MassHolesandPools

Fly Fishing Buddy on Brewster Flats this Sunday

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, Fredrick said:

Any luck ?

A couple schoolies and alot of follows, there were lots of fish out there but I kept spooking them or flat out missed when trying to guess where they were heading & lead them with my cast. I did see some larger fish (20"+, maybe some in the 30"s?) but they weren't interested in what I had to offer. All in all I got some bend in the rod and I got to cast at fish I could see so that's a great day in my book. 

But boy was @theshadow right, that sand bar was getting PACKED by the time low tide set in, I ended up leaving my spot and moving Eastward a bit. I picked a weekend trip this time of year with great weather, so I only have myself to blame. In the future though, I'm going to try and find a spot that's less appealing to boat folks. Nothing against them, I just like more seclusion when I'm making a fishing trip. 

13 mins ago, MassHolesandPools said:

A couple schoolies and alot of follows, there were lots of fish out there but I kept spooking them or flat out missed when trying to guess where they were heading & lead them with my cast. I did see some larger fish (20"+, maybe some in the 30"s?) but they weren't interested in what I had to offer. All in all I got some bend in the rod and I got to cast at fish I could see so that's a great day in my book. 

But boy was @theshadow right, that sand bar was getting PACKED by the time low tide set in, I ended up leaving my spot and moving Eastward a bit. I picked a weekend trip this time of year with great weather, so I only have myself to blame. In the future though, I'm going to try and find a spot that's less appealing to boat folks. Nothing against them, I just like more seclusion when I'm making a fishing trip. 

not sure if it's even open or there anymore, but a bowl of Lobster Bisque at the Brewster Fish House was always a nice way to end a successful day :)

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

not sure if it's even open or there anymore, but a bowl of Lobster Bisque at the Brewster Fish House was always a nice way to end a successful day :)

It’s still there and still good. 

2 hours ago, MassHolesandPools said:

Now google a shot of the Cape.Water 360 degrees.

I saw this post late - Fished from Saints Landing both Saturday and Sunday - Saturday was epic - 22"-26" fish tailing in 8-10" of water - managed to pull out 6 before two kayakers decided to put in right in the middle of the fish with me standing 50 feet away, I probably should have asked them to put in 10 yards in either direction, but I wrongly assumed they had watched me cast and land fish.... managed about 20 fish all day - smallest being 20".  Went back sunday very skittish fish - managed two while sight casting and spooked hundreds of them.  Got my first 28" fish (barely, might have stretched the tail a little) fishing the river out towards the edge of the flat at the turn of the tide - post again if you are headed back down - would be happy to join you.  

IMG_7802 (3).MOV

10 hours ago, Riley1964 said:

Went back sunday very skittish fish

Well I found my fisherman's excuse for Sunday! This is undeniable proof.  

Seriously though I'll definitely let you know, this weekend might be mayhem capeside but I'll be back on the flats through July for sure. 

Haven’t fished that or Chatham area for many years, back when rip Ryder brought you to the islands, so 3 part question was thinking of maybe heading up in August as a mini vacation for me my wife (who’s never been) and the dogs (2) 

anyone know of a good place thats dog friendly (besides camping) are there fish on the flats in mid August? We Always fished last week of June and what else around the area would the wife enjoy, me and my buddy never did much other than fish all day, get back to shady knoll campground eat, pass out and repeat for a week lol