Circle Hooks and Live Eels

Rate this topic

18 mins ago, boulderdash said:

Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm).I think you would need some type of jig head

“Cast and retrieved” wth a light jighead.  If you dead stick you need an inline circle.

Casting an eel and reeling with a J hook should be OK (according to the EPO I talked to regarding this reg). Maybe I am mistaken??

Edited by ged

7 mins ago, ged said:

“Cast and retrieved” wth a light jighead.  If you dead stick you need an inline circle.

Casting an eel and reeling with a J hook should be OK (according to the EPO I talked to regarding this reg). Maybe I am mistaken??

Passes muster as far as the "Cast and Retrieve" criteria, at least IMO.  To me the remaining open question is "what constitutes an artificial lure?"

Do jig heads, wobble heads, weighted worm hooks (Not that I'd use them for live eels.), single hook that keeps a sinker in place in the eel's mouth, etc. constitute artificial lures?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Sounds as if there will be a lot of "officer discretion" stuff until the new regs get worked out.   

I wouldn't mind seeing the circle hook rule expanded to other species.  It seems every scup, tog or sea bass I see caught in the canal these days has swallowed the hook.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Went 0 for 4 last night. Inline circle 8/0 which looks plenty big enough. Not snelling hook using palomar knot. Will try a snell, but loosing faith. Plugged an hour before false dawn and picked up a 37 inch fish to salvage the trip. I usually just fish eels as I for some reason want to break 45 pounds from surf and eels give me my best shot. I have a boat 50 and honestly just a live bunker in right place. A big surf fish has eluded me. Most likely giving up on live eels and will try rigging them.