BrianBM

Underwhelmed by Renzetti

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Specifically, the Traveller SW.

 

I sat down yesterday and today, trying to channel Glen Mikkelson, for the first time tying in a couple of years. His epoxy baitfish look gorgeous in "Innovative Saltwater Flies," and they look achievable by amateurs, unlike some others in the book. Lots of small things I need to relearn ...

 

I remembered immediately the things about the Traveller that I never did like.  The jaws are one, but I do have a cam jaw waiting for installation.  That's part of tomorrow's labors. The original jaws don't hold to my satisfaction.  A greater annoyance is the screw at the base of the pedestal that's supposed to keep the shaft from rotating. I don't want the @^&#$&*  to rotate, I want it to stay in place, but short of stuffing the base with PC-7 (which I may do) I find I need to tighten the screw repeatedly.

 

Is there any kind of tying that anyone does that really needs the vertical shaft to rotate so that it's not over the pedestal?  

 

A square base on the vertical shaft that fit in a nice square hole would absolutely not rotate. The additional work would be minimal, at the shop. Why don't they do that? Because the product sells, "true rotary" in the marketplace has become synonymous with them and Dyna-King. Why bother improving a product?

 

Family businesses get sclerotic. This is a classic case of a small firm waiting to be smashed by some entrepreneurial Chinese machine shop.

 

Rant over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. I was looking at vise prices today for the first time in ... I dunno, at least ten years. ye Gods and good Lord, $600-800 for a top-end Renzetti or Dyna-King?

 

Rant continues after all. For what kind of tying is the "indexing" function on the Dyna-King Indexer of use?  Their web site is wonderfully uninformative.

 

PPS.  And I don't like my Nu-Wave fly rotator either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assume the vertical shaft has a flat on it for engagement with the screw ?   Replace the thumb screw with an Allen Head Cap screw and tighten with an allen wrench.    In addition a little Loctite small thread loc would do the trick.   If doing this just make sure not to over tighten significantly with the leverage of an allen wrench as the thread in the base might strip out seeing the base is only a casting and castings are as strong as wrought materials.  Barring that send it to me and I'll make sure the sucker doesn't turn  :)

 

HT

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll see about that flat.

 

Loctite will be the first resort, but by the beard of St. Melvin, I'll damnwell stuff the base with PC 7 if it keeps annoying me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like you have a bit of a wet ass...

 

Top end is/was never cheap. I don't remember what my Master cost years ago but it was well worth it. ~25 years later it's still around and I couldn't imagine tying with anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian, are you asking if anyone ever wants to turn the fly around to the other side while tying? Tons of flies require turning the fly around to tie the other side...doing it without having to remove the fly from the vice is very convenient :)  I've had the Renzetti Traveller for close to 30 years and have tied a gazillion flies and close to that many smiling bills from 1/4oz to 6oz on it. Tied on hooks from size 20 up to 9/0. Mine doesn't have a pedestal, it has a screw type clamp. I think it came with both a pedestal and a clamp...never liked the pedestal :)

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was underwhelmed by them too. I called them 2 years ago before the Edsion NJ fly show to make sure they'd have their most expensive top vice there. They assured me they would. I even talked to Mrs Renzetti herself. 

So I go to the show with a pocket full of cash. Ready to buy if the vice lived up to its reputation.

I get to their booth. They forgot to bring it. They were using it at a fly tying class near their home and no one bothered to pack it.

Dyna King didn't have a booth. So I went searching the internet and will now be buying a Cottereli T Rex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, reelfire said:

I was underwhelmed by them too. I called them 2 years ago before the Edsion NJ fly show to make sure they'd have their most expensive top vice there. They assured me they would. I even talked to Mrs Renzetti herself. 

So I go to the show with a pocket full of cash. Ready to buy if the vice lived up to its reputation.

I get to their booth. They forgot to bring it. They were using it at a fly tying class near their home and no one bothered to pack it.

Dyna King didn't have a booth. So I went searching the internet and will now be buying a Cottereli T Rex.

What a beautiful vice that T rex is.....wow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimS said:

Brian, are you asking if anyone ever wants to turn the fly around to the other side while tying? Tons of flies require turning the fly around to tie the other side...doing it without having to remove the fly from the vice is very convenient :)  I've had the Renzetti Traveller for close to 30 years and have tied a gazillion flies and close to that many smiling bills from 1/4oz to 6oz on it. Tied on hooks from size 20 up to 9/0. Mine doesn't have a pedestal, it has a screw type clamp. I think it came with both a pedestal and a clamp...never liked the pedestal :)

 

TimS

Rotating a fly on the axis of the hook is great - I do that constantly. But to exert any serious pull on thread, from any angle, you want the thing not to lurch, wobble or spin on its' axis.  The set screw at the bottom of the shaft just can't hold the thing steady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reelfire said:

I was underwhelmed by them too. I called them 2 years ago before the Edsion NJ fly show to make sure they'd have their most expensive top vice there. They assured me they would. I even talked to Mrs Renzetti herself. 

So I go to the show with a pocket full of cash. Ready to buy if the vice lived up to its reputation.

I get to their booth. They forgot to bring it. They were using it at a fly tying class near their home and no one bothered to pack it.

You were underwhelmed by a vice you didn't get to try? I'm not following this logic....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Rotating a fly on the axis of the hook is great - I do that constantly. But to exert any serious pull on thread, from any angle, you want the thing not to lurch, wobble or spin on its' axis.  The set screw at the bottom of the shaft just can't hold the thing steady.

Rotating on the axis of the hook I'd call spinning. I'm talking about turning the vice on the vertical axis so you can work on the other side of the fly :)

 

Like I said, the pedestal thing never worked for me because when I'm tying big bucktails with crazy strong thread I use a lotta pressure and the pedestal would move too much. Try a clamp base on the vice...they don't move :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you get used to what you get used to, and after that, everything else seems awkward. I tried a Traveler a while back and just could not get used to it. I use a C-Clamp Regal Inex for 99% of my fresh and saltwater tying. It's what I have used for 35 years, and it's just what I prefer. Repositioning a fly is a quick squeeze, reposition, and release. With that said I know guys who wouldn't trade their Traveler for any vise in the world. 


Geeze I sound old....... :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimS said:

You were underwhelmed by a vice you didn't get to try? I'm not following this logic....

I was underwhelmed by total lack of customer service. I traveled close to 3 hours with traffic to get there. Specifically  made the trip to see and purchase the vice from them if it was all they said it was. Talked to the owner of the company herself who promised to have it there since none of their local dealers stocked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. As someone who does a lot of trade shows for a living albeit in an unrelated industry, I can say trade shows can be logistical nightmares and stressful on a small business in he best of conditions. Special requests, sometimes at the last minute are easily forgotten. Hopefully they will find a way to work with you and make it right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.