scoobydoo

No longer itch from mosquito bites

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Soooo yeah... 2020...I no longer itch from skeeter bites. 

I've gotten lit up a few times this year.... I'll feel the bites and they'll  be visible and all... But zero and I mean zero itching. 

Not even the 4 bites on my fingers from last night. The only thing I feel is the initial discomfort if the swelling and that's gone in minutes.  One of the theories is maybe I had covid 19 and this is a side effect. 

Started noticing about a month or two ago... Nobody I've spoken with about it has experienced the change. 

Anyone here? 

And I don't get ticks... Still 0 in half a decade.  And 1000 on friends walking right next to me.  One trip was 35 - 0 (I think I logged 100 miles through shoulder and above tick grass this year and hundreds more prior to it being grown in....) zero 

I only see them at home or on my center console... And by at home I mean on the wall or something other than me. 

Edited by scoobydoo

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

Soooo yeah... 2020...I no longer itch from skeeter bites. 

I've gotten lit up a few times this year.... I'll feel the bites and they'll  be visible and all... But zero and I mean zero itching. 

Not even the 4 bites on my fingers from last night. The only thing I feel is the initial discomfort if the swelling and that's gone in minutes. 

Started noticing about a month ago... Nobody I've spoken with about it has experienced the change. 

Anyone here? 

And I don't get ticks... Still 0 in half a decade.  And 1000 on friends walking right next to me.  One trip was 35 - 0 (I think I logged 100 miles through shoulder and above tick grass this year and hundreds more prior to it being grown in....) zero 

I only see them at home or on my center console... And by at home I mean on the wall or something other than me. 

Weird, same thing here. I got eaten alive last light, but feel fine today and no itchiness or signs of any bites. I also don’t really get ticks when other people with me will pick off 3 or 4.

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, Popasilov said:

You guys are lucky.

I have itch for 10 days and longer after bites.

Benadryl itch stopping cream.

Mosquitos don’t bother me (20 years in Alaska bush).

But,no-seeums itch for days. This stuff works for me.:howdy:

Edited by olvart

It’s not that you do not itch, it is you no longer need to scratch 

congratulations on your next belt grasshopper

50 mins ago, olvart said:

Benadryl itch stopping cream.

45 mins ago, CharlieCompany said:

An astringent like calamine lotion.

I tried almost all of the stuff out there, with some prescribed medicine but no help.

Bite marks are sometimes big as half a dollar coin, sometimes fill like i have a small rock under the skin and it stays itchy for long time.

Our skeeters bite for about half an hour right at dark. I don’t like to use Deet on my skin, so I just gut it out. I will get a quarter- sized lump on me that itches for 15 minutes or so. By the time I am back in the parking lot everything is gone. 

As a child, I would have mosquito bites for several days. They stopped bothering me in my mid 30’s. How does that match up with everyone else?

I do use Deet on my pants cuffs when walking through woods. I think it reduces ticks and chiggers, but couldn’t say for sure- I get them occasionally either way. 

I suffer badly when I get bit, for at least a week, longer if it is a house spider bite.

Absorbine Jr. is an astringent that seams to help, and I vaguely recall witch hazel helping years ago.

I’ve been hyper sensitive to insect bites since being bit by a brown recluse spider years ago. Doctor said I was very lucky, the spider must have been either half dead or immature. It was a real **** show at the hospital, I can guarantee you that! Bit on the ass, to add insult to injury.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and I was bit on the hand by a hobo spider. Another circus at the hospital, with multiple rounds of antibiotics. Now if a mosquito gets me, it is a real misery.

Never been bit by a tick....yet. If I ever get bit by a black widow, I will have had the Big Three of spider bites. Not really looking to score that distinction.....

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

Weird, same thing here. I got eaten alive last light, but feel fine today and no itchiness or signs of any bites. I also don’t really get ticks when other people with me will pick off 3 or 4.

Strange isn't it.... I was fully expecting a few days of "faaack this sucks" with the bites on my hands.... Nada.  And it's been like that for awhile 

1 min ago, Otony said:

I suffer badly when I get bit, for at least a week, longer if it is a house spider bite.

Absorbine Jr. is an astringent that seams to help, and I vaguely recall witch hazel helping years ago.

I’ve been hyper sensitive to insect bites since being bit by a brown recluse spider years ago. Doctor said I was very lucky, the spider must have been either half dead or immature. It was a real **** show at the hospital, I can guarantee you that! Bit on the ass, to add insult to injury.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and I was bit on the hand by a hobo spider. Another circus at the hospital, with multiple rounds of antibiotics. Now if a mosquito gets me, it is a real misery.

Never been bit by a tick....yet. If I ever get bit by a black widow, I will have had the Big Three of spider bites. Not really looking to score that distinction.....

Jeez.... Where did you come Accross a hobo spider... That's not one ya hear about every day.

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Jeez.... Where did you come Accross a hobo spider... That's not one ya hear about every day.

Apparently in my bedroom!

We live on a small farm, 3.64 acres, and I fight with earwigs, wasps, ants (several kinds, including biters), box elder beetles, miscellaneous other bugs, and various spiders. My wife is anti-pesticides usually, though she allowed it when ants tried building a nest in our bathroom wall.

We use Tanglefoot in our orchard, which is essentially a grease that is put on around the tree trunks in a ring pattern. It keeps the critters from climbing up the trunk and eating their way into apricots and cherries. Around the house we use diatomaceous earth on the door sills, it kills most bugs trying to come in. Inside I use mint oil diluted in water to spray under furniture and in nooks and crannies. It’s pretty effective at keeping spiders away, which was a mind blower.

I keep campaigning for a move to the coast, but it would just mean a different set of things I suppose. For now it’s a struggle, but we are working with a developer to cut our place down to one acre and build ten houses on the rest. Less raw land, more manicured land, maybe less insects? Not the reason for developing of course, money in our pocket and less work is the primary goal, but if the critters are diminished in the process, so be it.

One of my sons looks at a bug the wrong way and the bite swells up so bad it’s looks painful. Doesn’t bother him much. Tick bites bother me, itch like mad for a week. 

I’ve had Spotted Fever from ticks twice in my adult life and Lyme once.  Now when I go into the woods I could be rated an EPA Hazardous chemical site - I use Permethrin on my clothing (day before heading out), Picaridin on my clothes when I get out of the truck and DEET on my clothes.  I carry a ThermaCell when fishing or turkey hunting in the spring and summer.  I have no plans to ever suffer through those diseases again.  There is another tick born disease now that ruins your ability to eat or digest red meat (including venison) - not sure the name of that one.  OH