cortolillo87

Overcrowding

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Now that Queen Anne's county shut down the piers and beaches from dusk to dawn, due to overcrowding and trash. Where is the next place you think will be effected?

On 6/26/2020 at 0:58 PM, cortolillo87 said:

Now that Queen Anne's county shut down the piers and beaches from dusk to dawn, due to overcrowding and trash. Where is the next place you think will be effected?

It’s still open

Capacity Restrictions on Queen Anne’s County Beaches

At their last meeting, the Commissioners voted to implement residency restrictions for access to Matapeake Beach and the beaches at Terrapin and Ferry Point Nature Preserves during periods of overcrowding that has occurred on summer weekends during COVID. As these facilitates were acquired with funds from Program Open Space, the narrowly tailored restriction was subject to approval from the Department of Natural Resources. Without approval from DNR, the County’s access to additional Program Open Space funding could be withheld from future projects. Pending that approval, the County began to enforce capacity-only restrictions at these locations. The capacity-only restrictions do not fully address the health issues that a residency-based restriction would afford. Nonetheless, deployment of the capacity restrictions has helped to mitigate the impact of mass gathering at these locations. The County is hopeful that given the public health concerns raised by COVID, DNR will release some reasonable guidelines to allow local jurisdictions to better control access to Program Open Space facilities that attract mass gatherings during COVID, including residency restrictions. We encourage citizens to reach out to the DNR to express your views on such guidelines.

This weekend, County Staff will be on site at all three locations: Ferry Point, Terrapin and Matapeake monitoring capacity. Once capacity is reached, additional visitors will not be permitted on the beach until capacity allows. With careful calculation to include social distancing measures the beaches have the following capacities:

Ferry Point – 200

Terrapin – 700

Matapeake – 250

If someone arrives to one of these locations and capacity has been reached they may wait in their vehicle for someone to leave or choose to try another location. To find out more about all the things you can do in Queen Anne’s County visit visitqueenannes.com

All parks, beaches, piers and landings are open from sunrise to sunset daily. For more information about the county beaches and Parks facilities, visit qac.org and type “Parks and Recreation” in the search bar.

I agree, AACO has been already affected. The parks are all swamped and most closed by 10am on nicer days. If you follow the Maryland State Parks statuses. Most, if not all of the parks that have beaches are closing due to full capacity, even weekdays. Much more common so far this summer. In the past this has been reserved for select weekends and holidays. Lots of the people seem to be from "out-of-town." MoCo, HoCo, NOVA etc. If you have been out fishing at from any public access spots, this is no surprise to you. The overcrowding has been present all spring and summer. Local tackle shops are crazy, all are running out of bloodworms and other popular things. One of the many signs of the increase of people fishing. I've abandoned all spots that have any public notoriety. They've been ruined by pressure and litter. Makes me a little sad to see. Finding tucked away and neglected spots has been the key. Going at off times helps too.

Another thing that is evident now is the lack of public spaces in the area. The DMV area has too high of a population for the public resources present at the time. I hope officials take notice and start planning for more opportunities, which I'm dubious of. 

1 hour ago, huntertom said:

I agree, AACO has been already affected. The parks are all swamped and most closed by 10am on nicer days. If you follow the Maryland State Parks statuses. Most, if not all of the parks that have beaches are closing due to full capacity, even weekdays. Much more common so far this summer. In the past this has been reserved for select weekends and holidays. Lots of the people seem to be from "out-of-town." MoCo, HoCo, NOVA etc. If you have been out fishing at from any public access spots, this is no surprise to you. The overcrowding has been present all spring and summer. Local tackle shops are crazy, all are running out of bloodworms and other popular things. One of the many signs of the increase of people fishing. I've abandoned all spots that have any public notoriety. They've been ruined by pressure and litter. Makes me a little sad to see. Finding tucked away and neglected spots has been the key. Going at off times helps too.

Another thing that is evident now is the lack of public spaces in the area. The DMV area has too high of a population for the public resources present at the time. I hope officials take notice and start planning for more opportunities, which I'm dubious of. 

