LIfishingGuy

If Price wasn’t a factor what’s your setup?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

My question is: If price wasn’t a factor what rod/reel combo would you go with for a saltwater fly rod and reel for stripers in the 8-10 wt range? (Price is a factor with me, and for almost everyone out there, but just curious to find out what people’s dream setup would be.)

I own GLX Crosscurrents, Sage XP's, but my favorite rod day in and day out is a classic ECHO 8wt - if the day ever comes that it breaks I may cry.

As for reels, I've never found one I truly liked just ones I've hated less.  For what its worth, so far I hate my nautilus NV the least.

Not too worried about the rod but I'd buy the Mako 9500 in stealth finish as the reel. I've got the standard black one but would love another.

(My go-to rod in this line weight is a single piece 8' CTS 'glass rod of my own design.)

Cheers,

Graeme

For that light stuff and light fighting fish I would probably go with Vision Merisuola rod and Nautilus CCF-X2 with modified drag (to get rid of that ridiculous infinityadjustment).

For fish more fight into them and heavier gear I would go with my hybrid rod and Mako reel.

I have some of the original Loop reels and Hayden reels. So for me the high end has been reached. I’ve even own some Steelfin reels. Smaller sized but again nice reels. 

But, the high end I’ve always liked Hardy. Quality and finish is real nice. I have a couple hardy rods, they come even with ferrel caps to them. Just a well built fit and finish. 

I don’t really have a dream set up but I like to buy discounted at shows, used or discontinued higher end gear. Makes price more justifiable. I’m fishing a Sage Method 10wt and Hatch 9 right now that I like but been mostly fishing a two hand that I built(first build) and a used Van Staal CVex I bought on here. All purchased discounted. 

9 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Not too worried about the rod but I'd buy the Mako 9500 in stealth finish as the reel. I've got the standard black one but would love another.

(My go-to rod in this line weight is a single piece 8' CTS 'glass rod of my own design.)

Cheers,

Graeme

how'd you get a 1 pc? was told they don't have them....

I firmly believe that you get what you pay for so go with a known name for they all make quality products. It's hard to choose if you haven't tried casting every rod. Like photography I made the decision to go with Nikon over Canon, just my personal choice. For fly fishing I choose the Sage Salt HD rod and the Sage Spectrum Max reel with the Rio Bonefish Quickshooter line, and have been completely satisfied.

I would go Mako on the reel as well with Tibor, which I presently own, coming in second.  All my rods are like 30 years old now, except for my Colton. I am a Sage and Thomas & Thomas guy, so I would probably go with one of their top of the line rods now.

12 hours ago, LIfishingGuy said:

My question is: If price wasn’t a factor what rod/reel combo would you go with for a saltwater fly rod and reel for stripers in the 8-10 wt range? (Price is a factor with me, and for almost everyone out there, but just curious to find out what people’s dream setup would be.)

reed Two Handed rod tred.

get yourself NGT 2.75 lb carp rod 12' for $50

reel Piscifun $135 anodized sealed

you put that fly reel on that rod and you can use that as Two handed fly rod,beter then any factory build fancy rod,and perform much beter then factory build any price and much beter then single handed fly rod for few bucks.

i do not go with that,you get what you pay for.

NGT carp rod work beter then any $1000 rod.

if NGT rod is soled for $50 and they redy make profit,the $1000 rod is made top$100 and $900 is profit.

bonefish/ albies --Sage Igniter 8wt and Seigler SF

10 wt set up. Sage Salt HD Seigler BF

Billfish  Sage Salt HD 16 wt --Mako 9600/9700  soon the Seigler XBF

17 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Cheers,

Graeme

I'd also go with the Mako 9500 & the rod would be matched up to the type of fishing I'd be doing and also the warranty would be factored in. 

Based on warranty I would definitely go with G Loomis at this point in time and since the warranty on the NRX Plus is very hard to beat, this would be (and is) my preferred saltwater rod hands down.