Bogey

Shimano line rollers

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My second shimano, a 5000 SW, started to howl yesterday I was using it because the reel I usually use for what I was doing was benched, Stradic 5000SJ, for howling.

I treat them the same as the Penns and the Penns don’t howl.

Is there anything that will tame a howl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

keep a supply of replacement line rollers on hand.   I believe all bearing running line rollers in sw reels are a one piece cartridge.....call shimano...they'll likely send one or two for free.   and soak em in tsi 321

And shimano will tell you don't oil or treat them due to the hydrophobic coating applied... But if you have issues.. Start with a tsi soak and loosen the screw and hit it with a periodic drop. 

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, ozifish said:

Now doesn't that sort of news just wanna make you run out a buy a heap of shimano reels..LOL

They changed the design. It's now fully modular.  When the new gosa and spheros launch I assume they'll follow the stradic and Twinpower and Stella fj design. 

 

I've seen bad line rollers in every reel.  They're a part that in almost all reels is a almost guaranteed point of failure.  

 

My understanding was the replacement cartridge (line roller bearings, roller, seals etc only cost 10 bucks... Not bad considering most held up pretty well.. The only issue was that they would occasionally run out of stock. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they will all fail eventually but how quickly between different brands ? With these shimano reels mentioned does it make it a viable reel to own compared to others which are less prone or so soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, ozifish said:

Yes they will all fail eventually but how quickly between different brands ? With these shimano reels mentioned does it make it a viable reel to own compared to others which are less prone or so soon.

Stradic FK, Saragosa SW, Spheros SW......ummmmm For the past 5 years they have been the gold standard or in the Sherogosa's case the best in the price range and best even above their price range.

Some have been replaced with new models...stradic fl and the gosa is due I assume at Icast...I leaked a pic of it this past winter.

 

THe stradic is the best Sub 200$ fw reel made right now unless you want weight reduction...then look ballistic tatula.... 

For the salt...the spinfisher is excellent..but I've seen pinion bearing issues on the design (slammer 3 included)....on my personal reels, friends and through people contacting me asking for diagnosis and solutions on social media.

 

Shimano changed the design and so far I while I've seen some quality control issues with the stradic and even stellas...I haven't heard of any line roller issues....yet...

For that matter..I've only heard of a few spinfisher line roller issues......which is par for the coarse..and it's a generic sealed bearing...easily replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, scoobydoo said:

They changed the design. It's now fully modular.  When the new gosa and spheros launch I assume they'll follow the stradic and Twinpower and Stella fj design. 

 

I've seen bad line rollers in every reel.  They're a part that in almost all reels is a almost guaranteed point of failure.  

 

My understanding was the replacement cartridge (line roller bearings, roller, seals etc only cost 10 bucks... Not bad considering most held up pretty well.. The only issue was that they would occasionally run out of stock. 

 

 

Scoob. Does this mean you can’t upgrade just the roller bearing? Because of the new sealing in the roller system? I know some people that source a higher end bearing from local bearing companies. The first SW had terrible corrosion on the roller bearings which started us looking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Scoob. Does this mean you can’t upgrade just the roller bearing? Because of the new sealing in the roller system? I know some people that source a higher end bearing from local bearing companies. The first SW had terrible corrosion on the roller bearings which started us looking. 

The old ones were press fit cartridges... Not something easily serviceable. No clue what all the new ones are.. If like the FL it will be a drop in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 3:50 PM, scoobydoo said:

keep a supply of replacement line rollers on hand.   I believe all bearing running line rollers in sw reels are a one piece cartridge.....call shimano...they'll likely send one or two for free.   and soak em in tsi 321

And shimano will tell you don't oil or treat them due to the hydrophobic coating applied... But if you have issues.. Start with a tsi soak and loosen the screw and hit it with a periodic drop. 

Ya think they would have one for old 2500 Stradic fh ... I have one that the roller been screaming on for like 10 years .. lol still fishes great though . Best 120$ real ever . Was sad when they changed them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an older Stradic which required frequent line roller servicing.

I grew tired of the maintenance and the expense and gave the reel away.

It’s good to hear that Shimano improved the design because, aside from the line roller, it was a great reel and gave me no trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, olvart said:

Do any of you guys lube your roller bearing with Corrosion X ?

If not,you should!!:howdy:

Yup! Corrosion x or tsi... Both spectacular at extending life... A must for anyone expecting longevity out of any saltwater reel.. Whether it's 40$ or 1000$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.6.2020. at 5:03 PM, valentine said:

It’s good to hear that Shimano improved the design because, aside from the line roller, it was a great reel and gave me no trouble.

Yes, with the new Spheros and bushing instead of bearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.