Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Blowing SW wind almost forever....

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Would you still fish South side of cape or North of cape side because of this? Why?

I've always had bad luck catching ANYTHING when it's blowing SW. Never see it blow this long.

I always believed what I was taught by people I believed knew what it took and they swore at the sou’westers. Sower winds. Those old timers knew a thing or two   No electronics back then. Radio and loran. 

29 mins ago, Kones1 said:

I always believed what I was taught by people I believed knew what it took and they swore at the sou’westers. Sower winds. Those old timers knew a thing or two   No electronics back then. Radio and loran. 

Does that means not good for fishing? 

They could catch fish no matter the wind. The wind from the SW is the direction it blows almost all summer. Beginning around noon or so    We fished out of Rock Harbor and always had a wet ride home but never without a box full. 

SW wind was always my fav, esp back in my comm boat fishing days.   My least fav was NW, which is usually followed by a cold front.

2 kinds of SW winds around the cape.........Bermuda highs that sit off the continent pumping warm water and sw winds this way. Don't seem to see this nearly as much today as 25 years ago.

Local sea breezes........caused by the difference in temps between sea and land.  You could fish offshore all day in FAC conditions then as you headed back to the harbour you could see the wind line about 3 miles off the beach. A mile from port and it would be blowing 20-25 sw.

I'm sure rst could explain it much better than me but 40 plus years on boats and ships this is what I have observed.

I have caught plenty of fish while it blowing sw lol

4 mins ago, robc22 said:

Local sea breezes........caused by the difference in temps between sea and land.  You could fish offshore all day in FAC conditions then as you headed back to the harbour you could see the wind line about 3 miles off the beach. A mile from port and it would be blowing 20-25 sw.

Also known locally as a Buzzards Bay SW wind.

Wind from the west fish bite best.  Wind from the East. Fish bite least.  Heard that a lot when I was a kid.   No idea where it comes from. 

I’s loves mes a goods southwest winds.

I usually do well in Nantucket sound when it is blowing. I would agree too high of a wind speed makes it tough to fish-drifts and casts and pitching boats.

The west wind fishes ok from Hull to Plymouth, the wind is at your back most of the time and  the waves are small  so you can cast a mile   The west wind does push the warm water out and make it very clear and the water some what colder for summer fishing so night fishing is much better than daytime.

19 mins ago, jhndoe said:

Wind from the west fish bite best.  Wind from the East. Fish bite least.  Heard that a lot when I was a kid.   No idea where it comes from. 

Yup and wind from the north don’t venture forth wind from the south blows it in their mouth