MassHolesandPools

Fly Fishing Buddy on Brewster Flats this Sunday

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If anybody is looking to wet a line this Sunday, I'm planning on heading to CCB in Brewster or Dennis to wet wade the flats for the Sesuit low tide around 11:45am. Mid day fishing so not ideal but I'm a weekend warrior so I'll take what I can get. Planning on walking out from Crows Pasture, but open to anything in the area - Paines, Saints. 

Edited by MassHolesandPools

6 hours ago, MassHolesandPools said:

low tide around 11:45am. Mid day fishing so not ideal but ..

If you are sight fishing then thats a perfect tide - you get to fish the drop and the flood with the sun right over your head.

4 hours ago, JRT said:

If you are sight fishing then thats a perfect tide - you get to fish the drop and the flood with the sun right over your head.

That's great to hear JRT, thanks for the heads up. I'm used to going at dawn for striper so I get stuck in thinking the fish won't be around. 

Quick and sneaky Sandflee, I make sure to head back to a comfortable distance from shore before the water comes up behind me. I also wear some PFD when wet wading, but I'd like to transition to a kayak at some point.

14 hours ago, MassHolesandPools said:

If anybody is looking to wet a line this Sunday, I'm planning on heading to CCB in Brewster or Dennis to wet wade the flats for the Sesuit low tide around 11:45am. Mid day fishing so not ideal but I'm a weekend warrior so I'll take what I can get. Planning on walking out from Crows Pasture, but open to anything in the area - Paines, Saints. 

Be aware that we are very close to all the towns asking for a "kiss" in all the parking lots in all of the towns.It's summer...…………...Ka Ching! Google the town site you are going to and you'll get the latest rules and regulations.The covid issue is resurfacing  again due to the influx of people and each town may have different rules as to parking and everything else with the beach.Don't forget the birds shutting down areas too.Stay informed before you travel.It will reduce the "GRRRRR" factor.

Good call. I just checked and it looks like Dennis changed the parking rules as of June 13th. Brewster offers day parking passes where I don't see that option for Dennis. May have saved me some serious headaches Shadow, thanks man.

I also wear some PFD when wet wading, but I'd like to transition to a kayak at some point....  Food for thought. I have a kayak and also sight fish in skinny waters but am trying to make the switch to a SUP. I find myself jumping off the yak and casting, usually to  stop the yak from drifting  You have a better angle to see  and casting is more convenient from stand-up position. When kayaking I usually get up on my knees to cast but worry about balance and how to land a fish.  When I do use a (borrowed) SUP, you can do anything you want on it, sit, kneel, or stand up. Casting will be like from the surf.  It's more comfortable. I did 4 hours stints on the yak and it wears on you. The SUP is roomier.  Just my opinion. It's a lot of fun. Good luck.

I've fly fished from a SUP west of Sesuit the last couple years. well not last year as the people we stay with  made it off limits due to whitey.

The only thing I've found tough is setting the hook. my hook up to landing ratio is way off.

I do agree much easier on the body then a kayak.

When I'm on yak, I've tried the fresh water method of landing a fish with a net but usually I end up putting my reel towards the front of yak, holding the tip with my right  hand and grab the leader or line w/my left hand  so as not to break the tip.  I like my sit on top ocean kayak but I realized the SUP is a better option for what I'm doing, which fishing in not over 3 feet of water. When I SUP, if it's along ride out, I could paddle from my knees or stand up. I actually bring 2 sets of paddles.  I'm just thinking the SUP should be a consideration.  If you get a kayak, consider the ocean sit on top.  You can jump off, attach a rope to you waste and wade fish your skinny water. You get to cool down in water also.    Both are great, though, Good luck.

Silly question, are you guys sight fishing from the SUP (it would seem hard to juggle both paddle and rod) or are you using it for transportation? thx and enjoy the tide on Sunday

21 hours ago, MassHolesandPools said:

Good call. I just checked and it looks like Dennis changed the parking rules as of June 13th. Brewster offers day parking passes where I don't see that option for Dennis. May have saved me some serious headaches Shadow, thanks man.

Stay very current too. Because a day could make a big difference.The crowds are coming be smart.A family member owns a realty co. in Orleans and the bookings are "madhouse".Keep in mind how you dealt with this pandemic in April and May.Go back to that.Especially young folks become carriers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hear you, I'm not a big crowds guy even before all this. I'm honestly more worried about the gas station, grocery store, delivery guy, than I am about fishing. This is one activity I consider pretty safe, especially because I like to give other anglers a wide, wide berth.

But I do appreciate the heads up, especially as it effects access and new rules, etc. I hope everyone is staying safe out there. 

Edited by MassHolesandPools