codfish

Injury at the Canal

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, codfish said:

Good tip

Thanks. 

My staff has a few historical marks of PBs too.

20200626_063305.jpg

Edited by FishRatz

I spent the wee hours of July 4, 2006 in the Morton Hospital ER getting some stiches at the base of my right pinky finger after taking a fall on the rocks next to the Sag...when i flexed my pinky a certain way i could see bone...worst part was it happened when i first got there so I never made a single cast...

11 hours ago, FishRatz said:

I carry a thick round wooden pole (old deck umbrella )

I use to crutch my way up and  down those rocks. It easy to  wedge  it between rocks and lower myself.  

Once down to shore, I place  it horizontal and lean my rod on it, so no guides scrap rocks, while I  set up.

I marked  off measurements for fish lengths and  have a hole  drilled in one  end with a rope to tie up  my keeper and sling the stick over  my shoulder...like huckleberry fin..

Thats a great idea!  This is my constant companion.  Definitely getting the measuring marks. 

I have 2 holes and length of para cord with a snap hook.  Generally its at the top where I can use it as a wrist brace or have it float behind me attached to my waist. But I also a loop thru the 2nd hole, which is about 3/4s down towards the bottom, that I will use the snap hook and sling it like a rifle over my back.  

Sometimes I'll do that wading & fishing streams if floating it gets in my way, but mainly use it that way while hunting if I want to climb something. 

20180611_162548.jpg

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

Thanks. 

20200626_063305.jpg

That looks like a lahti stick the Indian police carry to disperse riots.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

That looks like a lahti stick the Indian police carry to disperse riots.

Its my martial art 'weapon' as well....if needed.... 

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Thats a great idea!  This is my constant companion.  Definitely getting the measuring marks. 

I have 2 holes and length of para cord with a snap hook.  Generally its at the top where I can use it as a wrist brace or have it float behind me attached to my waist. But I also a loop thru the 2nd hole, which is about 3/4s down towards the bottom, that I will use the snap hook and sling it like a rifle over my back.  

Sometimes I'll do that wading & fishing streams if floating it gets in my way, but mainly use it that way while hunting if I want to climb something. 

20180611_162548.jpg

Do you use that when re-enacting scenes from "Lord of the Rings"?

Who plays Gandalf"

"You shall NOT pass!!!"

6 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Thanks. 

20200626_063305.jpg

That reminds me of the Gangs of New York movie where the guy had the stick with marks cut in it for everyone he killed. 

52 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Do you use that when re-enacting scenes from "Lord of the Rings"?

Who plays Gandalf"

"You shall NOT pass!!!"

Wouldn't you

22 hours ago, b-ware said:

And that is the reason why your mother always told you to wear clean underwear………………..

I'll guarantee they weren't clean after she took that header.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

That reminds me of the Gangs of New York movie where the guy had the stick with marks cut in it for everyone he killed. 

these fish were as well......

10 hours ago, Kones1 said:

I can’t rock hop anymore too many old injuries and nagging arthritis one slip and they would have to airlift me outta there or let me float away 

You and me both.

I took a doozy last Tues.  Had spikes on my boots, just plain lost my balance while stepping up on a rock, went down on my back.  When I knew I was going over I tucked my chin on my chest.  Good thing, as I did hit the back of my head but with little force.  After I took stock I was surprised to only have a few bruises and no bleeding or broken bones.  The price you pay to play at the Ditch.