codfish

Injury at the Canal

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, clambellies said:

I took a doozy last Tues.  Had spikes on my boots, just plain lost my balance while stepping up on a rock, went down on my back.  When I knew I was going over I tucked my chin on my chest.  Good thing, as I did hit the back of my head but with little force.  After I took stock I was surprised to only have a few bruises and no bleeding or broken bones.  The price you pay to play at the Ditch.

Glad to hear your safe:):)

Couple of years ago my brother slipped on the rocks at the canal.

No big deal went down on one knee and got up and kept going.

He got a small scrape on his leg just below his knee. Two days later, his leg turned bright red and swelled up. He spent 3 days in the hospital with an infection. Caused, they think by barnacles. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, natsgrampy said:

Couple of years ago my brother slipped on the rocks at the canal.

No big deal went down on one knee and got up and kept going.

He got a small scrape on his leg just below his knee. Two days later, his leg turned bright red and swelled up. He spent 3 days in the hospital with an infection. Caused, they think by barnacles. 

Heard a number of years back, and I think I have this straight......that a fisherman somewhere in SE MA, contracted flesh eating bacteria that either resulted in multiple amputations or caused his death. 

Edited by Joe G

32 mins ago, Joe G said:

Heard a number of years back, and I think I have this straight......that a fisherman somewhere in SE MA, contracted flesh eating bacteria that either resulted in multiple amputations or caused his death. 

Yiks, last year I contracted cellulitis, the doc said "your lucky many years ago you would have lost your arm" the cause was an open cut while handling lobster bait. My right arm one morning was double the size of the left.

About 15 years ago I developed mycobacteriosis.    Within 12 hours my hand swelled to the size of a catchers mitt.   Months of antibiotics, missed a month of fishing and 2 weeks of work.   What's bad about myco is,  it returns.   Mine did 3 more times.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

About 15 years ago I developed mycobacteriosis.    Within 12 hours my hand swelled to the size of a catchers mitt.   Months of antibiotics, missed a month of fishing and 2 weeks of work.   What's bad about myco is,  it returns.   Mine did 3 more times.

Was this from handling an infected fish with an open wound?

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Damn, I have only heard of that condition in the fish. 

Almost lost my hand  one summer.........had to take a bunch of meds for a couple of months

Hauling lobster trawls through water loaded with jellyfish........a part of one got inside my glove and i didn't really notice at the time as i was hustling so much

next day it looked horrible and i went to the ER but i was still young at the time so i took the meds and went back at it

just another day working the deck..........:shrug:

14 hours ago, Joe G said:

^^^^^^^^^^  OK...…..happened back in August, 2002...….after 18 years, my memory is still intact.

Albert Holt of Marion, MA was hooked in the hands while removing a bluefish he had caught.

Two weeks later, his finger began to swell......got so bad that local doctors rushed him to NE England Medical Center in Boston.

Was diagnosed with photobacterium damsela, a fast moving and rare form of flesh eating bacteria.

Had four surgeries in twenty hours...….first removing his hand, then his arm, then portions of his back and side.

Vital organs began shutting down and he quickly succumbed thereafter.   

Edited by Joe G

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

^^^^^^^^^^  OK...…..happened back in August, 2002...….after 18 years, my memory is still intact.

Albert Holt of Marion, MA was hooked in the hands while removing a bluefish he had caught.

Two weeks later, his finger began to swell......got so bad that local doctors rushed him to NE England Medical Center in Boston.

Was diagnosed with photobacterium damsela, a fast moving and rare form of flesh eating bacteria.

Had four surgeries in twenty hours...….first removing his hand, then his arm, then portions of his back and side.

Vital organs began shutting down and he quickly succumbed thereafter.   

That's pretty awful.........:(

14 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Was this from handling an infected fish with an open wound?

13 hours ago, ged said:

Damn, I have only heard of that condition in the fish. 

Yup, handling stripers.   It was about 15 years ago when the night time canal jigging was red hot all summer.   Both my hands were raw from handling fish all summer.   One morning I woke up with a tiny red dot on my left hand, between the index and thumb.  Burned like fire. By noon my hand was puffy, by dinner it was a  catchers mitt.   First visit to the ER they  prescribed antibiotics.   Three days later I have a purple streak from my hand, up my arm and into my neck.   Back to the ER. They didn't like it, said blood poisoning.   Not to mention I had a 103* fever.   

They gave me a unit of IV antibiotics, and more powerful antibiotics to take home.   The hand was a mess recovering, with dead flesh peeling off in sheets.   Plus as I mentioned, the infection returned 3 more times in other parts of my body.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

….  Plus as I mentioned, the infection returned 3 more times in other parts of my body.

Well, that certainly piqued my curiosity.  Care to describe where?.

15 mins ago, Joe G said:

Well, that certainly piqued my curiosity.  Care to describe where?.

Sure.  One infection was on my right forearm. The second on my right thigh.  The third on my left buttocks.  

All three were golf ball size red boils, that required antibiotics.   That year I was on antibiotics till Thanksgiving.

Interesting footnote.  Virtually all  human cases of mycobacteriosis occur in extremities.   The reason being, mycobacteriosis doesn't do well in a normal body temperature of 98.6.   However it thrives on temperatures below that.   Human extremities typically run a couple degrees cooler than your core temp of 98.6.

Edited by bob_G

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Yup, handling stripers.  ....   One morning I woke up with a tiny red dot on my left hand, between the index and thumb.....

Happened to me, same hand same place......that fleshy area between the index finger and the thumb.  Fortunately, nothing came of it.

Happened when I was filleting a large behind the Herring Run Motel for John S. and his wife who were on onsite managers at the time.

The large spine on the pectoral fin got me real good......lodged a good 3/4 inches into my flesh.  My fault.  Fish was slippery and I was rushing it.

Geez I think I might Fish with gloves on moving forward. I’ve definitely been injured unhooking fish before but thankfully never got infected. A buddy of mine was unhooking a large Ray one night and it jabbed him in the leg with its barb. He had an awful puncture wound that wouldn’t heal, got infected and he ended up in intensive care for weeks. 

Never been to the canal but a guy next to me on the rocks @ Montauk Point fell and instantly broke his leg, it was like a 45 degree angle. We tried carrying him but they ended up sending fire department out to bring him off the rocks. Wasn’t wearing korkers. I’m not going on any rocks or jetty’s without some spikes on. Too easy to take a spill that could be the end of you or put you out of commission for months.