plugchucker

First bait casting reel suggestions

17 posts in this topic

I’ve played around with them many years ago, but nothing serious. I recently got on a kick of tossing frogs and larger spinner baits. Spinning gear just isn’t cutting it. Time to step up to a bait caster.

I plan on putting it on a 7- 7.5 foot medium/ medium heavy rod and will be primarily tossing frogs, larger spinner baits and some large crank baits up to say 1 ounce. 
What do you guys recommend to start with for say under 200 bucks?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm an Abu Garcia Guy. If you are first starting out, I would get a good used Revo MGX. They are lightweight and can cast a light lure or a heavy lure  a long way. My second choice would be a Shimano. Again a good used one like a Curado or a Chronarch. JMO

Edited by Cadman T

abu garcia C3600 owner here and i use it for everything from musky camp plugs, tossing spoons to great lakes slamon and jigging coho in BC.   I enjoy this reel because if you are a gear nut you can buy after market parts like carbon fiber drag systems, ceramic bearings, and worm coils.   it can be disassembled with a leather-man on the back of a tailgate its lovely

I use Lews bait casters in Fw. Low profile, easier to learn with than Abu Garcia, which I use for SW. Lews will also last long time like abu's, but may be little more $$. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, plugchucker said:

Any Daiwa recommendations? I’ve heard that they’re pretty reliable.

The Tatula 200 or the Coastal 200 will be perfect for your usage...big cranks/spinnerbaits. I'd go with the 6:1 ratio for the moving baits, but might be a tad slow for frogging. 

Edited by buddha162

10 mins ago, triumph said:

Looks like Abu Garcia Revo SX is being fazed out.. BP has some deals on them

That was my first baitcaster and I've been using it for years. That and the Revo Rocket have served me well and have survived a lot of abuse.

Sort of related... I just picked up the Revo Inshore for tossing lighter striper plugs and I should have known it wasn't going to be a fast enough retrieve...

The Abu Black Max is a great reel. They cost about $40 and work really well. Try one, see if you like it, then go spend a ton of money on a fancier reel if you need to. Mine is loaded with the last of the 50 lb PowerPro from my saltwater reel. I think there is about 100 yards on there. Plenty for freshwater use

5 hours ago, triumph said:

Looks like Abu Garcia Revo SX is being fazed out.. BP has some deals on them

Abu Garcia Revos are one of the better options to start with low pro wise.

You get both a mag brake and centrifugal brake to learn on as well as a robust frame and brass gearing.

IAlthough, if I had to pick just one low pro for small fresh water fish like bass and walleye it is the Okuma Komodo 273SS. Full stainless steel drive train on a metal frame means you could crank the heat out of hell.

Plug,

Way under your budget but another Abu Black Max recommendation here. 

I bought one a few years ago, heavy, heavy use. Then I said, ok let me buy a more expensive one and got a Lew's Tournament MB. The Lew's cost over 2x as much, I often couldn't tell much difference between the 2, and the Lew's stopped working after 1 season and a fraction of the use I have on the Abu - spool won't engage when turning the handle. 

Good luck

Peter

12 hours ago, Petesweetmeat said:

The Lew's cost over 2x as much, I often couldn't tell much difference between the 2

That could be bc both Lews and Abu are Korean OEM - Doyo reels. 

On 6/27/2020 at 7:23 AM, St.Croix Man said:

I use Lews bait casters in Fw. Low profile, easier to learn with than Abu Garcia, which I use for SW. Lews will also last long time like abu's, but may be little more $$. 

Lew's are awesome.  Been a Quantum fan for years in freshwater, but recently started upgrading my gear and the new Lew's reels are excellent.  The Tournament MP 6.8:1 would be a good starting point for under $200.  If you're going to be throwing big cranks, maybe get the 5.6:1.