ksong

I got striper in the Cape Cod Canal on 7th tries

Rate this topic

232 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, z-man said:

I guess it’s not a spot burn as long as an advertisement for Black Hole is thrown in?
There’s a pretty obvious set of power lines in that photo. Not too hard to figure out that spot. 

I got skunked on that spot. :)

2 hours ago, ksong said:

I had korkers in my car. Frankly I did not expect to catch striper. :)  

When I fished jetties in Texas, they always were willing to help me by getting down to the slippery rocks to land fish.  I realize you can not expect in the Canal. 

One guy even shouted not to kill the striper by taking pictures long  as soon as I started to take pictures. :)  Different folk in different areas. 

A stranger isn’t going to climb down and get your fish at the canal. You should have that thought out before you cast. 

You should think about waiting a week before posting any reports at the canal. It is out of respect of the people that fish there when there isn’t a blitz. For example, if you were there on a Tuesday when the fish came in on mackerel, wait a week to report your experience, and mention that it in your report. 

I have seen a lot of people lose 40lb bass that were not weighed. 

26 mins ago, ged said:

A stranger isn’t going to climb down and get your fish at the canal. You should have that thought out before you cast. 

You should think about waiting a week before posting any reports at the canal. It is out of respect of the people that fish there when there isn’t a blitz. For example, if you were there on a Tuesday when the fish came in on mackerel, wait a week to report your experience, and mention that it in your report. 

I have seen a lot of people lose 40lb bass that were not weighed. 

Did I post dates ? You just assumed.

The whole idea of posting this is you got to be patient when you fish the Canal. 

I don"t care it was 30 lb or 40 lb. But my eyes are pretty accurate. :)

Your post it reads like present  tense, and the picture shows an easily identifiable area.

When writing in past tense you can say things like “Last week I was fishing...”

Edited by ged

15 mins ago, ged said:

Your post it reads like present  tense, and the picture shows an easily identifiable area.

When writing in past tense you can say things like “Last week I was fishing...”

One week is good enough?  Definitely some wwill complain it is too short. The best way is to post without dates.

Do you think I am dumb enough to post spot picture where I got the fish? You never see me identifiable back ground picture where I get fish. :)

Kil,

They just miss you after being away and not posting for a while.  It's funny that up to now you still haven't gotten used to comments like these still reply. If we can ignore them - so can you. Keep doing what you're doing . . . there are more people looking forward to your reports than there are detractors.

8 hours ago, ksong said:

I had korkers in my car. Frankly I did not expect to catch striper. :)  

When I fished jetties in Texas, they always were willing to help me by getting down to the slippery rocks to land fish.  I realize you can not expect in the Canal. 

One guy even shouted not to kill the striper by taking pictures long  as soon as I started to take pictures. :)  Different folk in different areas. 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I learned a long time ago to expect nothing. It's unfortunate that it happens that way. But many are just self centered and don't want to help the outsider:howdy:

One thing for sure for those who have fished the canal over many years and that is one needs to identify the place you plan to pull a fish of size into a locations so that you may be able to get down from the road to release any fish less the 35inch mark .    Another comment when it comes to pulling a large from the bottom on jigs it can and will take more than the 10 minutes some here seem to feel is sufficient time to retrieve and now release.   The variables include what type of rod and reel you are using, how fast the current is moving how far away from you have you allowed your line to drift in the current before you hang a fish. Is it day or night . How many are fishing around you and do you have to go walking or not to retrieve the fish . I have seen times from my past letting the jig slide more than 4 poles away from me hooking a fish and than having to work it back against a fast current . I have seen times after hooking a nice large fish and for references any fish 30 pounds for me or over is a large fish and having the fish swim back against the current faster then I could put the line on the reel. Not all fish die in a few minutes of the fight and further the likely hood if you attempt to simply bull dog the fish in , will without question find a way to open the gap in the place where it was hooked and you will be simply telling a story of the one that got away, because you lacked the discipline to be patient and use your skills to get it to the place you picked out along the shore line to land it. 

Dude if you use street shoes to surf fish, you're not a surf caster.

If you go fishing expecting others to help you out, you're not a surf caster.

If you break "BIG" fish off at your feet with high pound test line, you're not a surf caster

There are no show up awards for surf casting YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK.

As you learn, there will come a time when you will chase people, who are in your current stage of surf fishing, away and handle your fish by your self, just to avoid the problems you have experienced.

Surf Casting is a journey, not a destination, I wish you well. As we say "keep plugging"

Peace

9 hours ago, ksong said:

One guy even shouted not to kill the striper by taking pictures long  as soon as I started to take pictures.

Welcome to Massachusetts.

1 hour ago, RedJeep said:

Dude if you use street shoes to surf fish, you're not a surf caster.

If you go fishing expecting others to help you out, you're not a surf caster.

If you break "BIG" fish off at your feet with high pound test line, you're not a surf caster

There are no show up awards for surf casting YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK.

As you learn, there will come a time when you will chase people, who are in your current stage of surf fishing, away and handle your fish by your self, just to avoid the problems you have experienced.

Peace

I am not a surf caster by your definition. I can say I love surf fishing and enjoy it at the age of 72. :)  Where ever you fish, you got to respect others with courtesy. 

3 hours ago, JoelJ said:

Kil,

They just miss you after being away and not posting for a while.  It's funny that up to now you still haven't gotten used to comments like these still reply. If we can ignore them - so can you. Keep doing what you're doing . . . there are more people looking forward to your reports than there are detractors.

Thanks.  There are always tough customers. :) I am afraid many anglers don't post to get the Canal info.  We are here to share info with other members. 

Kil,

Ive always enjoyed reading your reports on several forums. 

Shame  on the world when someone wouldn’t help a 72 year old man land/release a fish from the treacherous canal rocks. I certainly have over the years. And when I am too old to walk them safely, I hope someone would help me as well. 

1 min ago, Maine Guide said:

Kil,

Shame  on the world when someone wouldn’t help a 72 year old man land/release a fish from the treacherous canal rocks. I certainly have over the years. And when I am too old to walk them safely, I hope someone would help me as well. 

No. I don't complain. I am happy to walk down to the rock to release fish though I had hard time with normal shoes. :) It is my fault. 

Canal fishermen are more intense than Texas jetty fishermen.  Canal fishermen treat members within their group very nicely, but the attitude change to outsiders. :) Texas jetty fishermen treat everyone very nicely whether they are within their group or not. 

9 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Kil,

I'm with you . . . problem is no one will think Kil is 72 with how he looks and the way he fishes . . .