bob_G

Is the quota filled yet?

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

55 mins ago, bob_G said:

If all this is true, you really have to wonder how long the DMF will allow this comm fishing sham to continue?

  A weak wholesale and retail market.  Poor consumer demand.  Bad off the boat price.     Should they just shut it down to conserve the shaky resource, or simply let the market decide until it's no longer viable?

Sham? 

 

The free markets are operating as intended..  No need to intervene.

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Sham? 

 

The free markets are operating as intended..  No need to intervene.

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Joe,

I've felt for some time the whole commercial striper bass deal is a sham.  

 Cod, haddock, lobster, are universal markets. Widely accepted and recognized all throughout the food industry, nationwide.

At best, wild stripers are a niche market.  Being seasonal, and "wild and hook caught" it's appeal is limited. A certain mystique.  Mostly high end restaurants and fish markets.

 

IMO the fishery is collapsing, the market has shrunk, prices are depressed.  Time to end this charade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, bob_G said:

...

 

IMO the fishery is collapsing, the market has shrunk, prices are depressed.  Time to end this charade.

 

Deal with the "collapsed fishery" by imposing more stringent quotas or just prohibit the sale of striped bass.........but don't use as reasons for doing so free market forces.   Do it because, as you put it, the resource is shaky and may never recover.  

Edited by Joe G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

I've felt for some time the whole commercial striper bass deal is a sham.  

 Cod, haddock, lobster, are universal markets. Widely accepted and recognized all throughout the food industry, nationwide.

At best, wild stripers are a niche market.  Being seasonal, and "wild and hook caught" it's appeal is limited. A certain mystique.  Mostly high end restaurants and fish markets.

 

IMO the fishery is collapsing, the market has shrunk, prices are depressed.  Time to end this charade.

As Joe G said.,..the free market is working as intended; Covid has upset EVERY fish on the market...talk to fishermen in Pt Jude, NB, etc...just when prices were starting to stabilize, the uptick in Covid right now across the country has created chaos in the fishing industry...i.e., sea bass paying 30 cents one day, 3 bucks the next....some buyer don't even want to handle seabass-wont buy it. Fluke prices the same; buyers are only buying tuna from stickboats they know.....as long as social distancing, restaurants closed, draconian measures to keep people safe, fish prices are not going to be consistent. Has nothing to do with "striped bass deal is a sham"...please...look at whats going on in the food/fish industry, and the health/economy of the nation/ world......

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, makaha said:

As Joe G said.,..the free market is working as intended; Covid has upset EVERY fish on the market...talk to fishermen in Pt Jude, NB, etc...just when prices were starting to stabilize, the uptick in Covid right now across the country has created chaos in the fishing industry...i.e., sea bass paying 30 cents one day, 3 bucks the next....some buyer don't even want to handle seabass-wont buy it. Fluke prices the same; buyers are only buying tuna from stickboats they know.....as long as social distancing, restaurants closed, draconian measures to keep people safe, fish prices are not going to be consistent. Has nothing to do with "striped bass deal is a sham"...please...look at whats going on in the food/fish industry, and the health/economy of the nation/ world......

 

 

 

All very good points that if it continues will without question cause further problems in the fish industry for those who make a living selling fish. ON one hand that should also make it better for the stocks to get  a bump, especially the striped bass . The present prices does not make it worth the effort by the fishermen a worth while endeavor to even break even on the costs of the operation to fish. Peace and Prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally sit back and listen to comments on all different forums without comment. However on this topic I want my say. As a full time commercial fisherman for almost 48 years, I understand the need to be diversified and adaptive to changing fish cycles, markets, technology, and environmental conditions. Add in the regulations imposed by state and local agencies because of bad science or pressure by environmental agencies, what used to be a respected profession is now an assault  on the marine ecosystem. While at on time I could harvest one or two species to make a reasonable living, things changed forcing fisherman like myself to diversify using a whole list of options to put together a living. Tired of people telling me to get another job, especially when its the regs that no longer make my industry viable. This berating of commercial fisherman concerning the decline of the striped bass resource is totally unfounded, especially when you look at the year round catch and release fishery practiced in many states. True commercial fisherman should continue to have access to the striped bass resource, as has been forever with the exception of the moratorium, and which predates the exponentially expanded recreational fishery, to be part of their sources of income. Anyone honestly concerned about the health of the striped bass resource should examine the causes for low survival of the YOY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sandflea5 said:

I normally sit back and listen to comments on all different forums without comment. However on this topic I want my say. As a full time commercial fisherman for almost 48 years, I understand the need to be diversified and adaptive to changing fish cycles, markets, technology, and environmental conditions. Add in the regulations imposed by state and local agencies because of bad science or pressure by environmental agencies, what used to be a respected profession is now an assault  on the marine ecosystem. While at on time I could harvest one or two species to make a reasonable living, things changed forcing fisherman like myself to diversify using a whole list of options to put together a living. Tired of people telling me to get another job, especially when its the regs that no longer make my industry viable. This berating of commercial fisherman concerning the decline of the striped bass resource is totally unfounded, especially when you look at the year round catch and release fishery practiced in many states. True commercial fisherman should continue to have access to the striped bass resource, as has been forever with the exception of the moratorium, and which predates the exponentially expanded recreational fishery, to be part of their sources of income. Anyone honestly concerned about the health of the striped bass resource should examine the causes for low survival of the YOY.

Amen..........:th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 6:02 PM, makaha said:

As Joe G said.,..the free market is working as intended; Covid has upset EVERY fish on the market...talk to fishermen in Pt Jude, NB, etc...just when prices were starting to stabilize, the uptick in Covid right now across the country has created chaos in the fishing industry...i.e., sea bass paying 30 cents one day, 3 bucks the next....some buyer don't even want to handle seabass-wont buy it. Fluke prices the same; buyers are only buying tuna from stickboats they know.....as long as social distancing, restaurants closed, draconian measures to keep people safe, fish prices are not going to be consistent. Has nothing to do with "striped bass deal is a sham"...please...look at whats going on in the food/fish industry, and the health/economy of the nation/ world......

 

 

 

spoken like you know a thing or two about the commercial fishing industry giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, bradW said:

spoken like you know a thing or two about the commercial fishing industry giphy.gif

:cool:...but what's happening now in the country/NE/world is simple capitalistic economics.....supply/demand....heavily weighted on the demand side.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, makaha said:

:cool:...but what's happening now in the country/NE/world is simple capitalistic economics.....supply/demand....heavily weighted on the demand side.....

Keynesian economic theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Joe G said:

For those keeping track:

 

Landings as of 8/7/20........179,579.lbs.........24.4% of quota.

Maybe our striper license plates are somehow tied into the quota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Maybe our striper license plates are somehow tied into the quota?

Even as a child you were always the impatient one.    :dismay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now