Fly Fishing Buddy on Brewster Flats this Sunday

Rate this topic

MassHolesandPools

also, though some folk don't seem to be concerned, not sure how much depth of water Whitey needs to feel comfortable swimming in but I for one won't head out on the flats wading up to my armpits on an outgoing just in case.  I'd start out when knee deep :)   Might want to get the Sharkivity App for your phone.    Whitey seen in the flats area just two days ago !

HT

whitey.png.a8556d3ea29adb4a8753f3e05a79a480.png

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

9 hours ago, HillTop said:

also, though some folk don't seem to be concerned, not sure how much depth of water Whitey needs to feel comfortable swimming in but I for one won't head out on the flats wading up to my armpits on an outgoing just in case.  I'd start out when knee deep :)   Might want to get the Sharkivity App for your phone.    Whitey seen in the flats area just two days ago !

HT

In past years I've spent many a happy hour drifting in and out of the Barnstable channel flyfishing my legs dangling over the side. That was until I saw the youtube video of that huge whitey coming up to the boat anchored by the buoy right at the entrance. A cold shiver ran down my spine when I saw that!

13 hours ago, HillTop said:

HT

Yes, and up in that area the white sharks are notorious for grabbing hooked stripers on a very regular basis. Just a word to the wise......

profile pic Penn Squidder, Lami 01166, Atom 40. 1975 or so. My go to for a couple of years when I was a kid.....

Me and my family would always spend 2 weeks every summer from the 90's and 2000's in Brewster. My dad and I would always go fishing on the flats dragging a two person kayak with us so we had as much fishing time as possible. Him with his fly rod and me with my fly rod (until i got frustrated haha with the wind/my cast) and would switch over to spin rod and toss the good ole purple sluggo. Amazing fishery back then and as Mike O pointed out, nothing more exciting than seeing a big school of bass swim by your ankles. We stopped going up regularly at around 2010. (everyone working full time, conflicting schedules, etc)  but we started going up with the fam and significant others a couple of years ago (spin rods long forgotten). Still amazing going out to the flats but was very shocked at the amount of Stripers and size.

Two years ago my dad and I were working our way back in with the tide after being out all morning. We were up to mid chest water casting to schoolies about maybe 75 yard off the beach. All of a sudden a helicopter came along the beach line low and slow. We both looked up and kind of shrugged it off for a moment until all of a sudden my dad just goes "Shark copter?". We sure covered that 75 yards pretty quick. We now fish the outgoing tide up there...

15 hours ago, HillTop said:

HT

Couple years ago I was driving at Sandy Neck at a pretty good clip (nobody was on the beach it was a rainy day) and saw a shark swimming at the same speed as my jeep. I went to grab my phone to take a pic and it was gone.