ksong

I got striper in the Cape Cod Canal on 7th tries

Rate this topic

232 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, ksong said:

No. I don't complain. I am happy to walk down to the rock to release fish though I had hard time with normal shoes. :) It is my fault. 

Canal fishermen are more intense than Texas jetty fishermen.  Canal fishermen treat members within their group very nicely, but the attitude change to outsiders. :) Texas jetty fishermen treat everyone very nicely whether they are within their group or not. 

The Canal has gone to hell. It’s a prime example of everything wrong in this world. I helped a father catch his first Scup this weekend after helping his two daughters catch crabs with my daughter on some squid. Brought me more joy than landing any 40 pound Striper. People have forgotten the joy of helping others. 

53 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

The Canal has gone to hell. It’s a prime example of everything wrong in this world. I helped a father catch his first Scup this weekend after helping his two daughters catch crabs with my daughter on some squid. Brought me more joy than landing any 40 pound Striper. People have forgotten the joy of helping others. 

A grown man and experienced fisherman should not expect a stranger to climb on “slippery rocks” to land his fish - canal, jetty, beach, etc. 

52 mins ago, ged said:

A grown man and experienced fisherman should not expect a stranger to climb on “slippery rocks” to land his fish - canal, jetty, beach, etc. 

Have to agree.

1 hour ago, ged said:

Especially with a pandemic going on. 

2 hours ago, ksong said:

Canal fishermen are more intense than Texas jetty fishermen.  Canal fishermen treat members within their group very nicely, but the attitude change to outsiders. :) Texas jetty fishermen treat everyone very nicely whether they are within their group or not. 

Texas jetty fisherman also don't have thousands of guys up and down the coast traveling to fish a single shoreline and their spots and bites haven't been burned over and over again.

5 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Texas jetty fisherman also don't have thousands of guys up and down the coast traveling to fish a single shoreline and their spots and bites haven't been burned over and over again.

Yes. Competition makes them tougher.  

1 min ago, ksong said:

Yes. Competition makes them tougher.  

I would tend to agree. It absolutely impacts the locals opinions and attitudes.

27 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

27 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Absolutely.  You have two choices to fish the Canal. To get tougher or to find your own spot even you have less chance to hook up fish.  Luckily I have many sources to know when and where bites are going on. But I avoid crowded spot as possible. 

Here is a nice striper using 9'6" Black Hole Striper rod. Can you identify the rocks ? :)

And this spot where my friend got 52" striper using his custom Lamiglass Crazy Alberto rod. He fished alone on his own spot.

striper965.jpg

614685524(1).jpg

Edited by ksong

5 mins ago, ksong said:

Absolutely.  You have two choices to fish the Canal. To get tougher or to find your own spot even you have less chance to hook up fish.  Luckily I have many sources to know when and where bites are going on. But I avoid crowded spot as possible. 

Here is a nice striper using 9'6" Black Hole Striper rod. Can you identify the rocks ? :)

striper965.jpg

I think I saw her mainland side, mid canal ******** afternoon. Not too far from your other picture, but West of there. 

*** No fish was present when I saw her. 

Edited by ged

Are those water shoes, slippers?

Spikes, wear sone spikes, or at the very least a pair of good hiking shoes with an agressive tread and positive ankle support.

7 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Are those water shoes, slippers?

Spikes, wear sone spikes, or at the very least a pair of good hiking shoes with an agressive tread and positive ankle support.

I am looking for light shoes with spikes to fish rocks.

11 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

…….identify the place you plan to pull a fish of size into a locations so that you may be able to get down from the road to release any fish...... 

7 hours ago, ged said:

7 hours ago, Eric_H said:

Have to agree.

6 hours ago, z-man said:

Especially with a pandemic going on. 

^^^^^^^^^^^      :agree:     100%

1 hour ago, ksong said:

Modern days human fish finders?

Lots of people (including me) will get pretty bitched up if someone jumps in uninvited to "help" land their fish.

I find that having someone slap at my line usually ends badly.  I will help if asked but unless you know what you are dealing with (line, leader and rig) it is risky.  Trying to leader a 40lb bass if the angler is using 20lb leader will end poorly 

I do not ask any help while fishing. 

I will stop fishing when I realize I can not fish anymore.

As long as I can fish, I will continue what I have been doing. 

I will post reports as usual for silent supporters. 

If you don't like my reports, don't participate in my post. 

As all overseas trips were cancelled, I will concentrate in fishing locally.

As I said, Cape Canal fishing is magical and I will continue to fish there.