bob_G

Do hummingbirds nest here?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Real honeybees are becoming increasingly rare in our area.  My wife and I kept bees for years, but we finally threw in the towel.  Diseases and some sort of declining hive syndrome made it impossible to winter over hives.

We kept one hive in our backyard.  Best gardens we ever had was due to those bees.

I'm amazed at how late into the evening hummingbirds continue to feed.   I had one that was still at my feeder at 815pm.  It was almost totally dark.

Cardinals too.   They feed right up until dark.

Before this rain they were hitting my feeders hard. 2 cups about every 3 days. I suppose some of it could've been evaporation. 

Rain seems to have slowed them a bit. Still feeding but not as regularly. 

On 6/23/2020 at 0:23 PM, bob_G said:

Good question, and I can't answer.   A couple of them have all but landed on my nose.

Hummingbirds are highly color-sensitive. A red nose may look like .... I dunno, a red canna bloom, or something. If you want to feed them, hang a small fluid feeder from your nose. If not, zinc oxide will discourage them.

;)

Our Hummingbird feeders have new guests this year.  For the first time in the 20 plus years we have had the feeders up we are get Orioles (mostly females) constantly feeding on the nectar..  Only saw my first Hummingbird this morning.

the feeder in the back of the house is guarded by one hummer..heaven help if another comes even close to it...it must sit in the tree waiting then bounces and drives off the other...the feeder in the front of the house is shared by all?

That Capesams hogs all the humming birds.

Sweety and I only see them heading for Capesams.

He must have some hot looking flowers in his yard or he gives them some French wine.

Oh well at lest we get to see them flying by.