coastalfreak

Nasci vs BG (plus Bonus Epixor question)

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey all, 

Im looking for a 3000 or 4000 size spinning reel to fish the bottom for sheepshead, small black drum, reds, and maybe the potential flounder or Mangrove. I plan on just dropping down bottom sweeper jigs, knocker rigs, etc around pilings with a live shrimp or crab on them. The reels I have been looking at are the BG (size undetermined), the Nasci 3000/4000, the and the Shimano Baitunner OC 4000. I know there has been a ton of baitrunner threads so Ill leave the OC for those. 

When it comes down to the Nasci or the BG, I know the Nasci has an aluminum gear which from what I have heard is nicer than the cast zinc in the Bg. But then again, Scooby gave the BG a big thumbs up. What would you prefer? 

Additionally, do any of you guys have experience with an Epixor in saltwater? Seems solid, VERY nice on the wallet, and its freakin sexy. 

Thanks, 
Kevin

Edited by coastalfreak

I’ve owned both the nasci and bg. the nasci was in a 5000 size and the bg 4000. i have used both for striped bass, fluke, and bluefish. in my opinion, the bg is the superior reel. in fact i still use the bg and i returned the nasci after a week, it just felt kinda cheap. Plus for the size, the line capacity on the bg is far superior. both are smooth reels, but would definitely do my best to avoid getting them wet. 

Used 4000 BG from surf for 3 years and pulled in many bluefish 10+ to 16lbs while getting splashed.  Still running strong with minor maintenance, havent replaced any parts.  3000 BG would be ideal for fluking since its lighter.  My preference though.  

BG all day. Zinc gear yes but the sheer size of the gear/teeth makes it great. Drag between the two is comparable- not the best but better than many reels out there

as alternative to the nasci you could check out the daiwa exceler lt and the fuego lt, im fishing an exceler 4000 on the rocks for stripped bass, maquerel and cod when i dont want to deal with the weight of the bg4000 i got, and i love the little thing. its super light, i can cast all day and my poor back thanks me the day after. just make sure you disasemble the line roller and grease them good from time to time and they seem to old up great.
if you go BG, be advised that their 2500 size is almost like a 4000 daiwa lt or shimano and that the 3000 is akin of a 5000 in lt or shimano.

18 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Additionally, do any of you guys have experience with an Epixor in saltwater? Seems solid, VERY nice on the wallet, and its freakin sexy. 

If you are still considering Epixor, look at here in BST forum.

2 very nice reels, 40XT and 55XT

I've got a 4k nasci that's been on my go to light tackle setup for 3? Years

Used for everything from bonitos and Albies, stripers, tog, black sea bass, just about anything you'll catch up in the northeast 

And I couldn't be more happy with it 

It's a solid all around reel

Can't say too much about the bg other than the few times I've fished with a friend's  ( and my experience with the saltist for my larger rod) 

It's a solid reel but I perfer my nasci for the lighter tackle setup 

Both are good options though and you shouldn't be dissapointed with either 

Thanks all for the help. Im leaning towards BG at this point since Im a bait guy, and that extra power from the mammoth main gear is appealing.

I own the nasci 5000 and bg 3500 and used both extensively. i gotta say, the BG is gonna take the cake in that comparison. The nasci is gonna be the superior reel in terms of smoothness but over time the reel started to kind of grind and the spool started to loosen from the shaft. in a course of a year the reel caught fluke, blues, a cownose by accident and a dozen reds which basically put the nail in the coffin for the reel. The spool popped up from the shaft which cause me to break off the biggest red ive hooked ever. it just wasnt up to the task i was fishing. I took good care of it and made sure to wash and oil it consistently. The BG on the other hand is a tank. For the price you get a smooth reel thats tough, reliable, and sturdy. Ive fished it all last fall for bass and through this spring. ive dunked it a few times and its still pretty smooth. I kinda neglected cleaning it time to time as i would fish late and become lazy when i was at school but hell that thing is smooth as hell. In my opinion youre gonna get a better reel at the price getting a BG over the Nasci. the Nasci would prob be better for inshore fluking and schoolie bass or just freshwater in general. Plus the line capacity is not even a fair competition even if we are comparing the reels in similar sizes physically.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I haven't fished the Nasci but I have fished a BG 5000 and the description of it being like a tank is exactly how I would describe it.

I own other Shimanos and Okumas and I'm happy with them.

But I've never felt the solid "in command" feel with any of them as I have with the BG. Reeling in decent size stripers on my BG, it has not at any point felt like I was reaching its limit. Quite the opposite. The reel felt like it was in total command of the fight, something I never felt with the other reels I used. 

I caught a 42 inch striper with a 3000 size Shimano Symetre spooled with 40# for example. So I have total respect for Shimanos.

And I've caught similar size stripers and good size blues with 5000 size Okumas. 

And I know this is apples to oranges comparison, but with the BG, the reel has always responded to me like, "hold my beer, I got this..."

I'm thinking of getting a Nasci for jigs and spoons. Or maybe a smaller BG. 

But for bait fishing and tossing three or four ounce lures it's the BG for me at this moment. It gives me so much confidence when I'm fishing with it.

Edited by TroutGhost