly beeen used — weird size to me.   9600 and 9700s are super billfish reels. But the lever on the Seigler is very useful.  When an albie or tuna charges under the bait and you can not get to the stern or bow quick enough, with your little finger on the lecdr

you can back the drag off almost instantly and get straightened out and back on the drag

Quick PSA....

Folks, we all have opinions and this forum allows you to share yours. Now, big shocker here, your opinions might be different than others. Please discuss and treat all members respectfully even if you disagree with their opinions. If you cannot do so please skip the thread, or even consider the "ignore" feature. 

Carry on......

On 6/29/2020 at 10:17 PM, SacoStriperFisha said:

Buying fishing gear is far better than wasting your money on moronic things like golf clubs.  

What did you shoot yesterday?

Money no object ? I wade through all the custom builders till I found one I felt confident in . Then I'd have said maker build me another Leonard Catskill petite 8 1/2 foot 3 pc 3 tips 2 mid sections for a 5 weight line . The reel's a tough one maybe a Leonard or a 3 inch Hardy perfect . The rod may cost a tad more than the $ 45.00 it originally went for it in the 1920's .