Spyderco Siren

6 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Got excited until I saw the $240 msrp. $168 on Amazon, which is still more than the cost of one of my setups. Plus Amazon doesn’t allow shipping to MA - I assume due to knife regs. here.

Spyderco website MSRP's are always inflated,  Regular retail is almost always cheaper.

The blade steel on the siren,LC200n, is basically a miracle of modern metallurgy.  Most highly corrosion resistant steels (like the commonly used H1) while being highly corrosion resistant are very difficult to sharpen and don't hold the edge when they do.  LC200n steel is highly corrosion resistant but sharpens far easier, gets blazing sharp and holds an edge well.  

Good knives ain't cheap.

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Most highly corrosion resistant steels (like the commonly used H1) while being highly corrosion resistant are very difficult to sharpen and don't hold the edge when they do.  LC200n steel is highly corrosion resistant but sharpens far easier, gets blazing sharp and holds an edge well.

Would you say the LC200N is as corrosion resistant as H1? I won't use plain edged H1 for the reasons stated...but they are basically 100% rust proof. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Would you say the LC200N is as corrosion resistant as H1? I won't use plain edged H1 for the reasons stated...but they are basically 100% rust proof. 

From everything I’ve read, practically speaking LC200N is as corrosion resistant  in saltwater as H1. Technically I believe LC200N is a bit more susceptible to galvanic corrosion and corrosion from other harsh chemicals then H1.  

It's premium priced. It would probably run afoul of blade length laws for folders in virtually every MA town. IIRC, some are down to 2". I have a Rapala folding filet knife that works surprisingly well. I don't bring it anywhere out of concern for aggravation if I were stopped for some reason. There is, to my knowledge, no sportsman's exemption. It's a continuous race to see who can have the dumbest regulations.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

I wouldn't want to say which one is more corrosion resistant but they are both nearly corrosion proof.  They both can be abused and neglected in saltwater.  The near universal opinion on the knife forums is LC200n is an overall superior steel (than H1) for saltwater use.  Frankly, I dislike H1.  I like to keep my knives sharp and an H1 blade is a misery to sharpen and it will get dull by a strong breeze. The Spyder Salt line of knives are much beloved by Spyderco nerds and all come in H1.  Spyderco is slowly (far to slowly for the nerds) reissuing the Salt line in LC200n.

39 mins ago, atv223 said:

From everything I’ve read, practically speaking LC200N is as corrosion resistant  in saltwater as H1. Technically I believe LC200N is a bit more susceptible to galvanic corrosion and corrosion from other harsh chemicals then H1.  

Every steel is a trade off.  

For years if your saltwater recreation required you to have a knife that didn't corrode H1 was your best option.  But you had to make a lot of tradeoff's for H1's saving grace. Now with LC200n the trade offs you have to make - galvanic corrosion (how would that ever happen?) or "harsh chemical's" (who cares?) are de minimis.  BTW, i've never heard either of these criticisms on the knife forums.

22 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Frankly, I dislike H1.  I like to keep my knives sharp and an H1 blade is a misery to sharpen and it will get dull by a strong breeze. 

That's my experience with the plain edge H1 knives, which leaves me with a couple of serrated H1 salts which are great at poking gills and cutting rope but not much else. I'll take a look at the LC200n knives they have on offer now, a plain edge Salt that actually holds an edge would tick many boxes for me. 

The thin H-1 steel blade on this diminutive Spyderco ‘Ark’ stays much sharper than my Caspian Salt. My original Salts serrations are still razor sharp, and the knife is rust free after 10 years of zero maintenance. I do need a Japanese water stone to get the smooth section sharp.

F794E976-52C5-4631-9AFA-7C533BE096DB.jpeg

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

That knife looks nice. Something I see and “want” for the cool factor but I’m not sure what I would use it for. I carry a cheap bait knife for the rare occasion I cut bait and have a cheap Leatherman that has somehow lasted several seasons in my PFD pocket with only minor oiling. Obviously emergency/self-rescue could be a use but the sharp point would concern me there. In terms of kayak fishing, what kinds of uses do you guys see this having?

5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

That's my experience with the plain edge H1 knives, which leaves me with a couple of serrated H1 salts which are great at poking gills and cutting rope but not much else. I'll take a look at the LC200n knives they have on offer now, a plain edge Salt that actually holds an edge would tick many boxes for me. 

Check out the Nick Shabazz review on Youtube on the Siren...Lotta knife guys respect his reviews.