They ain't just coming in angling numbers either.

It's whole families literally camped out at the beaches and piers. Till crazy hours, and throwing as many lines as possible.

The local residents have got to be fed up, and the cleanup efforts will need to be massive.

I do wonder, if club fishing piers/docks/jetties is an idea that's been explored.

Gotta be some way to weed out all the people buying cheapo gear and littering the waters with snags/snap-offs, and cut lines....

7 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

They ain't just coming in angling numbers either.

It's whole families literally camped out at the beaches and piers. Till crazy hours, and throwing as many lines as possible.

The local residents have got to be fed up, and the cleanup efforts will need to be massive.

I do wonder, if club fishing piers/docks/jetties is an idea that's been explored.

Gotta be some way to weed out all the people buying cheapo gear and littering the waters with snags/snap-offs, and cut lines....

How'd you read my mind? You hit the nail on the head. Which leads me to believe its a common sentiment around here. A club based location is interesting. A kayak is probably in the future. 

6 mins ago, huntertom said:

How'd you read my mind? You hit the nail on the head. Which leads me to believe its a common sentiment around here. A club based location is interesting. A kayak is probably in the future. 

Definitely common, I'm on the west bayside, and probably 98% of the shoreline is private and unaccessible.

A club-funded location would be more expensive but ideal.

But I feel that kayak idea every day. It's that or buy a different car and go oceanic every weekend.

3 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Definitely common, I'm on the west bayside, and probably 98% of the shoreline is private and unaccessible.

A club-funded location would be more expensive but ideal.

But I feel that kayak idea every day. It's that or buy a different car and go oceanic every weekend.

A kayak opens so much opportunity. And the Ocean can be good at certain times, have to pick the dates wisely. 

I've learned to be flexible and capitalize on the opportunities presented. Fishing hard when the best chance of catching good fish and pressure is low, basically the spring. In the summer and fall, it's trips up north. Around here, I switch to different targets other than stripers when it gets hot. As the quality of fishery for stripers in the Bay have declined, others have increased.

20 hours ago, huntertom said:

Yea after dealing with all those crowds at matapeake, romancoke and OC past 2 weeks, I started to consider kayaks lol

On 7/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, huntertom said:

A kayak opens so much opportunity. And the Ocean can be good at certain times, have to pick the dates wisely. 

I've learned to be flexible and capitalize on the opportunities presented. Fishing hard when the best chance of catching good fish and pressure is low, basically the spring. In the summer and fall, it's trips up north. Around here, I switch to different targets other than stripers when it gets hot. As the quality of fishery for stripers in the Bay have declined, others have increased.

Indeed it does.

Just being out alone makes it attractive - fishing expansion aside.

I've been trying to get into speck fishing recently, seems the best path to success is kayaking.

15 hours ago, Rangler said:

Yea after dealing with all those crowds at matapeake, romancoke and OC past 2 weeks, I started to consider kayaks lol

Oh NO.

I've given up on them entirely.

They were great when I was a kid, now it's a bloodbath.

I've learned to accept the driving hours traded for less crowded trips.

I’m looking forward to crappy Fall weather to make Matapeake, Terrapin and beaches at Assateague available again. Come on cold and rain!

On 6/26/2020 at 0:58 PM, cortolillo87 said:

Blackwater. The snakehead fishing has been attracting outsiders from all over the region and the trash is getting bad. They have already posted some of the parking areas with no parking signs. I expect it to get worse.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:50 AM, Saltfruit said:

Oh NO.

I've given up on them entirely.

They were great when I was a kid, now it's a bloodbath.

I've learned to accept the driving hours traded for less crowded trips.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, huntertom said:

If you have one...most places who sell them are out of stock with a 10 to 14 week lead time on new orders. It will be too late by the time those yaks come available. I ordered a new one and my order was cancelled. I guess I will continue to use my 10 ear old ocean kayak for the remainder of this year.