bob_G

Is the quota filled yet?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Judging from the line up of boats at the truck yesterday it appears like some are finding where the large ones are hiding . I had a chance to speak to one who told me that had about 240 pounds for the day , not a great deal of weight overall I would think, even if he only might have had 10 fish

RI DEM posted on their social media page that they busted boats with commercial and rec licenses fishing in The EEZ for bass this past weekend. So it’s all but certain guys are filling ma quota with the block island stock again. 

10 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

RI DEM posted on their social media page that they busted boats with commercial and rec licenses fishing in The EEZ for bass this past weekend. So it’s all but certain guys are filling ma quota with the block island stock again. 

doubt it...lot of heat out there....and few MA stickers; they'd be fools to try it......the big fish they're selling are from your back yard.....

On 7/1/2020 at 5:59 PM, Pistol Pete said:

I just added it up: 

in 10 years, (which is not a large window of time  relatively speaking)

the REPORTED kill of JUST commercial bass is 

10,877,448 pounds.  

All so guys can supplement their time on the water, and tourists 

can eat a fish that they can't tell apart from a Black Sea bass when its on their 

plate.  

And this doesn't even take into account the recreational kill which is 

certainly higher... and unreported poaching kill #'s.  

Wish it would just be illegal to kill striped bass for a solid 5 years 

for ALL sectors. 

thats my opinion...  If you disagree, that's fine... you're entitled to your 

perspective... but too many bass are getting hammered too fast , by everyone. 

the ratio of Rec to Comm landings used to be around 7:1...not sure if that ratio has changed much over the years...

On 7/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, z-man said:

That’s a pretty dramatic drop in catches the last two years. It shows that there is a major problem with bass stocks. What do you guys predict this years catch will be? I think it’ll be less than 50% of the quota filled. 

Shore guys took a 80something% cut in there quota those years. That's a lot of fish they couldn't sell.  Season will go all year again and probably not reach 50%

1 hour ago, makaha said:

doubt it...lot of heat out there....and few MA stickers; they'd be fools to try it......the big fish they're selling are from your back yard.....

RI dem could be lying but they said they busted boats with comm permits. I am aware of the larger fish around MA I’m sure the fish are coming from that stock as well. 

2 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

RI dem could be lying but they said they busted boats with comm permits. I am aware of the larger fish around MA I’m sure the fish are coming from that stock as well. 

...RI commercial fishermen, besides rec and  a skin diving boat with undersize fish and undersize fillets......