ssface

Maritime Skiff 1480 self-bailing Problem??

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just purchased a 2010 Maritime 1480  Sport Skiff  w/40HP Yamaha 4 Stroke in excellent condition (24hrs on it). I have never had a self-bailing cockpit before. I think I understand how it is supposed to work. When it rains the cockpit drains fine via the rear scupper drains both when moored or on my trailer. My problem is the the underfloor well area also fills up! I checked the rear cover to the well and it is watertight.  I checked the cable hole under the console and it did not look like surface water entered there. I end up hand pumping the bilge area when moored and removing the drain plug when on my trailer. The plug does not leak.  There is no water in the bilge when docked for several days without rain.    Is my senior brain missing something very obvious??   I cannot find a Maritime owners manual.   HELP!   thx.  

Edited by ssface

I have a 16 I don’t moor my boat the water will enter the cable hole and fill the tube under the floor .

Keep rear plugs out when on trailer and make sure boat is tiled with a trailer jack on front You don’t want the hull filling up with water underneath the deck especially in the winter time when it freezes it can declaminate the bottom of the hull from the grid work I know it happened to a friend of mine on his Maritime

Edited by mkus

1. The cable hole looked suspect for sure. I was thinking of removing the rubber boot  on it and see if I can somehow make it more waterproof when I reassemble it....maybe fabricate a longer boot.

2. Yes, I keep it fully drained when on the trailer especially during winter storage in northern NY.

3. Another question: have you replaced the deck drain scupper flaps, etc. with any better after market product you would recommend?

4. I am going to replace the stock seat....too low and no back rest

Thank you ever so much for your time.  So far I am liking the boat.

No I have 1” Drain plugs in mine scuppers are useless on these boat just plug them up I’ve owned mine 15 years bluefin Albee’s bonito bass blues blackfish you name it it’s been to Newport block all over it’s the last boat I’ll ever own oh and you’ll never have a transom to replace either!

Edited by mkus

Its time to do a water or air test and fill inside. Sometimes the scuppers leak, it happens. Water and air or both will reveal the source. 

Thx MKUS and Riddler:

I am leaving drain plugs out and let the flaps take care of rain water when moored....plug the drains when using the boat.

Still trying to isolate how rain water gets into the bilge tube when on my trailer or moored with plugs out?

Latest problem is that the circuit breaker  to right of the battery switch is breaking causing nav lights not too work...does not effect ignition???? wish I could find a wiring diagram of my console....

Thx again....love this boat in the chop on my lake....:p

Rain gets in most boats from the console.  Most are not sealed to the floor . Just curious  why you dont add a automatic float pump since you said you leave in water sometimes.. A  hand manual bigle is a emergency back up . 

For self draining floors .th. marine make a ping pong ball style .I like those better over the flaps. 

Thx for your comment

.  I do have a manual bilge pump I use after rain water gets in bilge channel... still figuring out how rain water gets there.

. The flaps seem to work OK when the boat is mored and I put the plugs in when using the boat.

.  I have a console cover on order

Thx again...cheers!