codfish

Injury at the Canal

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Stopped by the Canal on Tuesday, watched two guys carry there friend to the car, I asked what happened they said "He fell walking the slippery rocks along the Canal and we are heading to the ER" careful 

My buddy fell a few years ago.  Wasn't wearing studded boots.  Slipped and landed on his back.  Cracked a couple ribs and was out of commission for weeks.

To litteraly add insult to injury, they had parked at the top of the long stairs.  he had to walk all the way up them all busted up.

Even with spikes, it can be a risky place. Cleats won't do you much good on a rock that looks solid but tips or slides, throwing you off balance. 

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

My buddy fell a few years ago.  Wasn't wearing studded boots.  Slipped and landed on his back.  Cracked a couple ribs and was out of commission for weeks.

To litteraly add insult to injury, they had parked at the top of the long stairs.  he had to walk all the way up them all busted up.

Yikes 

The only time I got seriously hurt there was from slipping on the wet grass and landing on a rock.  I never wear corkers or studs, more hassel than they are worth...……………..

As always, need to always be careful when you are on the rocks no matter when, where, or how. I've been guilty myself for not being careful and slip, but always in a slow way and recovered. Friend on the other hand did fell but not injured (maybe some bruces).

But years ago when I still fish at Sailsbury jetty, there was a group that was just doing rock hopping bare foot. Until one of them slip and fell into a big hole. Within 10 min ambulance came and had to haul the lady out. Probably hit her head from the look of the injury. 

Years ago my wife and I were walking on the cliff walk in Newport and saw an elderly lady lose her balance and fell head first in the crack of the boulders all the way up to her waist. She was stuck with her legs sticking straight up in the air. We had to pull her out. Craziest fall I have ever seen. 

51 mins ago, z-man said:

Years ago my wife and I were walking on the cliff walk in Newport and saw an elderly lady lose her balance and fell head first in the crack of the boulders all the way up to her waist. She was stuck with her legs sticking straight up in the air. We had to pull her out. Craziest fall I have ever seen. 

And that is the reason why your mother always told you to wear clean underwear………………..

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Yiks

I still cringe when I think about my fall two years ago.   Top of the rocks, backwards, right to the water.  Nothing broke except my Mojo.   Dragged myself up to the grass and sat there, on Queer Street for a half hour before going home.

I fell in the canal when I skipped out of my sisters graduation ceremony at MMA - dress shoes weren't the wisest choice...nor was it wise to answer "I peed my pants" when my mother asked why I was all wet.

I carry a thick round wooden pole (old deck umbrella )

I use to crutch my way up and  down those rocks. It easy to  wedge  it between rocks and lower myself.  

Once down to shore, I place  it horizontal and lean my rod on it, so no guides scrap rocks, while I  set up.

I marked  off measurements for fish lengths and  have a hole  drilled in one  end with a rope to tie up  my keeper and sling the stick over  my shoulder...like huckleberry fin..

I'm 67 years young and guys I fish with laugh as I just about crawl or inch my way down to a solid spot There usually fishing by the time I get there  BUT I make it no better on the way out especially if I have a keeper

9 hours ago, FishRatz said:

I carry a thick round wooden pole (old deck umbrella )

I use to crutch my way up and  down those rocks. It easy to  wedge  it between rocks and lower myself.  

Once down to shore, I place  it horizontal and lean my rod on it, so no guides scrap rocks, while I  set up.

I marked  off measurements for fish lengths and  have a hole  drilled in one  end with a rope to tie up  my keeper and sling the stick over  my shoulder...like huckleberry fin..

Good tip

I can’t rock hop anymore too many old injuries and nagging arthritis one slip and they would have to airlift me outta there or let me float away