codfish

Injury at the Canal

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

One way to help prevent a fish infection is to wash your hand with  a mixture of bleach and water it may sting but then its that or perhaps a serious visit to the er room and multiple shots.

23 hours ago, bob_G said:

About 15 years ago I developed mycobacteriosis.    Within 12 hours my hand swelled to the size of a catchers mitt.   Months of antibiotics, missed a month of fishing and 2 weeks of work.   What's bad about myco is,  it returns.   Mine did 3 more times.

Scary stuff Bob I am still having some symptoms 9 months later

On 6/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, Joe G said:

Heard a number of years back, and I think I have this straight......that a fisherman somewhere in SE MA, contracted flesh eating bacteria that either resulted in multiple amputations or caused his death. 

ouch, thank God that wasn't my brother!

I wore my Muck boots for years at the canal until one day a few years ago I hooked into a nice fish off the service road (I was pedaling around and saw fish breaking, so took a quick cast). As I am fighting the fish I start walking down the rocks and lost my balance. Kept the rod in one hand and used my other to cushion my fall. Dislocated my finger. Popped it back in, landed and released the fish, but have been wearing my Korkers ever since. I may try adding some spikes to my Muck boots as they are really ideal for me. I like getting calf deep.  :laugh:

I started wearing gloves when I had a large cut on my thumb. After a few night fishing trips, and having the hook grab the gloves and not my hand, was another great reason to wear the gloves, have ever since. 

I don't have spikes or anything since I don't fish the canal often enough.  I'm always worried I'm going to eat it, but I'm all skittish usually, and half crawling around.  The last time I wiped out, I got up to the top, was dinking around looking at birds, and tripped over a big rock up next to the path...lol.  

Korkers at the canal is good insurance. Not needed, but I like to have as sure footing as I can. I originally used hiking boots. For damp mornings or lower tides, I like to have korkers on. Afternoons and night, boots work ok. It only takes a hot sec to fall. 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:16 PM, Joe G said:

Happened to me, same hand same place......that fleshy area between the index finger and the thumb.  Fortunately, nothing came of it.

Happened when I was filleting a large behind the Herring Run Motel for John S. and his wife who were on onsite managers at the time.

The large spine on the pectoral fin got me real good......lodged a good 3/4 inches into my flesh.  My fault.  Fish was slippery and I was rushing it.

Cancer got her about 6 months ago.........:(