FlukUlele

Light duty surf rod, really light...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My first true surf rod was an airwave elite 9,6 with a spinfisher 6 bailess 4500. It is an awesome setup. SUPER light. The biggest fish I have caught on it was a 15 pound plus blue. Thing was from my waist to the sand and im 6 feet tall. After learning how to fish heavy current and rips along the beach, I found that fishing larger plugs and bucktails the pole kinda got overwhelmed a bit. I picked up a 9 foot st.croix mojo surf and that pole seems to do that job better for me and my stlye. But if I am fishing calmer surf the first light setup is my go to. I did buy a 10 foot saltx rod with the 6k saltx reel. Just started fishing with it and I am not sure how I feel about the two. Just need more time on them. Anyways best of luck.

My back bay / calm ocean set up is a 9’ lami carbon medium with shimano Stradic 4000 & 20lb super slick. Perfect for 1-2oz. My first year bringing anything other than a 10’ to the ocean. Nice purchase with unexpected range. 

Okuma Rockaway, either 9' or 10' 9my choice) rated 1/2oz to 2oz with Shimano 4 size or smaller reel.

With line and lure all together less than 20 oz