Southcoastphil

Seeking input re possibly offering short term apartment to anglers

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I AM SEEKING YOUR INPUTS, NOT OFFERING THIS SPACE FOR RENT. 

I have a 2-BR apartment in superb condition that I'm considering offering to anglers on a short term basis through July & August. It's 30 minutes from the Canal (I've done that drive hundreds of times), about 45 minutes from Newport, RI and an hour to South County, RI. Five minutes to the paved boat launch for Buzzards Bay.
Do you think there would be any interest? 
What would you pay, assuming one queen bed in one BR and two twin beds in the other? 
Would two twin beds in each BR be better than a queen plus two twins, or would a futon in one of the LRs (there are two) suffice for the fourth bed?
Does a four night minimum seem OK? 
Due to COVID, would you be prefer to bring your own pillows & towels?

How important are the following, on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being a “must have”?
    • TV
    • WIFI
    • AC in both BRs
    • Grill
    • Outdoor clothes line
    • Washer & Dryer in building 
        ◦ Laundromat is ½ mile away
    • Dog-friendly 
    • Facilities for rinsing off and drying gear (rods, plugs, boots, waders, etc.)
    • Fly tying vise
    • Shower soap & shampoo

Please share any other thoughts as well.
Many thanks!

Not from NE but will try to answer what I can.

There are some members on here that deal with rental properties that may give you some good guidance as well.

I'm in NJ, just renovated a 2 bedroom apartment in Hudson County over the winter and was getting ready to rent it out when the virus kicked into high gear.

Given we'd just completely redid the apartment, we decided not to rent it for a couple of reasons.

1. Executive / State of Emergency order where if tenants couldn't pay, you were prohibited from evicting them. Up to 90 days after the State of Emergency was terminated.

2. Didn't want to deal with "showings" and having people in and out and possibly dealing with virus contamination / cleanup.

For your apartment, my thoughts are:

Do you think there would be any interest?

Yes. People have been confined to their homes for a few months and most likely will not be traveling via air, but they will most likely by car.

What would you pay, assuming one queen bed in one BR and two twin beds in the other?

No idea. My recommendation would be to see what VRBO and AirB are charging in the general area with similar offerings.

Would two twin beds in each BR be better than a queen plus two twins, or would a futon in one of the LRs (there are two) suffice for the fourth bed?

If you're strictly targeting anglers, twin beds. If you want to possibly capture families, 1 queen in 1 bedroom and twin beds in another.

Does a four night minimum seem OK?

3-4 is acceptable, it all depends on rate/s.

Check what others in the area are offering and position yours in similar ballpark.

Due to COVID, would you be prefer to bring your own pillows & towels?

Have never traveled with own pillows or towels, but given virus situation, may not be a bad idea as an option.

How important are the following, on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being a “must have”?
    • TV - 5
    • WIFI - 4 / 5
    • AC in both BRs - 5
    • Grill - 5. Good option for anglers and families.
    • Outdoor clothes line - 2
    • Washer & Dryer in building - 5. For our apartment, based on feedback we got from people who rent, the convenience of in unit washer dryer is key. Nobody wants to lug clothes to the laundromat, let alone on vacation. If in unit washer dryer, you will most likely also be able to get a better premium.
        ◦ Laundromat is ½ mile away
    • Dog-friendly - Depends. For our rental unit, since it was complete reno, we're not allowing any pets / animals of any kind.
    • Facilities for rinsing off and drying gear (rods, plugs, boots, waders, etc.) - 4/5 especially for anglers.
    • Fly tying vise - 1
    • Shower soap & shampoo - 4/5

Please share any other thoughts as well.

Will you be managing / turning the apartment over in between rentals?

If you'll have someone managing that, keep in mind your costs will be more than if you were turning it over / cleaning it up yourself most likely.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

I rented my place with Airbb for a while and was very happy doing so.

I would adjust min stay based on demand and season.  Lots of weekend rentals so 2 nights worked for me.  I also made my per night stay low in price.  Having the place rented was better then no less time at high dollar but you can find a balance that works.

Definitely a washer and dryer.  Soap and towels.  Bedding 

Make a clear set of rules and guidelines.  Be picky who you rent to.  Stay available but not intrusive to guests.

Airbb website has lots of great info

Some great advice mentioned.  I’ve run a two bedroom Airbnb in my home in Newport  for the past three years.  I’ve tried to target anglers specifically on social media but have had very few stay with me.  I run a two night minimum and Because of Covid block a day either side of the stay to allow thorough cleaning.  Covid has thrown the entire rental community into a spin.  Cancellation policies are also important.  May want to encourage your guests to get travel insurance otherwise they’ll cancel last minute and ask for a full refund and blame the virus. Also check the local zoning laws about permitted length of stays.  One last thing is make sure to let your neighbors know your plans.  Loud fishermen  coming or going at 3 am might cause some Neighborhood friction.  

Will just chime in on the beds. 2 twin xl can be pushed together to make a king. Common solution for vacation rentals but you have to worry about your floors

Lastly, guarantee that no matter what the conditions, time of year, weather forecasts, that they WILL catch fish!

Then tell them where the nearest fish monger is located so they can "catch" a fish from them if they get skunked. :laugh:

Good luck!

Rent rooms in an anglers-only BnB set up? Two BRs, two shared living rooms, shared bath, kitchen, & dining room. Book both BRs and have a full apartment.

In that scenario, if you book only one BR and nobody books the other one, you'd have the whole apartment to yourselves.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Lastly, guarantee that no matter what the conditions, time of year, weather forecasts, that they WILL catch fish!

Then tell them where the nearest fish monger is located so they can "catch" a fish from them if they get skunked. :laugh:

Good luck!

I could just keep some bait in a livewell and toss it to them at no charge!!

9 hours ago, joem said:

Will just chime in on the beds. 2 twin xl can be pushed together to make a king. Common solution for vacation rentals but you have to worry about your floors

I could easily do that by adding the appropriate pads to the legs of the frames.

12 hours ago, DZ said:

Some great advice mentioned.  I’ve run a two bedroom Airbnb in my home in Newport  for the past three years.  I’ve tried to target anglers specifically on social media but have had very few stay with me.  I run a two night minimum and Because of Covid block a day either side of the stay to allow thorough cleaning.  Covid has thrown the entire rental community into a spin.  Cancellation policies are also important.  May want to encourage your guests to get travel insurance otherwise they’ll cancel last minute and ask for a full refund and blame the virus. Also check the local zoning laws about permitted length of stays.  One last thing is make sure to let your neighbors know your plans.  Loud fishermen  coming or going at 3 am might cause some Neighborhood friction.  

Thank you DZ for the great advice.

FWIW, my family just rented a beach house in Brigantine for a week. We had to bring our own bed linens and towels due to the virus. Not a big deal.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

FWIW, my family just rented a beach house in Brigantine for a week. We had to bring our own bed linens and towels due to the virus. Not a big deal.

Thanks, that's v helpful MMike.

Renting short term is much better than long term. Pick a day that it normally turns over, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

If your not providing linens, pillows, towels, your cleanup will be much easier.