FlukUlele

Light duty surf rod, really light...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hi - ran into a guy yesterday on SS with nice light combo, air wave 9’6 and penn SSVI 4500.  (And if you’re here it was good chatting to you).  Rummaged around the garage and found my 8 foot Triumph Surf.  Just put my 3500 slammer on there (w 20# power pro) and think I’ll walk the beach w this chucking tins and bucktails.   Looking to get some fluke, robins, and small bass or blues.  Am I asking for trouble?

Looking to get a proper 9 footer for open beach and nicer days but don’t feel like shopping for it right now.  I’ve got a nice inshore rod for fluking but it only handles about 1 oz.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Technology is so good now honestly a 3500 slammer with 20lb braid on an 8ft rod I can’t think of anything you wouldn't get in pretty easy off the open beach besides a large ray. 

I’d actually go down in line weight to 10-15 pick up some distance

Edited by carznfish

Short light stick means less fatigue which is wonderful. The only issue is with that time, once in a while, when you need distance. And then you regret you didn't bring the 11-footer with you. Thankfully, 95% of times fish are right in front of you.

personally really like the airwave 9.5" with penn 4500 series reel for a light surf setup. i finally figured out how to keep the bail-less SSVi from spinning on the backcast that i've been bitching about for a couple years, but I still like the slammer 3 better.

Thanks - going to stick w my 20# since it’s what I have. 

What #test leader would I be best using. I’ve got 20, 30, 40, 50, 80 and 100 from tying fly leaders.  Thinking 50 or 80 since the blues are around. What do you think?

Was also thinking a straight shot of 30 with 6” of 100 at the clip as a bite guard. This is done in fly applications often but haven’t come across it here (haven’t really looked). 

12 hours ago, Rough said:

Short light stick means less fatigue which is wonderful. The only issue is with that time, once in a while, when you need distance. And then you regret you didn't bring the 11-footer with you. 

Can’t tell how many days I getting dirty looks hooking up every cast while the light rod crew can’t get a sniff ..  and also when them big fish hit at the end of a long cast the little rods just don’t have the hook setting power to stick them way out there .. 132-1m lifer here 

During the summer I fish a backwater spot on the north shore. I use a 7 foot St Croix panfish rod with a penn battle 2 1000 with 6 pound braid. My success ratio went up by lightening up. I’ve landed stripers up to 25 pounds and weakfish into the teens on this outfit. It’s not for everyone. Set your drag correctly and fish with what you are comfortable with. 

Where I fish lighter is better. I fish a lot of inshore / freshwater rods out front. Most lures I fish are less than 1oz. A 10ft will not cast a 1/2oz with rubber any farther than a 7 foot, but will wear you out. With that said I wouldn't the throwing top water with a 7 footer either. So I guess it depends on your location and lure weights you want to throw. For plastics shorter is better for me and I rarely fish plugs or poppers.

With this heat the fishing is becoming a late night bite. The spot I fish resembles a freshwater pond. If I throw anything other than an unweighted plastic the bite tends to shut down. A 5-7 inch plastics bait hooked through the nose with a small tuna hook lands quietly and the weight of the hook gets it down to the fish. 

I use a similar setup for light ocean fishing (mostly fluke) and almost all my back bay fishing. Obviously if the surf is pounding and the fish are out there, you will be undergunned. 

10 hours ago, faithless said:

A 10ft will not cast a 1/2oz with rubber any farther than a 7 foot, but will wear you out.

LOL

So wrong there

It all depends on the rod you are using.

Some 7 foot may wear you much more than certain 10 footer.

I am a big fan of Okuma Rockaway.

6 mins ago, Popasilov said:

LOL

So wrong there

It all depends on the rod you are using.

Some 7 foot may wear you much more than certain 10 footer.

I am a big fan of Okuma Rockaway.

You are talking about niche rods not surf rods.

Just now, faithless said:

You are talking about niche rods not surf rods.

No way

I am talking about surf rods.

11 hours ago, TFLT said:

During the summer I fish a backwater spot on the north shore. I use a 7 foot St Croix panfish rod with a penn battle 2 1000 with 6 pound braid. My success ratio went up by lightening up. I’ve landed stripers up to 25 pounds and weakfish into the teens on this outfit. It’s not for everyone. Set your drag correctly and fish with what you are comfortable with. 

I fish the same size setup all the time i even use mine in the surf on calm days.