ksong

I got striper in the Cape Cod Canal on 7th tries

Rate this topic

241 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I finally got my striper in the Canal this year. :)

I had 40 plus lb striper on A Band of Anglers' pencil popper.  It hit twice, but missed it. When I slow down my retrieval speed, it hammered my lure.  

I brought the fish to the rock pretty quick.  I had to come down to slippery rocks with regular shoes as nobody helped me. When I finally grabbed the leader line, fish took off and break the line. 

As stripers were busting, I didn't have time to connect leader line. I tied Magic Swimmer directly the braid and it worked. :) I got two more striper on the Magic Swimmer. 

I got skunked on my 6 previous tries.

You got to be patient to fish the Canal.  Don't expect to catch lots of big ones in short period of time as you see in the video. 

It is tough fishing and you got to fight your spot with other anglers too. But the Canal is a magical place and I will return soon. 

11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 1 oz - 6 oz and IRT 500 DD reel used

20200624_052531.jpg

20200625_050119.jpg

20200625_150907.jpg

Edited by ksong

Lottery hits every now and then. Congrats. Now jig up a 30” fish from the bottom and you’ll forget that 40 real quick.

Edited by TimS
If you can’t be polite and leave the negative crap out of these threads, please don’t bother posting in them

On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, ged said:

It is not the same day report. I got skunked today. :)

Edited by TimS
quote edited

19 mins ago, emptyhook said:

Lottery hits every now and then. Congrats. Now jig up a 30” fish from the bottom and you’ll forget that 40 real quick.

I observed that most anglers fight too long whether they catch jigs or topwater lures. :) 

36 mins ago, ged said:

Thanks again for the same day report Kil. Just what we needed. 

Told ya this was the week.......

58 mins ago, ksong said:

I observed that most anglers fight too long whether they catch jigs or topwater lures. :) 

What you observed during the day shouldnt  apply all angler. That place is night and day to night and day.

I used to jig for tuna on crowded party boats  I used 80 lb braid main line and 80 lb leader line and apply drag over 22 lb.  

You can land most yft within 5 minutes and 100 lb tuna within 10 minutes.

Personally I like to use drag in 15 lb - 20 lb range for the Canal when crowded.  

There is no reason to fight more than 10 minutes while anglers next to you just wait until you land. 

38 mins ago, ksong said:

I used to jig for tuna on crowded party boats  I used 80 lb braid main line and 80 lb leader line and apply drag over 22 lb.  

You can land most yft within 5 minutes and 100 lb tuna within 10 minutes.

Personally I like to use drag in 15 lb - 20 lb range for the Canal when crowded.  

There is no reason to fight more than 10 minutes while anglers next to you just wait until you land. 

I agree 100%.

No striper should ever take 10 minutes to land. I have no issue getting fish in quickly, and taking my time to release them, when they are ready. 

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Told ya this was the week.......

Funny you said that.

Before your prediction, sometime in January I actually had taken a vacation day for Monday based on the moon phase and tide. 

I bet the new moon next June will bring bigger fish than May as well :)

1 hour ago, ged said:

Funny you said that.

Before your prediction, sometime in January I actually had taken a vacation day for Monday based on the moon phase and tide. 

I bet the new moon next June will bring bigger fish than May as well :)

Only issue with that explanation is the set of tides in early June were much stronger than this set. If water temps weren’t so far behind the bigger fish would have probably moved through then. That is why so many were worried they wouldn’t show at all. Most don’t  have enough experience to realize if water temps are way off it can delay the big push. Let me know if you need any help next season picking days when the 2021 chart comes out. JK. 

Edited by Tailslap

8 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Only issue with that explanation is the set of tides in early June were much stronger than this set. If water temps weren’t so far behind the bigger fish would have probably moved through then. That is why so many were worried they wouldn’t show at all. Most don’t  have enough experience to realize if water temps are way off it can delay the big push. Let me know if you need any help next season picking days when the 2021 chart comes out. JK. 

I prefer new moon to full moon regardless. Full moon was double minus and new moon was single minus. As expected I caught much bigger on the new moon. 

6 hours ago, jimmy z said:

Nice bass, and get some Korkers for the rocks. None of us are kids anymore:howdy:

I had korkers in my car. Frankly I did not expect to catch striper. :)  

When I fished jetties in Texas, they always were willing to help me by getting down to the slippery rocks to land fish.  I realize you can not expect in the Canal. 

One guy even shouted not to kill the striper by taking pictures long  as soon as I started to take pictures. :)  Different folk in different areas.