LockedDrag

GSB old school blanks vs new “OS” blanks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I’m about to pull the trigger on a new “OS” model GSB. Can anyone with experience with both give me the run down on if they both handle and throw their range or does the old school blank throw it’s range better and is more sturdy?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dont care for the new o.s..... get a regular new run m....if you need a heavier blank get the 132mh, just my .2

Edited by DeepBlue85

7 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Dont care for the new o.s..... get a regular new run m....if you need a heavier blank get the 132mh, just my .2

Thanks. My buddy said the same lol flimsier, less powerful rod. Thank god I didn’t get it lol 

I have a gsb1321mOS and a 12101m regular rod.  I like them both.  The os definitely punches into the wind better and feels a little bit more dense/ heavy of a rod.  Love both of them tho.   

Don’t own a new OS but have many old ones in the rack. Lami over rates what they will throw. In either case I love all of them. Especially like my newer 1201L less than 3 years old (only the M are available OS). Have 2 other L’s the same that go back over 20 years and they rock!

Your other thread you questioned the warranty. Neither is more sturdy.
Never broke any Lami 10’+.

Only broke 2 GSB 108L’s one was my fault for lifting a double header. Other was replaced.

The other was a Green SSU 1081L that snapped on a cast and was replaced under warranty. Still have this one and is my favorite 9 footer to this day.

No regrets, just get one.

17 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Thanks. My buddy said the same lol flimsier, less powerful rod. Thank god I didn’t get it lol 

I totally disagree. I fish with the new 1321-1M OS factory rod and I am very impressed by it. It's a powerful stick that works well casting rigged eels and a full range of artificial lures including rigged Slug-gos. It is no way a "flimsy" rod. I also have fished with a new run 1321 Lami and the new OS rod is beefier in my opinion. I would highly recommend it to anyone fishing the surf.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

9 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I totally disagree. I fish with the new 1321-1M OS factory rod and I am very impressed by it. It's a powerful stick that works well casting rigged eels and a full range of artificial lures including rigged Slug-gos. It is no way a "flimsy" rod. I also have fished with a new run 1321 Lami and the new OS rod is beefier in my opinion. I would highly recommend it to anyone fishing the surf.

I second this. Iv fished the new 1321M and it didn’t seem very powerful compared to the the OS. Neither rod really seemed “flimsy” but the new OS definitely has more power. 

I will say my favorite combo I own for fishing everything except punching into the wind is my new style gsb 1201m with about 3” cut from the butt with a van staal 200.  It cast absolutely everything and is light enough to fish all night but I also feel confident that I could whip a 80 pound Stripers ass with it!  

I loved my new run old school M so much (not), that I cut 2' off the back..... turned out to be one hell of a back bay rod that'll handle better fish around structure and will punch a cast into wind when needed.  Iv always been a fan of a stouter rod so the action might not feel right for everyone but functionally, it's the most capable 9' iv ever fished.  Not to be mistaken with the 1081m, a great blank in it's own right but with a faster action and lighter tip, it is more tailored to throwing lighter weights.  I find the cut down, thicker walled old school M's fish everything from a half oz up to 3 comfortably and at that length are quite stout and beautifully parabolic and a better choice than anything else out there. The stock 11 is good too when it comes to power, I'm just not a fan of the action vs the original old run blanks which is why I stick with the new run 11's.....just my preference though. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

57 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I haven’t thrown it so I can’t say. I’ve only ever thrown the old 1201m and it’s a powerhouse for sure. I handled a 101OS at the shop and it’s definitely lighter and thinner. Feels just as durable but figure I ask on here to see if it handles its rating of 3-7 the way the 1201M handles 3-6 because the 1201m definitely handles a 4oz gag head and 1oz body like a champ. Feels like a 3oz on it. I can put my back into a cast and whip it hard and the rod doesn’t even feel it. Just wondering if the new OS can handle that without it feeling soft like most rods do when you go that heavy on a plug/jig

Edited by LockedDrag

26 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

I loved my new run old school M so much (not), that I cut 2' off the back..... turned out to be one hell of a back bay rod that'll handle better fish around structure and will punch a cast into wind when needed.  Iv always been a fan of a stouter rod so the action might not feel right for everyone but functionally, it's the most capable 9' iv ever fished.  Not to be mistaken with the 1081m, a great blank in it's own right but with a faster action and lighter tip, it is more tailored to throwing lighter weights.  I find the cut down, thicker walled old school M's fish everything from a half oz up to 3 comfortably and at that length are quite stout and beautifully parabolic and a better choice than anything else out there. The stock 11 is good too when it comes to power, I'm just not a fan of the action vs the original old run blanks which is why I stick with the new run 11's.....just my preference though. 

Care to explain the difference in action?

Their wonky an sloppy with less power than the original old stock m's.  I just dont like the feel or think it's worth it.  The older runs had a different lay up on their graphite and felt different though modern guides are also a factor.   I obsess over minor details though so really all of this is likely splitting hairs.  If you want a more powerful 11' but dont want to graduate to the 132mh ( same tip as 11m) then go for the o.s.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Their wonky an sloppy with less power than the original old stock m's.  I just dont like the feel or think it's worth it.  The older runs had a different lay up on their graphite and felt different though modern guides are also a factor.   I obsess over minor details though so really all of this is likely splitting hairs.  If you want a more powerful 11' but dont want to graduate to the 132mh ( same tip as 11m) then go for the o.s.  

Care to explain that last part?

I have both versions , the  old and the newest , I’m sticking with  calling them moderate with more power then the “ regular “ 1321M and 1201M.  The older Model unless I’m nuts, locks up a little higher then the newer versions.  I like my new OS a lot, casts the lighter stuff better such as a SS darter for example , when I take the GSB out I’m not looking to throw 1oz but can if I need to. 

the New 1321m is a lot softer then either OS,  I’ve used 5-6 oz with it but I don’t like that kind of weight on that one. It’s not my first choice to grab the OS model to fish open beaches. But As of lately I’ve gone over to ODM. And  For the shelf price on a GSB OS I’d go custom all the way that’s also my opinion.