LIfishingGuy

If Price wasn’t a factor what’s your setup?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, slip n slide said:

how'd you get a 1 pc? was told they don't have them....

At the time, custom options included the number of pieces. I see that is no longer the case. (Good thing I bought two of them! :) )

Cheers,

Graeme

I think I'm supposed to say something like Loomis NRX or NRX+ but I do own a Hardy Zephrus and an Orvis Recon.  I enjoy them much so I will say the latest version of Hardy Zephrus (or Recon).  As for a reel I always wanted a classic cork drag reel like Abel, Tibor or Islander so any of those will suffice.

My needs are in line with my (somewhat limited) abilities.  So already more than happy with Redington CPS single hand rods in 7wt, 9wt, Nautilus FWx (upgraded bearing) and Lamson Litespeed 3.5.  My trout-bum setups are cheap and I'd likely not upgrade them.  I don't think any of my trout setups cost me more than $150 including line.  Have tried and still own too many 8wts.  Best so far is the Powell Tiboron II.  Same reels as above.

Ten weight single hand rod is where I'd possibly spend more money - and I DO already own a CTS 10w built by Herb - I'm looking at the Echo EPR or else TFO Axiom 2x (per Formula 1's recent review) - matched with a Galvan Torque 10.   If I get another stimulus check it's going to help pay for the Torque.

For two hand rods, I really can't see spending more than $200 unless its a Burkie or Meiser or one of Mike O's out front two-handers.  My two hand rods are mostly used items from guys who upgraded.  In other words I picked up their steelhead mojo.  Gotta get ~999 casts out of the way,  Steelhead mojo is priceless!!

If I did more blue water boat fishing I'd probably want a different set up.  Maybe a Cam Sigler 12wt with an Abel reel in Dorado or Roosterfish garb.

For long years I've had a pair of Abel 3Ns on 8- and 10-weight Thomas & Thomas Horizons. Can't imagine wanting or needing more.

I'd love to have a Tibor Freestone for a nice light 6wt  saltwater flats setup. I do have a Billy Pate Trout reel with a cut down 6wt airflo tropical bonefish line paired up with a TFO TICR which is perfect for that task - don't know why I want the Freestone. For some reason, I don't think too much about rods - mostly have old TICRs and Redington CPS rods that I got cheap on close out or used off ebay

A 12'9"  Oliver Custom Rods Mark II two hander built by the master himself, Mike Oliver and a Valentine PL 11 anti-reverse multiplier,  though I admit to being very prejudiced and in more ways than one. ;) 

32 mins ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

I'd love to have a Tibor Freestone for a nice light 6wt  saltwater flats setup. I do have a Billy Pate Trout reel with a cut down 6wt airflo tropical bonefish line paired up with a TFO TICR which is perfect for that task - don't know why I want the Freestone. For some reason, I don't think too much about rods - mostly have old TICRs and Redington CPS rods that I got cheap on close out or used off ebay

I’ve been looking for one. Not many around. 

10 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve been looking for one. Not many around. 

The ones that show up go for way too much money. Tibor should bring it - or something similar - back. 

I really like the first iteration of the orvis Helios and would love one in a  9  . A compatible  waterworks/lamson or a Galvan and  I'd be well satisfied. Like the older Sage and Winstons I use to not seek replacements seriously.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, LIfishingGuy said:

My question is: If price wasn’t a factor what rod/reel combo would you go with for a saltwater fly rod and reel for stripers in the 8-10 wt range? (Price is a factor with me, and for almost everyone out there, but just curious to find out what people’s dream setup would be.)

Price / Performance / Status & Style .... always a factor. But ultimately it's how a set up comes together in terms of "feel". From how the cork fits in your hand, how the weight of the reel balances the rod, the audio click out & in, smoothness of the drag, lightness of the rod, casting performance, etc. etc.

So being a gear hound and having had in hand most every rod & reel make ... I'm left with a select grouping / collection of rods and reels. I have them mostly at half MSRP ... so the rational to keep them is very much driven by that price factor. Yet having a dozen rods and a half dozen reels is NOT rational ... as you can only fish one set up at a time.

If I had to choose one set up for the ocean shores ... just one reel  ... it would be the Tibor Riptide / original series to mid-life models. The rods matched to that reel ... an old school factory G Loomis GLX 10ft 9wt 2pc, then an old school custom built T&T Horizon 9wt ... and most recently a custom Sage Z Axis 8110-4 Switch rod. All these rods mentioned dial in as 10weight WFI casting rods.

On the lighter side that I fish the most overall, fishing every spring way up a tidal river ... I've caught countless fish (Shad & Stripers) on an Islander FR1 reel and either a G Loomis GLX 10ft / 7 or 6wt 2pc rod .... and more recently a custom Sage XP 10ft 6wt 4pc. The Islander FR1 at 8 ounces balances those 10 foot 6 weight rods perfectly.

I haven't found over the years ... any combination to replace the satisfaction I have with the set ups mentioned ... but I keep trying.

Cheers!

5efa078e4a32c_SageXPIslanderFR1.jpeg.dfce1dd25079fb221d5ae802ef95ac5a.jpeg

I am pretty happy with my loomis asquith 9wt and tibor riptide.  my back-up Winston boron iix with a lamson litespeed micra 5 is very nice as well, however.