I got striper in the Cape Cod Canal on 7th tries

Rate this topic

ksong

27 mins ago, ged said:

Pretty sure that last few years only one company has had threads on SOL about the canal promoting their product. They are a sponsor there so perhaps it’s fine with Tim, but that doesn’t mean the locals need to like it or support that company. 

I can tell you if I came here and wrote about the places I fish in RI, the people I fish with and respect would not respect me. 

The difference between you and him that he is a business promoting his products just like Red Top and Canal Bait and Tackle. The Canal is 7 miles long and he was not specific on the exact location. What are you pissed off? The timing of his post or the mentioning of the Canal where the fish was caught? 
it’s ridiculous all these attacks on a fish caught in a 7 miles stretch during new moon tides..  

9 hours ago, ged said:

Sorry I forgot about terminal gear:

Tactical Angler 125# clips are preferred. Although overkill, they allow quick changes of the Joe Baggs jig heads as the current changes. 

For line I prefer original fused fireline for jigging in 30lb. My 80# seagar leader will break before this line. Amazingly strong and abrasion resistant.

For plugging I like Suffix 832 in 50# or 40#. I do go down one size in tactical anglers clips for stick shadds and pencils. 

I jig with 50 and plug with 30.

I must be backwards 

4 hours ago, z-man said:

Most of the bait shop reports are BS and second hand info from customers. They always say the fishing is good and lust a few go to baits. The guy that answered the phone at the shop may not have even been fishing that week.  
This website SOL is supposed to have rules against spot burning and you would think that it would be frowned upon to do while also making a profit off of them. 

If a new young fisherman posted a pic and report here it would have gotten locked/removed.

I recall this happening before.

troll #122  <*)))<

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I jig with 50 and plug with 30.

I must be backwards 

If a new young fisherman posted a pic and report here it would have gotten locked/removed.

I recall this happening before.

I believe the 30# fireline is stronger ABS that 832 50#. It is certainly thicker and protects my finger from cuts with heavy jigs and no finger tape. 

On 6/29/2020 at 10:07 AM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

True, if Kil had blond hair, double D's, and a thong, we would all be lining up to help! :naughty: Crusty old fisherman in waders, mmmm, I'll pass. :(

I would just stay 6 feet away and watch you helping the DD blond just to show my support. 

3 hours ago, LB said:

Had to laugh at what you wrote at the end of your post almost 6000 views, not make fun it hit me that. l can see where you're coming from but l did think that there is not a fisherman in the US that doesn't know about the canal and well before Ksong made his post so why dump this sh-t on him.

The response to this isn't surprising. Regardless of the SOL rules a thread like this is going to result in some level of negativity, especially from the local guys. I would expect the same if someone posted a Montauk or Jersey report.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, levari said:

If you never fish the canal how do you know it is such a beautiful place? 
it’s an ugly crowded place . 

That’s what you got out what I wrote? Sorry this guy is your friend I feel as others about burning spots any spot. Sorry the guys I grew up fishing with would not respect you if you had loose lips. Or promoted yourself as a fisherman when your really a salesman. People are too sensitive these days. The thing is his self promotion only serves him no one else.  Other similar posts would be gone by now. Some of you guys the same guys that are his friend are sticking up for him fine I’m sure he’s a nice guy. But others are bothered by nonsense. That’s my take on it. Like it or not. It’s a game of numbers in the end more people that see this post better for his business.

2 hours ago, ged said:

Anything over 30lbs you need to strap into your crocs. If you remember, the guy that caught a sailfish years ago at the east end had sandals and socks, so I may try that late August for sailfish :)

I was only expecting 25lbers, if fish makes unexpected strong run can always flip down second strap!

2AC9D191-5381-4CE3-A156-B3A0BB7EF347.jpeg

24 mins ago, hydraman said:

That’s what you got out what I wrote? Sorry this guy is your friend I feel as others about burning spots any spot. Sorry the guys I grew up fishing with would not respect you if you had loose lips. Or promoted yourself as a fisherman when your really a salesman. People are too sensitive these days. The thing is his self promotion only serves him no one else.  Other similar posts would be gone by now. Some of you guys the same guys that are his friend are sticking up for him fine I’m sure he’s a nice guy. But others are bothered by nonsense. That’s my take on it. Like it or not. It’s a game of numbers in the end more people that see this post better for his business.

He is not my friend and I don’t own a single BH rod. So you are wrong here to begin with. He has the right to promote his business just like the tackle shops around the canal. He does not need to promote himself personally since he is well known in his dedication to fishing and the quality of fish he catches around the world. 
You and your friends are a bunch of whiners.

The rules about what to post and not to post especially when dealing with the canal are really complicated. Seeing that probably 50% or more of this board has some reference to the canal you would think it's the only place to fish.

I personally like reading about information about the canal. I don't see any issue with this report. The guy caught one or two fish. Big deal.

I wish I could have a day like John B in the you tube video. Epic.

Haven't been there yet this year but I'll eventually get there.

Maybe the canal has to be banned from this board. Any post with the word canal or any alias words dealing with the canal should be removed. Remove all from history also.

Do you think this will minimize the crowds? Probably not since there's a lot of people private messaging and posting in other locations. Not to mention the reports from the tackle shops and other boards that always put a positive spin on the fishing to get more customers through the door.

Time to go to bed. I need to get up early to go fishing. I was thinking about going to the canal but I think I'll go somewhere else.

Have a great day whatever you're doing.

8 mins ago, levari said:

He is not my friend and I don’t own a single BH rod. So you are wrong here to begin with. He has the right to promote his business just like the tackle shops around the canal. He does not need to promote himself personally since he is well known in his dedication to fishing and the quality of fish he catches around the world. 
You and your friends are a bunch of whiners.

He does because Tim allows it. Other guys also have the right to comment or judge those posts, for better or worse. It's an open forum, you need to expect two sides.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

9 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

He does because Tim allows it. Other guys also have the right to comment or judge those posts, for better or worse. It's an open forum, you need to expect two sides.

Words of wisdom. No-one was told to shut up.

4 hours ago, levari said:

It does not matter if they are BS or not. These reports advertise the canal as a great fishing spot around new moon and during great tides.  You just ignore the shops because you know that you will be a joke if you attack them the way you attack Kil.

I’m not attacking anyone. What bait shops are posting reports on SOL? All I’m saying is Kil shouldn’t post names of the spots he’s fishing in his reports. I’m sure it annoys people in other states as well when he posts about the jetty he’s fishing or whatever. He seems like a good guy but he should change how he discusses his reports. Giving specific spots is not necessary and not needed to market his gear and is disrespectful for the local fishermen. Keep the reports coming but be more vague with the locations.