drmevo

GoPro Hero8 Black

37 posts in this topic

I decided to take the plunge and order a GoPro Hero8 Black. I read through some older GoPro threads but I didn't see much about this model. Does anyone else have one? How do you like to mount it? Any accessories I should think about getting? It comes bundled with an extra battery, a head strap, and the tripod/hand grip thing, as well as 32GB micro SD but I also ordered a 256GB card. It seems like just using the head strap would be easiest for fishing footage but then you don't get a picture of yourself holding the fish. 

I just bought the black seven on a deep discount and picked up Flexible connectors on the Revo 16.  One for the lamp one for the seven.  I bought the flexible connectors at Hunts in Melrose. 

4FD7D120-6039-4285-99AD-3FA9656A9B0B.jpeg

These are the mounts.  Not stainless but if I get a year or two fine.  Hunts has it for same price.

158C66C0-83C6-4456-B03B-64A1AA00D668.png

5 mins ago, The Riddler said:

These are the mounts.  Not stainless but if I get a year or two fine.  Hunts has it for same price.

158C66C0-83C6-4456-B03B-64A1AA00D668.png

Those looks nice. My mast mount is free so maybe I’ll rig up something with that. 

1 hour ago, CharlieCompany said:

I have one quick and semi obvious question not aimed at anything about the OP's original question.

Why is this dude setting up light years away from the ocean?

Did he get this message?

"....from a distance!"

Let us know how you like it. I’m still waiting for my GoPro Session 4 to die. Damn thing is built like a tank and it works well, so can’t justify the upgrade.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Still trying to learn the gopro app editing stuff.  Is it worth paying for all the extras?

Edited by The Riddler

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Still trying to learn the gopro app editing stuff.  Is it worth paying for all the extras?

Most youtubers use Adobe Premiere, I hack my way through Sony Vegas Pro. Depends on your goals...for sharing clips with friends/family I see no reason to pay (and more importantly, to learn) the $$ software. What you got there is plenty - I see a huge striper and a happy Tuco. What more do you need? 

6 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Most youtubers use Adobe Premiere, I hack my way through Sony Vegas Pro. Depends on your goals...for sharing clips with friends/family I see no reason to pay (and more importantly, to learn) the $$ software. What you got there is plenty - I see a huge striper and a happy Tuco. What more do you need? 

No its just for goofy stuff here and facebook with family members, co-workers, and friends. The last go pro I had I used 6 times.  Bought like 6 seasons ago.  Decided to take it out this year and it wouldn't work. So we t to target on the sale. 

My deal is with the light. This one I am using is ok.  Its waterproof, charges with 45-60 minutes. Still would like to have a different light. 

9 mins ago, The Riddler said:

My deal is with the light. This one I am using is ok.  Its waterproof, charges with 45-60 minutes. Still would like to have a different light. 

Yeah low light/night time is tough going on any action cam. I can tell you the 7 seems much better at it than my old 5. 

Do they or are they ever going to make one with a laser pointer in line with the lens? I took out mine for the first extended trip, and came back with 40 minutes of loops of the sky with my rod tip sometimes at the bottom of the frame.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, ermghoti said:

Do they or are they ever going to make one with a laser pointer in line with the lens? I took out mine for the first extended trip, and came back with 40 minutes of loops of the sky with my rod tip sometimes at the bottom of the frame.

I usually use my phone to check where my camera pointing (life view let you adjust it the way you want it).

On 6/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, tj7501 said:

Let us know how you like it. I’m still waiting for my GoPro Session 4 to die. Damn thing is built like a tank and it works well, so can’t justify the upgrade.

I have the 4, 5 and 8 black.....garbage video quality, image stability and audio of the older versions is almost unwatchable in comparison.....

The 8 is the first action camera with that really looks good.

Does well with headlamp lighting too...something the others were miserable at.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:23 AM, The Riddler said:

Premiere pro can get as low as 7 bucks a month....I renewed at that price....might take a little nudge though..I bargained with them after they hit my card for 600$ for creative cloud complete all apps having never used anything but premiere pro(..

Premiere pro is fully capable and extraordinarily powerful.....with any video editor...you stay in your lane...and only use and learn what's relevant to you.   And if you have time..you learn something new to try....Because that's how it works...you don't try something new...you have to learn that there is a thing...then learn how to do that thing..then learn how to apply said thing......

When you're done with the edits....and click render......you can really push the quality envelope... a 4k 100mbps 2 pass max quality render looks beautiful...

Now if you're fishing at night...that's meaningless.

And screw vimeo....lol

Watch Justin Odisho on youtube for step by step how toos and popular premiere pro things.

He's walked me through a bunch of things in the past...I think he's blown up since then...not sure if he has the time to get to all the ?'s anymore.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, drmevo said:

I decided to take the plunge and order a GoPro Hero8 Black. I read through some older GoPro threads but I didn't see much about this model. Does anyone else have one? How do you like to mount it? Any accessories I should think about getting? It comes bundled with an extra battery, a head strap, and the tripod/hand grip thing, as well as 32GB micro SD but I also ordered a 256GB card. It seems like just using the head strap would be easiest for fishing footage but then you don't get a picture of yourself holding the fish. 

The 32gb is a throw away...Expect at 4k high bitrate to burn through just shy 4gb every 5 mins.

1080p high bitrate I think you can expect about 7 hours of filming.

battery life is a joke...40 mins is all I got....ONCE...

Since then I stuck a tab of electrical tape on the battery to keep it secure....left the door off....and used an external battery charger...10k mah and 20k mah...I get all day now on a charge...just gotta be careful....

I have it in an aluminum housing that accepts a polarizer filter...

It's glitchy at times...but when it works....and you're in good lighting...you can't tell that it's a go pro or a 2000$ + camera.