imdannoir

New to SF - NJ Transplant

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi SOL,

Just moved from NYC where I was able to target stripers / fluke on LI, and previously grew up on striper fishing in Moco in Jersey. I'd like to get in-the-know of how to target stripers here in SF ASAP. With WFH there's quite a bit of time to wet lines... and I haven't been so time to change that :) 

Regarding tackle, 7-8ft, 1-3 oz lures, 20lb test fine? Any specific months that are best in SF? Bucktails / Topwater / Soft plastic / metal?

Re: locations - without spot burning i've noticed a couple of places with fisherman since my move in the last 3 weeks. I can reach them all by car. (Please delete if too much info)

1. (Bayside) One near an International Airport (saw multiple fisherman sticking bait)

2. (Bayside) A beach to the right of the golden gate (saw 2 fly fishermen)

3. (Ocean Side) a beach with a lot of campfires  ( an unbelievable amount of birds diving)

If anyone would like to meet up / discuss im happy to buy a couple of beers and get casting.

Thank you

Welcome to the West Coast.  Don't fish SF much so can't comment on that. Now's the time to be fishing the surf - as mentioned - bucktails, topwater, metal etc. are all good.  A 7' rod seems a little small to me.  Ocean Beach is a well known fishing area.  Lots of big rips and some steep beaches around so be careful out there (in general).  Walk the beaches and find the holes.  Run n gun.  I'm sure others will chime in that can give sound advice.  

Definitely, be more careful like he said.  Sometimes, the waves are too rough and basically the fish move deeper so you will not even catch perch.  I think Ocean Beach is over fished so you will need to walk a lot to look for the fish.  I like the beaches more south. Just look for places with a lot of sand crabs but they tend to be steeper beaches and more dangerous.

Light tackle is a thing here especially in SoCal. You need to walk the beach and the stripers are smaller IMO compared to the East Coast beaches, but others may disagree.  Because you need to cast farther, I think 10'6" or 11" is my preference for rods with surfcasting. I'm not good at bucktails but I hear they use around 1oz or less like 3/4oz.  Metals 1-2oz. I use the Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110. There is a pinned thread but also check on the many regulations. The SF Bay tends to have more mercury in the fish including the freshwater inland from gold mining.

Welcome to the West Coast.   There is currently a good amount of Stripers in the bay and about to head out to the ocean pretty soon.   Access on some of the inner bay spots can be tricky or risky due to break ins.  As far as Surf Setups, check out the sticky on top of this forum.  I personally like a 10-11' rod that can handle 1-3oz.  My Favorite setup currently is my 11' Century Stealth 2-5oz with the Saltiga 5000h on 40lb braid.  I like to target larger fish (more skunks lol)  so overplaying them is not a option for me.  I try to bring them in withing 2-3min if not quicker.    Send me a DM, if ya want.  Our current fishery is 1/8th of what is available on the East but there is always that potential to land a Giant.  

Welcome to the West imdanoir! Don't forget the other species that were not available to you before in the East; Pacific King Salmon running right now in the Bay, Sturgeon coming up in the Fall, you think fluke are tough customers try our two species of halibut with Pacific Hali's able to reach epic proportions, toothy Lingcod in the kelp forests, Surf Perch another species in the surf, and why not that rare and so colorful it looks surreal and painted state fish, the Golden Trout in the high sierras. Lots of fish, so little time, better get to fishing! 

Thank you everyone! I will send DMs once my gear ships over from the parent's shed next week!

Any & all further comments are absolutely welcome - want to get as much information as possible

Welcome to the west coast. If you want to hit the beaches in Monterey Bay hit me up. I would be happy to show you around. My home base is Santa Cruz but fish in many different areas. I moved out here 18 years ago from Long Island where I was a striped bass nut. It's tough out here and the fishery has declined quite a bit (IMHO) in the last 5-10 years but there are still some fish to catch.  Summer is also a great time to catch a halibut from shore.

Lee

Update here:

I've probably spent ~100 hours on the water between July-Now and have only caught 1 halibut & 1 smelt. (Metal Kastmaster & Frozen Anchovy Respectively)

Probably lost ~$200+ worth of jigs in this time... 

Getting seriously discouraged 

I read Abe C.'s Bible on SF Striper fishing, and have met a lot of locals on the water, studied tides, winds, moons, structure but still didn't get a single bite or visible strike this summer. I have also religiously read the posts on these forums since my days at Berkeley. 

I am confident I am trying the correct locations & lures as I have touched base with a number of locals & check in at tackle shops for news. One spot in particular has a lot of skunks (both literally & figuratively in my case) which others are catching 5+ Halibut a day regularly. Lures have been hairraisers, jigheads with soft plastics, metals, & topwater. I love using topwater on the east coast but it seems absolutely nothing in the Bay will take a heddon spook.

Absolutely any assistance is helpful. I am working remote nowadays and have a lot of time to put on the water, but do not want to keep throwing money in the water. This week I took the entire week off to fish every high tide with no success (excluding the halibut)

Happy to buy anyone a beer if you'd be interesting in meeting up! Please DM or respond directly I would love to hear from you.

Fall run stripers should start pushing back into the bay and up the system soon. Also fish more than high tides, use the maps to figure where the current breaks, rips, and seams will be when tide is flooding and ebbing. Try those areas and keep an eye out for baitfish. Stripers will be swimming into the current. Don't get discouraged, If you put in the time for the next few months and get some repetition on spots you will learn quite a bit. 

Thanks Salmonned Help!

I fished last night with some live anchovies provided by a new friend and lost a nice sized halibut. Thinking about switching to live bait.

Purchased additinal swivels, weights, hooks, jigheads, softplastics, metals, cast net, and a bucket w aerator off amazon today. need to break this first striper cherry asap

I think it is a slower striper season than last year or I just did better last year.  Bait fishing will always beat lure fishing when you know what you are doing.  I would try using sand crabs for the beach. Live bait from a pier or boat would work too.

Well boys, I am getting closer! Yesterday I hooked a NICE 10+lber in my favorite "skunk" spot.

4-6ft of water, saw him make a couple of swirls and bait jumping... alas, casted on top of the swirl, reeled in quickly and was on. He wrapped around a piling & line ripped. A nice couple of jumps while hooked. Figuring this out. Looking forward to the next tide!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice, what the stage of the tide, you hit that, are you fishing in sf bay from shore? I am beginner, new fishing in sf bay, oakland trying to catch one as well.

Edited by 247fishing

3 hours ago, 247fishing said:

Nice, what the stage of the tide, you hit that, are you fishing in sf bay from shore? I am beginner, new fishing in sf bay, oakland trying to catch one as well.

Hey 247 - I'm definitely figuring this out. PM me!

I was fishing 2 hours before peak high, and 30 minutes after. Today I did exactly the same - the fish were busting - some big ones too! Couldn't get one to bite (krocodile, 3/4oz jig head + swimbait, & top water). I've planned ahead for the next couple of tides.

I am fishing from SF bay, SOMA industrial waterfront mainly, from shore.

If I were you, I'd head to the University flats. They are expansive enough and if you do not get a striper they have a great halibut bite.

Hope the spot names are vague enough SOL! If not, please edit.