sams

Hobie Murage Passport 12.0

7 posts in this topic

My wife has decided to buy me a pedal kayak for my birthday (probably because I always mentions I would like one) and I am looking at the Mirage Passport 12.0.  I have a skiff and center console so this is not going to be my only boat and the yak will probably get used less than the other 2 so I don't want to go crazy and have a $3,500 yak that only get used some of the time.  At the same time I want something decent that will be comfortable in the ocean when its other than flat calm.

Has anyone tried a Mirage Passport 12.0 (or 10.0)?  I know this boat is a relatively new release and there does not appear to be much written on it yet.  Everything I have found on line appears to be the basic Hobie marketing copy, or something very close to it.

TIA

sam

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not a Hobie owner but for the ocean I would stay with the 12’ version not the 10’....Jack

Edited by Bulldog
Spelling

I haven’t tried it but I’ve seen it in person. Seems like the 12.0 would be perfect for the occasional saltwater pedal kayaker but probably not the best for the hardcore guys. Unless

weight or size are factors, the 12.0 has a few extra features over the 10.5 that seem to make the higher price worth it, like a transducer scupper, tackle storage/bungies and deck pads.

I just bought a Mirage Passport. I will be taking it out on its maiden voyage saturday. This is my first kayak and my first time on one. I did a lot of studying on kayaking. And I'm very excited about my ability to catch fish where they are. Been surf fishing for years, now i can go beyond my casting. Hobies are expensive but the passport seem the most affordable. I want it to do well in the bay and beyond. thanks for letting me share. 

I own a Passport 12 and really like it. I fish mostly out of a boat so the Passport is for occasion use primarily on a flat. I have also owned a 13' Revo and 12' PA. I like the Passport because:

1. It was cheap.

2. Easy to handle (lighter weight).

3. Stable enough to stand ( get an H-Bar if you do a lot of standing).

4. Very comfortable and dry seat.

5. Basic features, easy maintenance.

I would not get the 10' for salt water use.

I helped my friend buy and transport and 10.5 and got to test ride it yesterday.  My thoughts compared to Revo 11, 13, Oasis, and Sport roto-molds:

Passport hull is light, and FEELs light on the water.  Feels most like a Sport.  I think this can be pushed around too easily for my liking in windy conditions or big swells.  

I think the rudder is too short and narrow- Hobie or someone else needs make an alternate larger sailing rudder imo, as the delay in steering is noticeable.  Maybe if the rear tankwell was loaded up with more weight it could bit into the water column better.  The rudder has to be manually deployed so if you strike something and it kicks up, you may have to give her an ol' reach around.  

The ST fins on the reliable V2 drive feels super smooth.  The  drivewell and locking mechanism comes from their inflatable series so I m not used to it.  It doesn't seem as robust as the Click and Go but worked fine.

The open deck is nice for a change, but the seat doesn't appear to be adjustable in height, so I definitely felt on top of the hull vs. inside it compared to my Revos with the old style seats.

The 12 allows you to buy a rectangular hatch and self-install (or via dealer), and you can move the existing 8" round midship hatch to the bow or stern, and buy a second 8" round so you can have 3 storage compartments.  The 10.5 midship hatch cannot be upgraded to the rectangular hatch.

My opinion: I would not buy this model, even the 12 for ocean use.  My friend bought it for lake use, so it's perfect.  Protected SW bays and harbors yes, but I'd rather buy a well-cared for used roto-molded Hobie for the same price.  Good luck and be safe!